Does anyone else have a HUGE bulldog?

E55AMG

Apr 11, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Does anyone else here have big bullies? Just asking because my guy is huge!!!!! He just hit 8 months and heā€™s already over 60 lbs. Right now heā€™s on TOTW 3.5 cups a day, but Iā€™m thinking of going RAW. He looks much taller than most bullies I see online, Iā€™m wondering if heā€™s mixed. As of right now he stands around 17 inches at the shoulder maybe 18 at most. Heā€™s full AKC and everything so I donā€™t know. His name is Leo but everyone calls him Beast Hahaha. I love him to death. What do you guys think? Post some pics of yours if you have any.
6cd60400b7e59aa9c396d1bc6b2855ba.jpg
0ad49098c7d33db2f875076cdb378cb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Does anyone else here have big bullies? Just asking because my guy is huge!!!!! He just hit 8 months and heā€™s already over 60 lbs. Right now heā€™s on TOTW 3.5 cups a day, but Iā€™m thinking of going RAW. He looks much taller than most bullies I see online, Iā€™m wondering if heā€™s mixed. As of right now he stands around 17 inches at the shoulder maybe 18 at most. Heā€™s full AKC and everything so I donā€™t know. His name is Leo but everyone calls him Beast Hahaha. I love him to death. What do you guys think? Post some pics of yours if you have any.

Leo is absolutely gorgeous!! Dont think just go raw. Keeps dogs on the slim side. Very shiny coat.

OP
E

E55AMG

Apr 11, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Thank you! Yeah Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to do it. I just need to read up on it some more, and talk to the local butcher.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! Yeah Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to do it. I just need to read up on it some more, and talk to the local butcher.

Checkout the link below I just posted that. You can base yourself on the % of the ingredients. No need to be the same ingredients but important for the percentage inside the meal. I never buy the ones with veggies and fruits because I rather give veggies and fruits myself as I always eat veggies everyday. Personally I rather have control on what my dogs eat. I always feed them frozen. Rule of thumb, 1lb for a 50lb dog.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ood-and-nutrition/59970-food-da-furballs.html

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Omg how majestic is Leo! He is really a beast:D but beautiful beast!
There is some possibility that he has a bit of other blood in him, because of size and solid black colour. Actually solid black colour is disqualifying for English bulldog, so I wonder how the breeder managed to get him registered.
But he is very beautiful and in excellent shape - well fed but not overweight.

OP
E

E55AMG

Apr 11, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Yeah Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing. His father is the same color but more of a Merle and the mother is the usual white/red pattern. What Iā€™ve read about AKC is that black is a disqualifying color for show, but itā€™s still recognized. Iā€™ve seen many Black Tri bulldogs, but rarely see any black seal. Iā€™m pretty sure he has some other blood in him because he is so freaking tall. Iā€™m wondering if he has some Olde in him. Itā€™s crazy how someone can sell you puppy with fake papers. Just odd because I registered him and everything.

OP
E

E55AMG

Apr 11, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Checkout the link below I just posted that. You can base yourself on the % of the ingredients. No need to be the same ingredients but important for the percentage inside the meal. I never buy the ones with veggies and fruits because I rather give veggies and fruits myself as I always eat veggies everyday. Personally I rather have control on what my dogs eat. I always feed them frozen. Rule of thumb, 1lb for a 50lb dog.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ood-and-nutrition/59970-food-da-furballs.html

Thanks, Iā€™ll give this site a check.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing. His father is the same color but more of a Merle and the mother is the usual white/red pattern. What Iā€™ve read about AKC is that black is a disqualifying color for show, but itā€™s still recognized. Iā€™ve seen many Black Tri bulldogs, but rarely see any black seal. Iā€™m pretty sure he has some other blood in him because he is so freaking tall. Iā€™m wondering if he has some Olde in him. Itā€™s crazy how someone can sell you puppy with fake papers. Just odd because I registered him and everything.

Itā€™s also true - black colour isnā€™t good for show or breeding but still can be registered. There is actually nothing wrong with black colour in purebred bulldogs, I donā€™t know about any health issues bound to black colour and as far as I know black colour is excluded from breeding just because of very simple reason - black is the most genetically dominant and if you use black dams or sires for breeding very soon all other colours will be suppressed and all Bulldogs will be black!
And I think youā€™re right about possibility of Olde bulldog blood, because his face, ears, body shape are nice, he has no big flaws in his appearance. I donā€™t see other breeds in him. He is a good looking boy. I wonder how his siblings are growing, are there any more biggies? Because his big size can be just his peculiarity too, I mean if all other pups are average size.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
All breeders I know would be against breeding any color against the AKC standards.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

I think heā€™s gorgeous.

OP
E

E55AMG

Apr 11, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Thank you!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

I donā€™t know if this will help you or not, but these were Ollieā€™s measurements at 14 months old. Heā€™s almost 2 now and no Tiny Tim himself.
0bbf75d0c2b5c045b17970ed8e875c50.jpg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
All breeders I know would be against breeding any color against the AKC standards.

For sure no reputable breeder will breed wrong colour dog. It is prohibited by the national Codes of behaviour of breeders.
To be honest with you, in most European kennel clubs English bulldog with solid black colour would be never even registered (breeder wouldnā€™t even bring him to club) because getting a puppy like this can mean 2 things -
1) dam or sire have other than bulldog blood somewhere in bloodline, that means bad heritage, even if all other puppies look normal, bloodline can have surprises
2) unwanted mating happened to dam and black puppy is not purebred
third possible option is a mutation, but not very likely. Occasional mutation usually produces solid black in Bulldogs as far as I know.
None of these two options is good for the breeder reputation. So, first of all, no breeder would even bring a puppy like this to kennel club to register. They would sell him as a pet quality puppy without pedigree.
But here in the US I see a lot of experimenting with other bloods mixed into EB - pitties, Olde, Rottweiler etc to get unusual sizes and colours like tricolour etc. In Europe it is more traditional. I donā€™t know which approach is better, keeping bloodline clean produces more typical EB, but with more health issues. Mixing may give them potentially better health, but will always carry a surprise- how the puppy will turn when he or she is grown up. Questions, questions...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
With all above said, black colour doesnā€™t carry usually any health issues (like white animals with lighter eyes who can be deaf, or Merle colour which also not standard for bulldogs which together with liver colour nose can predict certain health issues).
And seems like Leoā€™s owner knew that black colour is not standard and they chose him because they liked him. He is a gorgeous boy and beautiful bulldog!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow.. he is gorgeous! Agreed, he is taller and could have OEB in his line somewhere.

I switched my two to raw about 18 months ago and wonā€™t go backā€” the health benefits have been amazing

Members online

No members online now.