OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
That is a lot of food... try cutting back to 2 cups a day. What food do you feed?

Pills... watermelon or vanilla ice cream (just a small amount). are my go to,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Iā€™ll different foods for the meds.
American Journey is the food & the amount is weight based. Iā€™ll consider giving the little guy less.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Finley is 1 year 2 months He gets about 3-1/2 cups per day & is the fittest little bully there ever was.

New question (always have questions) - any tricks to get him to take his meds? Food, peanut butter, nor pill pockets work. Having to force it; which is leaving me feeling poorly.

That is a lot of food... try cutting back to 2 cups a day. What food do you feed?

Pills... watermelon or vanilla ice cream (just a small amount). are my go to,

American Journey is the food & the amount is weight based. Iā€™ll consider giving the little guy less.

I think amount of food will depend on how active the dog is and their build. Louie ate 4 cups of kibble until he was neutered at almost 1 years old. He is now 2 and eats 2 cups of kibble in the am and about 9.5 ounces of raw in the pm and he is not overweight at all.

For pills, I have stuck them in little pieces of cheese before and that always seems to work.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If Finley stopped eating what he used to eat well, it could be just taste change. I remember when without reason Tank stopped eating his normal food, and he is always hungry. So I changed food from time to time now and never happened again. But I home cook.
Another reason, did you change may be bowl? Once Tank got expensive new bowl...and was scared of it. Slowly hunger forced him to eat but he never finished food (which is unbelievable). I gave him back his 5 dollar Pyrex bowl and he was fine! Expensive bowl went to waste.
Bulldogs are very OCD and biggest chickens when it comes to life and environment changes. So, I want to propose a third option - are you sure he loves day care? May be he is traumatised there ( I mean mentally), or gets sensory overload - too much smells, sounds, dogs to play with and then he is kinda shocked for some time? Just a thought.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How often does he go to daycare? I read an article about sending your dog too often is too much stimulation and they need time to decompress and rest and itā€™s not good to go too many days in a row.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Finley is 1 year 2 months He gets about 3-1/2 cups per day & is the fittest little bully there ever was.

New question (always have questions) - any tricks to get him to take his meds? Food, peanut butter, nor pill pockets work. Having to force it; which is leaving me feeling poorly.

Imported Brie

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Like [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] mentioned, depending on your dogā€™s activity, if heā€™s very fit n moves a lot n perfect weight, what youā€™re feeding is probably fine. My 2 suppose to eat, one pound each of raw but they still get between 1/2 -1cup of veggies/fruits pet day. When they were on kibbles (acana) both 2cups each per day plus their veggies hasnā€™t changed. They also get every other day, EVOO, fermented sauerkraut, sardines. Every day for noon snack they get frozen herring. Both my dogs are very fit especially Duke. Nyala can lose a couple pounds which she does get a tad less food than Duke but Iā€™m not fussing on her cause she moves just as much as Duke.

For meds, cheese works wonders.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Finley is fit. Everyone marvels at how lean he is, including the vet. This is because he is very active. He has been that way since day one, all on his own. I donā€™t think he knows he is a bulldog. That said, Finley absolutely loves daycare. He would drive himself if possible. He is type of dog that wants constant attention. The daycare is also the best. They take extremely good care of him. If he doesnā€™t rest himself while there, the daycare folks will do it to prevent him from overdoing it. My thinking is that he is both tired and little sad being away from his friends. Also after mulling it over some more, he did have an infection & it most likely curbed his appetite. He ate all of his dinner tonight.

My largest concern is getting the medication in him. No matter what I use to mask the med he sniffs it out and refuses it or spits it out. Iā€™m at a lost here.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley is fit. Everyone marvels at how lean he is, including the vet. This is because he is very active. He has been that way since day one, all on his own. I donā€™t think he knows he is a bulldog. That said, Finley absolutely loves daycare. He would drive himself if possible. He is type of dog that wants constant attention. The daycare is also the best. They take extremely good care of him. If he doesnā€™t rest himself while there, the daycare folks will do it to prevent him from overdoing it. My thinking is that he is both tired and little sad being away from his friends. Also after mulling it over some more, he did have an infection & it most likely curbed his appetite. He ate all of his dinner tonight.

My largest concern is getting the medication in him. No matter what I use to mask the med he sniffs it out and refuses it or spits it out. Iā€™m at a lost here.

Duke once had to take Benadryl and like yours spit it out. So I know he loves them baby bell cheese. I hide a pill in it but had another piece of cheese waiting for him right above his nose. So he swallowed the first awaiting for the second piece above his nose. And it worked. Btw what meds is he taking?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Your description totally mimics my first bulldog, Nitschkeā€” all you say of daycare, eating and pill spitting.... vanilla ice creamā€” it is cold so he just swallowed

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Yā€™all are just awesome! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I tried the cheese trick and it worked!!! I never considered hovering a second bite of food over his head. Thanks for the idea. And in answer to your question, he is on Clindamycin 150 mg.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yā€™all are just awesome! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I tried the cheese trick and it worked!!! I never considered hovering a second bite of food over his head. Thanks for the idea. And in answer to your question, he is on Clindamycin 150 mg.

Glad the hovering worked lol

Clindamycin may result in these side effects:

Allergic reaction (labored breathing, hives, etc)
Vomiting
Severe diarrhea (may contain blood)
Loss of appetite!!!

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Glad the hovering worked lol

Clindamycin may result in these side effects:

Allergic reaction (labored breathing, hives, etc)
Vomiting
Severe diarrhea (may contain blood)
Loss of appetite!!!

Thanks for the FYI. So far, we have been blessed & no issues. A few more days to go.
How long does it take for the cyst to go away? It shrank considerably but, is still there. The color is normal and no pain or tenderness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the FYI. So far, we have been blessed & no issues. A few more days to go.
How long does it take for the cyst to go away? It shrank considerably but, is still there. The color is normal and no pain or tenderness.

Usually about a week

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Earlier I found a new one on Dukeā€™s paw. It was red n was already broken. I immediately put the bag balm as I noticed it worked better than my mixture of Alun. Put his socks on and itā€™s much better. Yes like Christine said takes a good 4-7days. I use a baby wipe n squeeze it to clean it properly. Then I put the bag balm with a q-tip n put his sock. Duke licks his paws cause he has anxiety so I know itā€™s not his food. This dog licks everything and anything. Sometimes licks Nyala ā€˜s face till no tomorrow. Mind you she does the same n itā€™s like talking to toddlers. Nyala stop, Duke stop etc etc.. Took them for a very long walk. I think i burnt them both. Not one has gotten up after their supper lol. So Duke hasnā€™t licked his paw cause heā€™s snoring...

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Earlier I found a new one on Dukeā€™s paw. It was red n was already broken. I immediately put the bag balm as I noticed it worked better than my mixture of Alun. Put his socks on and itā€™s much better. Yes like Christine said takes a good 4-7days. I use a baby wipe n squeeze it to clean it properly. Then I put the bag balm with a q-tip n put his sock. Duke licks his paws cause he has anxiety so I know itā€™s not his food. This dog licks everything and anything. Sometimes licks Nyala ā€˜s face till no tomorrow. Mind you she does the same n itā€™s like talking to toddlers. Nyala stop, Duke stop etc etc.. Took them for a very long walk. I think i burnt them both. Not one has gotten up after their supper lol. So Duke hasnā€™t licked his paw cause heā€™s snoring...

Finley is also licker. He licks me, the walls, his paws, ....
Bag balm is on my shopping list. Where did you find socks? I put a set on Finley and was shocked by how well he walked in them. They didnā€™t affect his gait in the least! Toddler socks fit Finleyā€™s paws but are too big for his legs, they slide off. Allowing him to remove them in 3 seconds flat. His paws are too large for the commercial stores like Petco.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.