Hoarse from pulling and harness question

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So Thor recently became hoarse from pulling. He just PULLS andPULLS when he sees people and dogs, to the point of choking, and once even throwing up. We have to somehow manage to keep him taught on the leash and maneuver to the front to pick him up, or he would run onto the street if pressure isn't released, or choke if it isn't. Now he is hoarse, and I am HOPING it isn't lar par or something permanent. Took him to the vet who looked inside his mouth while pulling out his tongue, and said he was inflamed inside, but could not know more w/o putting him under and properly reviewing.

BTW, he does know how to walk on a collar and leash and only does it during potty time, if anything comes nearby when he goes outside (people or dogs - it's a common (and only) potty area for the neighborhood block).

He did recommend we get him a harness.

Thor is 4.5 months old, and between 3'0 and 40 lbs. I am attaching a pic.

So questions:

1. Should I worry and/or how to I make him better? Anyone have this happen?
2. Looking at harnesses. Julius seems the best but hate the advertising. Could get patches, but hate the lettering. Might get it anyway. If so, what size, 0 or 1? They are expensive and he will outgrow whatever.
3. Nothing local, so whatever I order will take 10 days (we are in Central America and retail for these things suck here). What to do in the meantime? I do have a martingale collar coming in that I could use, would it make much of a difference (as it spreads the pressure)?

Anything else to consider or any other harness that are similar/comparable, w/o the road-sign on each side?

Attachments

• IMG-20190401-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20190401-WA0029.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 172

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] what size of Julius harness? I think you have one correct?

Duke was a puller. Still is for the first minute then stops as he wears a choker. A choker must be worn under the jawline n not the neck as itā€™s useless n dangerous for them breed. There are harnesses the clip on is in the back near the hip. Sounds dumb but I had a winter jacket the clip was on the bum side n it really throws the back legs out of balance when you pull with the leash. I found it smart as it redirects the dog.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] what size of Julius harness? I think you have one correct?

Duke was a puller. Still is for the first minute then stops as he wears a choker. A choker must be worn under the jawline n not the neck as itā€™s useless n dangerous for them breed. There are harnesses the clip on is in the back near the hip. Sounds dumb but I had a winter jacket the clip was on the bum side n it really throws the back legs out of balance when you pull with the leash. I found it smart as it redirects the dog.

Not me. But several people on here have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
This was a regular collar...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not me. But several people on here have them.

Go figure thought you did.. sorry... [MENTION=18808]Sinister[/MENTION], hang on others will answer you.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Go figure thought you did.. sorry... [MENTION=18808]Sinister[/MENTION], hang on others will answer you.

Louie either wears the pinch or martingale while walking but heā€™s never been a big puller.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie either wears the pinch or martingale while walking but heā€™s never been a big puller.

Lucky he doesnā€™t in winter lolll...

[MENTION=18808]Sinister[/MENTION] does Thor also jump on people when they come to visit you at the house?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor (who is not a puller, though; it's we who pull him!) uses a Hurtta padded harness: https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/padded-y-harness It's good both for winter and summer. I might be wrong, but in a hot climate, I wonder if something like the Julius harness is not too hot?

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Lucky he doesnā€™t in winter lolll...

[MENTION=18808]Sinister[/MENTION] does Thor also jump on people when they come to visit you at the house?

Nope. Just potty time.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Castor (who is not a puller, though; it's we who pull him!) uses a Hurtta padded harness: https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/padded-y-harness It's good both for winter and summer. I might be wrong, but in a hot climate, I wonder if something like the Julius harness is not too hot?

Might be too hot...but then again, even with the collar it is too hot, even no collar in our terrace it is too hot and he starts suffocating, so we don't take him out but to go potty, when it is too hot out (times of the day). So tje main issue is a harnwsa that can stand the pulling and abuse, and is the most gentle on hom, but also easy on and easy off.

But mostly I'm concerned about the hoarseness.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
So Thor recently became hoarse from pulling. He just PULLS andPULLS when he sees people and dogs, to the point of choking, and once even throwing up. We have to somehow manage to keep him taught on the leash and maneuver to the front to pick him up, or he would run onto the street if pressure isn't released, or choke if it isn't. Now he is hoarse, and I am HOPING it isn't lar par or something permanent. Took him to the vet who looked inside his mouth while pulling out his tongue, and said he was inflamed inside, but could not know more w/o putting him under and properly reviewing.

BTW, he does know how to walk on a collar and leash and only does it during potty time, if anything comes nearby when he goes outside (people or dogs - it's a common (and only) potty area for the neighborhood block).

So questions:

2. Looking at harnesses. Julius seems the best but hate the advertising. Could get patches, but hate the lettering. Might get it anyway. If so, what size, 0 or 1? They are expensive and he will outgrow whatever.
3. Nothing local, so whatever I order will take 10 days (we are in Central America and retail for these things suck here). What to do in the meantime? I do have a martingale collar coming in that I could use, would it make much of a difference (as it spreads the pressure)?

Anything else to consider or any other harness that are similar/comparable, w/o the road-sign on each side?

Hi there! When Joey was Thor's age, still a pup, she was a puller too. So we started training with the harness, never a flat collar, choke collar, nothing but the harness. Have you tried leash training? It's a method where you walk a few steps, dog is trained to sit, give treat, keep walking, etc. Joey ended up NOT PULLING and when we stop she sits and waits for people to come to her. I had no knowledge of EBs when I got Joey as a pup (she will be 4 years old end of May) so I came to this amazing forum for help. I decided, based on advice here, that Joey would only ever use a harness and nothing on when she is in the house. Here is a photo of the harness that has been great for my girl Joey:

IMG_7714.jpg

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

So questions:

Ollie wears Julius K9 as his ā€œwork uniformā€. He bigger and wears a size 2. To get the right size, measure width of chest, measure girth and measure from neck to tail. There is a size chart on their web page. They are in Tampa FL so shipping to Central America should be fairly fast. You can order custom patches with dogā€™s name or good boy or whatever you think is cute. Julius K9 is best thing that ever happened to us. Also itā€™s very light very easy to get on and great for dogs that live in hot climates as you and I do.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have an Ezydog chest plate harness for my Frenchie and a Ruffwear harness for Louie.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nope. Just potty time.

We had a discussion somewhere not too long ago if it was normal when their dog after going potty it runs and goes wild. Maybe thatā€™s what yours is doing. Which is normal for some dogs to run n go out of control for a minute.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi there! When Joey was Thor's age, still a pup, she was a puller too. So we started training with the harness, never a flat collar, choke collar, nothing but the harness. Have you tried leash training? It's a method where you walk a few steps, dog is trained to sit, give treat, keep walking, etc. Joey ended up NOT PULLING and when we stop she sits and waits for people to come to her. I had no knowledge of EBs when I got Joey as a pup (she will be 4 years old end of May) so I came to this amazing forum for help. I decided, based on advice here, that Joey would only ever use a harness and nothing on when she is in the house. Here is a photo of the harness that has been great for my girl Joey:

View attachment 116085

Yeah, he walks perfectly with a leash, as I mentioned. Perfectly next to me, not falling behind, just the right amount of slack, not even ahead of me. It is not a when walking issue, or a leash issue...but there is the issue and I do have the concerns.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online