OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Ollie wears Julius K9 as his “work uniform”. He bigger and wears a size 2. To get the right size, measure width of chest, measure girth and measure from neck to tail. There is a size chart on their web page. They are in Tampa FL so shipping to Central America should be fairly fast. You can order custom patches with dog’s name or good boy or whatever you think is cute. Julius K9 is best thing that ever happened to us. Also it’s very light very easy to get on and great for dogs that live in hot climates as you and I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I get everything shipped from a freight forwader, but yeah everything will take a few days to a week anyway, and I need to figure out how not to cause more damage in the interim. But he has to continue to go potty in the meatine, and I am concerned about more damage. And will he be OK from this, or could he have Laryngeal Paralysis?

- - - Updated - - -

We had a discussion somewhere not too long ago if it was normal when their dog after going potty it runs and goes wild. Maybe that’s what yours is doing. Which is normal for some dogs to run n go out of control for a minute.

It JUST happens if another person or dog comes in the area, since he wants to go play with them.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Ollie wears Julius K9 as his “work uniform”. He bigger and wears a size 2. To get the right size, measure width of chest, measure girth and measure from neck to tail. There is a size chart on their web page. They are in Tampa FL so shipping to Central America should be fairly fast. You can order custom patches with dog’s name or good boy or whatever you think is cute. Julius K9 is best thing that ever happened to us. Also it’s very light very easy to get on and great for dogs that live in hot climates as you and I do.

Thanks. I get everything shipped from a freight forwarder, but yeah everything will take a few days to a week anyway, and I need to figure out how not to cause more damage in the interim. But he has to continue to go potty in the meantime, and I am concerned about more damage. And will he be OK from this, or could he have Laryngeal Paralysis?

Also, even if measured, not sure if to go for whatt would be the current size, or the next since would work while he grows into it, if he is between sizes.

I have to go buy a seamstress-style measuring tape.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Use string or yarn to measure each part. Cut it. Hold it up against whatever measuring tool you use.

Get what will fit him now. Proper fit is important. There is room for quite a bit of adjustment including larger but at his age he’ll need another as he gets older.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks. I get everything shipped from a freight forwader, but yeah everything will take a few days to a week anyway, and I need to figure out how not to cause more damage in the interim. But he has to continue to go potty in the meatine, and I am concerned about more damage. And will he be OK from this, or could he have Laryngeal Paralysis?

- - - Updated - - -

It JUST happens if another person or dog comes in the area, since he wants to go play with them.

Sounds not so much a harness/collar issue but a training issue. You need to work with him and train him in how to behave when other dogs/people come around.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Sounds not so much a harness/collar issue but a training issue. You need to work with him and train him in how to behave when other dogs/people come around.

I know and our other dogs are good, but the other dogs aren't Bulldogs and were trained using choke/martingale collars. Scared to use that on him...and I ALREADY have the issue.

And right now the hoarseness is the concern.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I know and our other dogs are good, but the other dogs aren't Bulldogs and were trained using choke/martingale collars. Scared to use that on him...and I ALREADY have the issue.

I understand you have the issue, but he needs to be trained and learn how to behave so this doesn't keep happening. I use either a pinch or martingale when walking Louie...no reason to be scared as long as you use correctly.

As for the hoarseness, are you worried that he is injured from the pulling and the collar pressing on his throat? He might be a little sore but if there no damage, it should go away. If you think there is damage, have the vet take a look.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I understand you have the issue, but he needs to be trained and learn how to behave so this doesn't keep happening. I use either a pinch or martingale when walking Louie...no reason to be scared as long as you use correctly.

As for the hoarseness, are you worried that he is injured from the pulling and the collar pressing on his throat? He might be a little sore but if there no damage, it should go away. If you think there is damage, have the vet take a look.

How do I know if there is damage? Would the martingale cause less damage than the regular collar, while he learns?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

- - - Updated - - -

Well then it’s either you put your foot down or you’ll need a trainer to help you out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Martingale is the best for what you describe, I’m not a fan of choke collars for just the reason you mention, if not used right it can cause damage . Lambeau is just like your guy and the martingale worked perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Martingale is the best for what you describe, I’m not a fan of choke collars for just the reason you mention, if not used right it can cause damage . Lambeau is just like your guy and the martingale worked perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know. So maybe I can skip the harness. Doe she still choke on a martingale? Or not the way it distributes the pressure around?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good to know. So maybe I can skip the harness. Doe she still choke on a martingale? Or not the way it distributes the pressure around?

The martingale give a correction so he usually settles down after the first two snaps of the collar

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So the vet put him under and checked him out, at our insistence. Supposedly he has Elongated Soft Palate and that why he sounds hoarse sometimes. He said to leave it alone, since he is still under 5 months old, and monitor him as he grows up. What are your thoughts?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So the vet put him under and checked him out, at our insistence. Supposedly he has Elongated Soft Palate and that why he sounds hoarse sometimes. He said to leave it alone, since he is still under 5 months old, and monitor him as he grows up. What are your thoughts?

It is not a bad suggestion, if he is not vomiting or out of breath quickly when walking, it can wait. Two of my bulldogs had it done, my Frenchie had to have it done twice because it can grow back.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
It is not a bad suggestion, if he is not vomiting or out of breath quickly when walking, it can wait. Two of my bulldogs had it done, my Frenchie had to have it done twice because it can grow back.

Vet said he MIGHT (emphasis on might) grow out of it - but does that mean that if he does not, and even if it does not get worse, he will have trouble vocalizing?

We did put him on a martingale BTW, although vet said that was not the issue but that they do help for training regardless. Still finding the best way to adjust it though, as all of the youtube videos say different things.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.