Ugh, Lucy Ate Part of a Paintbrush Handle!

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Last night my wife and I were sitting around watching a movie and I noticed Lucy chomping away on something. She has plenty of toys and such, but I looked more closely and noticed she had a paintbrush (we were doing some painting in the house and had some supplies on the floor). We immediately snatched it from her, but she had crushed and splintered about a 1/2 inch of the wood handle. We awoke this morning to signs that she had thrown up several times during the night but she's been acting just fine so far. We gave her breakfast which hasn't reappeared and again, she's hanging around being her usual bulldog self.

I would imagine that she ingested some wood. How much, or the size of the pieces is unknown. I cannot imagine this is in any way a good thing, but has anyone experienced their dog having consumed wood? Lucy ordinarily leaves things alone that aren't hers, so this must have been an extremely attractive item to her. We're hoping this will just...pass.

Thanks,

Tim

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
These bullies are so silly, you really never can consider them "trustworthy" when is comes to eating things! Did you examine her vomit-any pieces of wood-looking stuff?
I would also check out her poop when she goes. If she will eat it, feed her some saurkraut, or applesauce, or pumpkin,for the next few days,to help her pass any pieces. I would guess she chewed it pretty well, but you need to keep a watch on her. Any unusual symptoms, call and speak to your vet. Hopefully she didn't ingest sharp pieces. Hoping for the best for Lucy:pray:(and her parents). I guess she didn't like the color of paint you chose! [MENTION=13757]rayneman[/MENTION]

OP
rayneman

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
These bullies are so silly, you really never can consider them "trustworthy" when is comes to eating things! Did you examine her vomit-any pieces of wood-looking stuff?
I would also check out her poop when she goes. If she will eat it, feed her some saurkraut, or applesauce, or pumpkin,for the next few days,to help her pass any pieces. I would guess she chewed it pretty well, but you need to keep a watch on her. Any unusual symptoms, call and speak to your vet. Hopefully she didn't ingest sharp pieces. Hoping for the best for Lucy:pray:(and her parents). I guess she didn't like the color of paint you chose! [MENTION=13757]rayneman[/MENTION]

Thanks, and you know - this may be due to the color, my wife chose an almost purple color for below the chair rail in the dining room and I'm not sure about it, but she has a good eye for color and trends, so we shall she. Lucy probably doesn't like the color.

Anyway, no wood in the vomit, and I agree, she probably chewed anything into "paste" before she would have actually ingested it.

Will try the applesauce and kraut.

Thanks again for the reply and advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lynn has you covered... it should all come out in the poo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
rayneman

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lynn has you covered... it should all come out in the poo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey thanks!

We just went for a walk, we had poop but no wood-poop. She was making some "hacking" noises toward the beginning of the walk but its hard to tell if that was due to any irritation or part of the general myriad of grunt, burp and gurgle noises she makes when she's happy.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wood chips and splinters are incredibly dangerous if ingested by dog. They are sharp and can stick into intestine or bowel wall, then inflammation occurs and obstruction can happen, or there is another scary option - perforation of organs. It is also extremely difficult to diagnose if there is wood inside dogs stomach, because it is not visible on X-ray unless you use barium contrast.
Watch her like a hawk, if there is any signs of sickness, take her immediately to doctor. Watch her for coughing because she could injure her esophagus while swallowing splinters, watch her vomiting and poops.
I would give her some chia seeds, pre soak them in water and when it turns into jelly, add some yogurt and give her. If she won’t eat like this, just add chia jelly to her normal food. Jelly can help chips to pass if there is any in her system.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I hope she will be ok. If hacking sounds will repeat or you notice signs of laboured swallowing or breathing, decreased appetite, no pooping, tummy swelling etc go to doctor, and ask for gastroesophagoscopy.

OP
rayneman

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
One short cough this morning (a sound she doesn't ordinarily make) but that's it. Everything else is normal...poop, pee, appetite, escape/refusal to take pills and eye drops, etc...

We'll get some of those seeds this evening.

Thanks all!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.