Really bad rash/ scar/ wound!

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hello everyone!

This week I noticed that my bully has this really bad wound on his neck. Iā€™ve given him Benadryl in case itā€™s a bad itch and I havenā€™t really seen him scratching often, unless he only does it when Iā€™m not home...

Does anyone know what I can use to help this heal? It looks pretty bad, has some puss on it, no blood...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

391472894d9dfa8944ffe7d13d25cf17.jpg
b1270a900c36237a4114a2d1edc5acb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone!

This week I noticed that my bully has this really bad wound on his neck. Iā€™ve given him Benadryl in case itā€™s a bad itch and I havenā€™t really seen him scratching often, unless he only does it when Iā€™m not home...

Does anyone know what I can use to help this heal? It looks pretty bad, has some puss on it, no blood...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

391472894d9dfa8944ffe7d13d25cf17.jpg
b1270a900c36237a4114a2d1edc5acb0.jpg

It is a hotspot... shave area and keep it dry and clean. They are usually a result of a weaken immune system and you should give a good probiotic daily... sauerkraut, raw goats milk or milk Kroger are a few options

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Shave first...then whatever you can give that will sooth the area and stop little Nacho from scratching it. We've had dogs get them around the neck so bad that we had to Vet Wrap baby socks on their back feet to stop the scratching.
Keeping nails really short can also help.
When was the last time he had a bath?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My experience (well, Castor's experience) is that hotspots don't itch, but we might have been lucky. Daily shampooing with chlorehexidine is the treatment used here.
Never heard of bag balm - I love this forum as I learn something new every day!

Hope the little Nacho gets well soon!

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Shave first...then whatever you can give that will sooth the area and stop little Nacho from scratching it. We've had dogs get them around the neck so bad that we had to Vet Wrap baby socks on their back feet to stop the scratching.
Keeping nails really short can also help.
When was the last time he had a bath?

He had a bath two weeks ago.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He had a bath two weeks ago.
I ask because we've seen it happen and it's happened to us before...soap not thoroughly rinsed off and left on the subject for a few days can cause a minor chemical burn(irritation) that begins to itch and then blossoms into a hotspot. Not saying that this is what has happened with Nacho, just saying it's a possibility. Keep us posted on the little guy's progress please.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My experience (well, Castor's experience) is that hotspots don't itch, but we might have been lucky. Daily shampooing with chlorehexidine is the treatment used here.
Never heard of bag balm - I love this forum as I learn something new every day!

Hope the little Nacho gets well soon!

Been around for decades. Great stuff. Use to be hard to get but now youā€™ll find it at your local pharmacy.. reminds me of NuStock but usedin different ways. Great for skin issues even eczema.

https://intothegloss.com/2015/03/bag-balm-uses/

OP
nachothebulldog

nachothebulldog

Jul 26, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
It is a hotspot... shave area and keep it dry and clean. They are usually a result of a weaken immune system and you should give a good probiotic daily... sauerkraut, raw goats milk or milk Kroger are a few options

Itā€™s not improving!:/ looks worse actually now! Any other advice? :(
a298d5bc876c5b6c76a78437fa682809.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It may be infected... you have to shave the area, fur traps the dirt causing an infection. Youā€™ll need a vet visit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used NuStock, and sometimes Vetericyn wound. You have to make sure to clean old med before applying more. At this point, you may need a vet visit. "next" time, catch it early.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Bag Balm was originally used for cow's udders (milking) Farmers found that their own hands improved so much after using, that it became popular for human use,too. Around here it is available in most pharmacies, and feed stores. :D

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

I would take him to the vet if this is the first time you deal with this and it has got so much worse.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shave first, then spray with Veterycin or Betagen if you have it. If not wipe/dab with peroxide or witch hazel and wrap with gauze pads and a belly band. Sometimes you may need to add Duct Tape to the belly band to help hold it in place.
Shave first! Once shaved it will scab over and actually look worse. Worry not, this is the beginning of the healing process. It will take 4-6 weeks to the skin to heal and 2-3 months for the fur to return.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.