Ollie Goes to School and Then Joins the Real World

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ollie had his second night of school on Wednesday He did much better. He was less distractible. There was a little glitch in that I forgot to buy Brie. I cut up small pieces of an English Cheddar. Evidently even though he and my husband are English, Ollie likes the imported French Brie and not the imported cheddar of his ancestors. The trainer gave me some treats she had. He was somewhat underwhelmed by them, but did work for them. We were working on performing for free (empty hand) and Ollie was pretty cool with that. We did SIT and DOWN, then DOWN with no sit. WALK WITH ME (we donā€™t use HEEL because evidently that means something to show ring dogs and we have that show Shelti in class). We learned TOUCH (Iā€™m confused why we do this. Maybe to focus dog and move him from front facing to the side of us?) This is tricky for me because of my hands, but eventually we get the job done. We did the OPEN DOOR, SIT and WAIT thing and Ollie was perfect. Outside we did the WALK WITH ME FAST thing, TOUCH and TURN, repeat over and over fast. Ollie was great. We finished and I was exhausted. Remember that Ollie does all of this on a leash attached to my waist. The trainer, as we left, told me, ā€œYou and Ollie are the bravest people I know. A lot of people wouldnā€™t have the guts.ā€ Sheā€™s really nice.

Our home work was to take Ollie everywhere I go. The next morning We started off by going to my neurologistā€™s office to get a letter stating that I have a medical condition that requires the assistance of a service animal and that he will perform specific tasks for me. This letter IS NOT required by law, but I want Ollie to carry it in his saddle bag. I know that after we go through all of this, if some ignorant employee or person challenges us, I will either start crying or start throwing the F Bomb. Those are the only tools in my arsenal. Everyone at the doctorā€™s office respected the SERVICE DOG and DO NOT PET patches Ollie wears. My doctor was very happy to meet Ollie.

Our next stop was to Publix grocery store. Ollie appeared a bit intimidated by the size of the store. He has always stuck right by my side which is helpful with the training John pushed the cart and we walked beside him. I imagine all those smells in the store were overwhelming to Ollie. We were good until we neared the Sushi counter. There were two Asian women there loading the cases with sushi. One woman got all excited upon seeing Ollie, smiling and laughing. She reached out to pet him and I pointed to his DO NOT Pet sign. She said something I couldnā€™t understand and the other lady tried to give him a piece of raw salmon. I pulled him away while they were both smiling and nodding. The rest of Publix was uneventful.

That night we had a meeting. I meet every week with a group of women. We all sat in a circle, no tables. No one knew about Ollieā€™s training. I did a brief explanation of what weā€™re doing. Everyone was very cool about it. Ollie immediately got in a down position and stayed. I was so impressed. After about 30 minutes he let out some huge snores. So I guess his easy down was mostly about a nap, but Iā€™ll take what I can get. He stayed there for over an hour. Then, he got up, stretched, did a 360 turn around and sat there looking at everyone for the the last thirty minutes.

All in all, we had a great week. Our next private service work session is on Tuesday.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so pleased how things are going for you and Ollie! WELL DONE, both of you!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
What a great update! It sounds like you both are working very hard. :2thumbs:
Thank you for sharing and keep the wonderful stories coming.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I am so impressed! Great work, both of you! Looking forward to further updates.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What a great report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
you are doing this so right :) Im very proud of you two, and....... when my use of a service dog was there, i too was compelled to have her certified with dr note, and the county of where i lived certifying her as my service dog... with our pictures and all. Reason i say this is because i had no arsenal either. and, if harassed, i could show this info, and not have to speak. (which part of my 'seizure' issue was the inability to make sense of words while under attack. So proud of you... very much :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This is spectacular. I was so disappointed when ā€œchapter 2 ā€was lost, but chapter 3 more than makes up for it. Looking forward to more...please please please!

ā€œTouch itā€ is a command used for positioning. We drop an open hand a say ā€œtouch itā€ and the nose goes right to the fingers. One time gets the dog to come and a second time to get it in proper position, if necessary. Our guys often respond to touch it better that they do ā€œcomeā€. You 2 are making nice progress. This speaks volumes to the ability of a bulldog, most ANY dog, really.

To ā€œbraveā€ you can add committed , smart, fun, daring, determined, etc...Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more. Oh yeah, ā€œheroic,ā€

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow what fantastic progress! Great job on both! Guess da Sushi lady couldnā€™t read English. Iā€™m surprised Ollie didnā€™t drag you to the French Brie section as a reminder. And yes, Iā€™m with Ollie, I would take any French cheese over English cheese anytime. Lolll

Keep posting with your aventures cause itā€™s sure intriguing and loving ever bit of it! So proud of you guys!!! :blowkiss:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Utterly fantastic... I am loving the progress updates and enjoying your journey!

Congratulations.. continued good luckā€” hugs and bully love to you both

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So proud of you and Ollie! That is great news!

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Awww yay! I knew Ollie would do amazing! Heā€™s going to make a fantastic service dog :yes:

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Thatā€™s is great to hear!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.