More dog food report

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Lately I was preparing for traveling, and as Tank will fly first from Atlanta to Frankfurt 12 hours and stay for a night in a dog hotel, and fly another 12 hours, I need to put some food in his luggage, so people who will take care of him in Frankfurt can feed him. And he doesnā€™t eat kibble, just sniffs and leaves it, spoiled little brat.
So, I bought a can of dog food in Petco, the most expensive one. Grain-free, balanced, bla-bla... gave him half a can in the morning, half in the evening. 24 hours later he had explosive dark green diarrhoea. He is definitely a very special snowflake, but I presume it still says something about the dog food too...
So now I sit with a problem. I donā€™t want him to poop himself in a cage while flying to Cape Town. So, I think I better remember my grandmotherā€™s lessons and sterilise and vacuum can his normal homemade food myself!
And I will never believe that good old homemade oats with meat and veggies isnā€™t ā€œbalancedā€ enough to feed our puppies! Switch to human grade turkey! Turkey has loads of Taurine and isnā€™t expensive at all! 1,29 usd per pound! Whatever lacking you can add with vitamin pill!
I promise, next time I cook for Tank, I make a ste by step instruction with pictures for those who dare to switch to home cooking!
Bulldogs are NOT completely dogs, they are half humans! Human grade food for every bulldog!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO tired of this... makes it completely frustrating for those of us trying to do the best for our fur babies!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I call BS. Grain free has served ALL of our Bulldogs and rescues(1000+) for many many years and not a single Bulldog has developed or died from what was diagnosed as DCM.
Funny how this whole DCM and Grain-free foods scare came up shortly after many of the Higher Quality Brands (Fromm, Acana, Orijen) jump ship from Chewy, immediately after PetsMart acquired them for $3.35 BILLION. On its face, it seems like a hit job perpetuated to impose vengeance for leaving.
But, FWIW, I think I'll spend a couple of $ and have my dogs taurine levels checked at their next Vet visit. We'll see what happens.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just add sardines once a week... covers the missing taurine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
FWIW, Zignature has added Taurine to their dog food.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It's like a new article every other day. I know I have read before that certain breeds are more likely to get the DCM but for whatever reason, they want to link it to grain free foods.

We all do the best we can. Jax gets 100% raw and Louie gets Zignature in the am and raw in the pm. Eventually I will switch him to raw in the am but he eats so much and raw is expensive. They also get sardines on the weekends.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.