electric indoor fences

Dakster

Jan 15, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dak
Does anyone use these? Our boy sometimes gets riled up when people are over. He starts jumping and mouthing and just won't listen. Other times he's a mush. We tried bitter apple and while it works it isn't the solution. I had lessons from a dog trainer but after 3 weeks of heel, no, sit he really isn't better. The choker collar the trainer gave me makes it easier to walk him. I looked into the electric fences and am thinking about it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would leave him on a leash or crate him till people are in and he is calm.

We had this issue with one of ours and the leash worked well.. we would tether her to the stair way and people could greet her put she was not able to jump or bowl them over... few weeks of it and she was trained not to jump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Does anyone use these? Our boy sometimes gets riled up when people are over. He starts jumping and mouthing and just won't listen. Other times he's a mush. We tried bitter apple and while it works it isn't the solution. I had lessons from a dog trainer but after 3 weeks of heel, no, sit he really isn't better. The choker collar the trainer gave me makes it easier to walk him. I looked into the electric fences and am thinking about it.

Ohhh you donā€™t want that in a house. A house is the ā€œsafety blanket/securedā€ place for the family dog. No easy fix, keep on him with training. These are Bulldogs which are a bit more pig heads. Duke is the same when visitors comes by. I use to put both in the kennel till they settle down which is like a good 10 minutes. Now with Nyala, I just have to say ā€œNyala backā€ n she greets the visitor with a toy. But Duke... thatā€™s my lonnie bin...Hey itā€™s Duke... I leave him in the kennel, wait till hes calm down and just lays there. Open the door and heā€™s greets the visitor n walks away. I do tell the visitors not to play with neither or it will get them going. After a good 30 minutes they pet both n no issues. Duke is much better as if I open the front door to get the mail, he starts getting ā€œthe ants in the pantsā€ and I tell him ā€œNO, stayā€ and he does. He stretches his neck like a giraffe to see if someone is coming in but realizes no one is there and doesnā€™t bother. Itā€™s a start in the right direction. You can do that too. Open the door and take it from there. Takes time n patients.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I don't think I could have an electric collar on me especially if I leave the seat up on the toilet. "Honey, you did it again. Holy hell dear that hurts."

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
To me, this sounds totally out of proportion. I live in a country where electricity is illegal in dog training, and I see no reason to shock a dog into obedience. If your dog is threatening and very aggressive, you will need to identify what it is that gets him started and then train him not to be afraid of/react to that. A trainer may very well be needed if the dog is posing a threat to you and your visitors, but you say you have been given a choker collar by your trainer. I'm not sure what kind of choker collar that might be, but I wonder if not a sturdy harness would be a better way to control a bulldog than to put pressure on his neck? Bulldogs are not very sensitive to pain, but their necks are sensitive.

Sorry for sounding negative here but to me the solution for bad behaviour would not be electricity or strangulation but training based on positive reinforcement.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
How old is Dakster? I used training parties, with the friends that always come over. Works
like a charm, takes time, repetition, and patience. Pain free training, and it sticks! Joey is now desensitized to people coming over, gets the No Paws command as people come in and is ALWAYS a part of every social gathering. Sheā€™s almost 4 years old now and we started the training parties when she was around 1 year old and had run of the house.

I sure hope this helps

LindaOlson

Jan 13, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BŠ³Ńks
I'm also for electric collars. The shock emitted by wireless fence collars isn't painful and is supposed to startle, not hurt. Indeed, a wireless electric dog fence is a good solution for preventing your doggy from coming to harm. Indeed, when our husky is playing in the yard, he may accidentally run out onto the roadway and get hit by a car. So we ordered a collar of this kind, and he doesn't leave the territory anymore. Even if his toy ends up outside the fence, he does not jump out onto the road after it. The short answer is "yes", invisible fences are safe to use for most healthy pets.

Uiles

Jan 27, 2021
Country
UA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobe
An electric fence delivers an electric shock, whether it's designed for use indoor or out. A trainer who recommends this would not be someone I'd consider an amazing trainer.

Use the baby gates. The inconvenience is worth it if the alternative is shocking your dog.

Also some great advices: https://labrescuenc.org/blog/

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.