Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Let me tell you why I say this:

Since I cannot yet take Tate out for walks outdoors (he hasn't had full set of shots), I love having him run around our living room every night--he chases his toys and balls, chases me, and this goes on from about 7 til 8pm or so.

After this, he will slow down, sit still and his eyes will start to close so i know he's gonna fall asleep any minute; that's when i bring him into my bed, hoping he will then sleep thru the night til his potty break at around 2am. Well, as soon as i place him in bed, the little guy becomes the energizer bunny again, this time leaping and running on the bed, diving into the comforters, acting quite crazy! He'll start his nipping/biting game (usually on me), and on whatever else he can sink his baby teeth into. When i try to correct him or say "NO!", he'll look at me and growl, sometimes barks, and is just so stubborn and defiant.

I'm just trying to figure out what happened here; i mean, he was so tired just minutes before, but then this change happens. Last night I had to pick him up and carry him around the bedroom a little bit just to calm him down. But the second i put him back on the bed, he's at it again. This behavior usually goes on for an hour, then he konks out and sleeps soundly (and i take a deep breath and sigh with relief)!

Is this normal puppy behavior? is he just wanting to play more? or, do i need to call in some professional help (for him AND me)?!

thanks for listening!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, that's what being a puppy is all about. They can sleep one minute then play hard the next. Stig's still like that, and he's 1, so you have a long way to go! :p But there are others here who are really mellow and need to be dragged out of bed.

mamamia

Apr 5, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki (EB) and Big Mac (OEB)
My pup is the same.... bouncing, biting, barking etc.
Maybe it is a good idea to crate your pup? Our crate is in the hall at a more quiet place of the house. Our Snooki knows it as her save place and when she gets tired she rolls up in her crate. No person dog or cat will disturb her there and she sleeps from 10 PM till 7 am and during the day she takes a few naps there.
I do find her in the living room napping, however it seems like she feels more safe in the crate. Strangely enough she recognizes the ritual around bed time, we turn off the lights the dogs go out once more and when she comes back in she goes in her crate for the night.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sounds like a precious ..very happy puppy! Let's hope for your sake..he doesn't do this when he weighs 60 lbs!! Lol..today Jake (4 months old)..had a vets appt and fell asleep on the examining table!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
okay guys, thanks for the reassurance. i guess i've forgotten that puppies just ARE this way! i guess i should "enjoy" it while i can, before he grows up! :ohmy:

[MENTION=2161]mamamia[/MENTION]: i do have a crate for Tate but, well, since i brought him home 2 wks ago, he's been sleeping in bed w/meZzzz. He does go in and out of his crate during the day tho and i feed him his meals in there but he hasn't fully embraced the crate just yet.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah did the exact same thing! Still does, sometimes. haha.

RockosDad

Mar 8, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocko
Rocko used to go crazy everytime he hit the bed because it was new to him he used to sleep in the crate but after a few weeks I started letting him sleep with us in bed and he stopped, now he just cuddles with me or my girlfriend and falls right asleep in less than a minute

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Yep! Belly is 5 months old and the same ...still. Not quite so bad as she used to be. It's a bully thing :bully:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online