A puppy to play with?

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have posted regarding the situation with our bully. We have about a year left with him max due to the cancer he had/has. I was wondering if we should get him a puppy to play with during his time left? We just want him to live as happily as he can :) We have an 18 year old Chihuahua, but she is definitely not one to play.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Itā€™s an unpredictable situation, because puppy can become a nice playmate for him, and amazing heartwarmer for you when the time comes. And on the other hand, if they wonā€™t get along well with each other it can decrease his quality of life.

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am not worried about him not getting along with the puppy at all. He absolutely loves puppies! Our family has quite a few new puppies over the last year, and he absolutely loves them. He gets (huffy) so to speak when they leave lol

I just don't want to not give him ALL of the attention he deserves :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am not worried about him not getting along with the puppy at all. He absolutely loves puppies! Our family has quite a few new puppies over the last year, and he absolutely loves them. He gets (huffy) so to speak when they leave lol

I just don't want to not give him ALL of the attention he deserves :(

I personally wouldnā€™t get another puppy. I would rather concentrate only on my dog since I know he doesnā€™t have that much to live. A puppy is very demanding and you will not have choice to tend to the little puppy. Itā€™s normal itā€™s a baby. Also will be hard on the puppy when he/sheā€™s a year old and loses his buddy. Might even go through a little depression of loneliness. Well Iā€™m sure you understand what Iā€™m trying to say. But at the end of the day, up to you.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would expect that Winston would prefer spending time with YOU more than anything else in his world. Bringing a puppy into the fold will take a large sum of that quality time away from him. A puppy will constantly be harassing and chewing on him...possibly making his life miserable.
Spend every minute you can with your boy...one on one.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I totally agree! I am an extreme puppy lover,hardly ever discourage against a pup! I would not get a pup right now. Give Win all your time and attention-he deserves it! You can know you did everything you could for him,and gave him all the attention he deserves. Time for a puppy in the future. Enjoy all the time with him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tough call, but I think if possible I would borrow puppies or other dogs if he needs some company... but giving him as much attention and spoiling you can is even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.