Not eating

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
My Finley hasn't been eating well. Last week, he would eat his morning food topper, graze a little but ate dinner.
This week he isn't eating much of anything. No changes in personality or activity. No poo changes. I haven't weighed him, but he appears to have lost some weight. Should I be worried?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Finley hasn't been eating well. Last week, he would eat his morning food topper, graze a little but ate dinner.
This week he isn't eating much of anything. No changes in personality or activity. No poo changes. I haven't weighed him, but he appears to have lost some weight. Should I be worried?

How old is he n what are you feeding him? Is there any missing bits on his toys/ropes etc.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Watch his poops...are they normal or soft serve?

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Finley is 11 months (Next week is his 1st birthday!).
No poo issues, always on top of that. LOL!
I took him to the vet today. The physical exam was normal. Finley refused everything offered to him by the vet. Labs were drawn; expecting results tomorrow morning. I made him boiled chicken and rice as per vet and hand fed him. He didn't eat much.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I took him to the vet today. The physical exam was normal. Finley refused everything offered to him by the vet. Labs were drawn; expecting results tomorrow morning. I made him boiled chicken and rice as per vet and hand fed him. He didn't eat much.

As long as heā€™s eating a bit itā€™s still good. Definitely keep us posted with the results from the vet.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
His appetite should come around, just make sure he is still drinking water or talking ice chips.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is he today?

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thanks so much for your encouragement and follow up.
Update: Lab work came back negative but he began having watery stools midday. They were too watery to test.
After lots of sleep yesterday, he appears better today. No diarrhea, grazing food, & played fetch. I'm keeping a close eye on him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: Lab work came back negative but he began having watery stools midday. They were too watery to test.
After lots of sleep yesterday, he appears better today. No diarrhea, grazing food, & played fetch. I'm keeping a close eye on him.

So far so good!! Keep us posted :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Some progress... great start, please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
He has lots and lots and lots of flatulence today. He has to be bloated but I canā€™t tell, pooped twice.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He has lots and lots and lots of flatulence today. He has to be bloated but I canā€™t tell, pooped twice.

How is poo looking? Normal, runny?

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
The poo is back to normal. There was only one day of diarrhea. He still isnā€™t eating much but is playful. Now that the diarrhea is over, I am starting to think heā€™s a very picky eater. Hand feeding a lot but heā€™s gobbling up treats. Idk.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The poo is back to normal. There was only one day of diarrhea. He still isnā€™t eating much but is playful. Now that the diarrhea is over, I am starting to think heā€™s a very picky eater. Hand feeding a lot but heā€™s gobbling up treats. Idk.

Great... heā€™ll get there

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
He's coming around, it sounds like.
If you stop hand feeding and giving him treats he will eventually get hungry and re-establish a normal routine. It may take days but it will happen. You have to be consistent with your feeding...put it down and allow 15 minutes to eat and take it away. Do not offer again until next meal time. He will get it after a few missed meals.
Finley is a cute little one

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.