Thread: Update on Beasley

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beasley
    Likes (Received)

Default Update on Beasley

-a96c4101-2b64-4c37-89fc-e4a493ee6ba9-jpeg

So many of you were so helpful with suggestions for Beasley, so hereís an update.

After trying the new food bowl to help him slow down, and also feeding him smaller meals more frequently, it seemed to improve for a few days. Until this morning. I woke up to him vomiting and he was very lethargic. Couldnít get him to drink water. So we went to the doc.

Beasley has pneumonia. He was given iv antibiotics today and sent home with 4 prescriptions. He has lost 3 pounds.

Doc wants him on a new food, not a fan of Fromms. Heís suggested Hills science sensitive stomach and skin formula.

Soooo....we are going to try the new food, and give him all of his meds and lots of love. Prayers for my sweet boy, heís my baby and Iíve been so worried about him.

Nicole & Beasley

2. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Update on Beasley

Quote Originally Posted by BeasleysMom View Post
    -a96c4101-2b64-4c37-89fc-e4a493ee6ba9-jpeg
    So many of you were so helpful with suggestions for Beasley, so hereís an update.

After trying the new food bowl to help him slow down, and also feeding him smaller meals more frequently, it seemed to improve for a few days. Until this morning. I woke up to him vomiting and he was very lethargic. Couldnít get him to drink water. So we went to the doc.

Beasley has pneumonia. He was given iv antibiotics today and sent home with 4 prescriptions. He has lost 3 pounds.

Doc wants him on a new food, not a fan of Fromms. Heís suggested Hills science sensitive stomach and skin formula.

Soooo....we are going to try the new food, and give him all of his meds and lots of love. Prayers for my sweet boy, heís my baby and Iíve been so worried about him.

Nicole & Beasley
    What does pneumonia have to do with food n sensitive stomach? 2 different things.. I respect other people Ďs choice of food but what your vet is suggesting would be a massive BIG NO NO... I posted this a few days ago...

Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

Because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified, I'm sending you this special recall alert. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of this message.
    Hill's Pet Nutrition is recalling multiple lots of BOTH its Prescription Diet and Science Diet dog foods due to elevated levels of vitamin D.

Very high levels of vitamin D can lead to serious health issues in dogs, including kidney dysfunction.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link:
    Hill's Prescription Diet and Science Diet Dog Food Recall

Please share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor
    The Dog Food Advisor

BTW make sure he gets a good probiotic like fermented sauerkraut in the fridge area or a plain Greek yogurt with each meal to keep the flora going in his gut cause antibiotics kills also the good cells n all.

4. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beasley
    Likes (Received)

Well now I’m even more confused!!

The doc changed his food because he is underweight, and said he wanted him on a food for 40-50 pounds instead of the puppy formula. He said Fromms was known to cause urinary tract infections...

I keep thinking I’m feeding him good quality food and now I’m at a loss.

6. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Hope
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
    Likes (Received)

Awe... pier little adoraBULL Beasley. I hope he gets to feeling better real soon!

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

The doc changed his food because he is underweight, and said he wanted him on a food for 40-50 pounds instead of the puppy formula. He said Fromms was known to cause urinary tract infections...

It’s your vet that’s confusing you. All vets gets a % on every bag they sell! Of course feeding them bags full of grains will fatten him up...that’s how we fatten up cows..

Let’s start with....
    how old is your dog n how much doe he weigh? And did you buy that bag of food from the vet?

First the little guy needs to get rid of his pneumonia. His gut flora is probably out of whack. Why he needs probiotics like mentioned above.

9. Likes sisters3, 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Oh I sure hope that Beasley recovers quickly! Sorry that you're both going through this. Try not to stress the food issue too much right now, you've got a ton on your mind and it will seem overwhelming to you, trust me I have been there.

The food that I feed Joey and have all of her life (4 years old soon) is not on the top of EVERYONE'S list but it has worked great for Joey, ZERO issues related to food. My vet had never even heard of the kibble and she said "obviously it's the right food for Joey"

So, step by step, most importantly is that Beasley recover without issue, don't stress out over the food thing, just read and listen to other experiences, there's a ton to choose from and knowing how much of a LOVING BULLY MOM your are, you will land on the right decision. What ever change you make......I am sure you know....gradually over time to change the food, not all at once.

Big Bully Hugs to you and Beasley and PLEASE let us know that he's getting better

Sue and Joey
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

All vets seem to push Hill's... they DO get a payback.
    I would think the pneumonia would be TOP priority at this point... you could put him on a bland diet until he feels better, ground sirloin and rice. I've been giving that to Willow for the last couple of days, her stomach was not handling some new food I was trying to introduce.
    We recommend checking out www.dogfoodadvisors.com to look at the dog food choices, and go from there. I have used Fromm's, Earthborn Holistic, Acana, Merrick... all great food brands. It honestly depends on the dog, and I agree w/your vet that since he is underweight you should switch him to a dog formula instead of the puppy food.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bd), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with concentrating on the pneumonia first with a bland diet of beef and rice. Punk has been on Royal Canin since birth and she has done great with it - eventhough it is listed as a NO on the food tree. So, worry about food later - it all depends on your baby which food works out best. for Beasley's recovery.

13. Likes sisters3, ddnene, BeasleysMom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Helene is spot on. Forget about the food for now and get that Pneumonia under control. Any Vet that's selling Hills get's a kickback on the back end or big discounts up front. It's NOT quality food.
    Pneumonia takes time to develop but may present in a matter of hours once set in. I'm guessing that he's developed pneumonia over the past few days because of the episodes of gagging and choking you told us about. Watch him carefully. If he does not start drinking very soon he may need a bag of fluid to help get him over the hump. I would have insisted on it while at the Vet and I'm a little surprised that they did not suggest it.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about Beasley hope you can get him sorted soon and the meds kick in! He's a cutie!!
    Check out our Fur Baby shop Lots of Bulldog gifts and hopefully lots more to come!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MyFurBabyShop

16. Likes BeasleysMom liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Castor sends a big bully hug to cute Beasley; we wish him a speedy recovery!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

18. Likes BeasleysMom liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Sending puppy hugs for Beasley and prayers for a speedy recovery. I agree with the others that the concern should lie with treating that pneumonia. I find it totally laughable when I go to the vets office and the only food I see there is Hills or Royal Canin. They are definitely getting a kick back by only pushing those two foods.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

20. Likes helsonwheels, BeasleysMom, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads