Update on Beasley

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
A96C4101-2B64-4C37-89FC-E4A493EE6BA9.jpeg

So many of you were so helpful with suggestions for Beasley, so hereā€™s an update.

After trying the new food bowl to help him slow down, and also feeding him smaller meals more frequently, it seemed to improve for a few days. Until this morning. I woke up to him vomiting and he was very lethargic. Couldnā€™t get him to drink water. So we went to the doc.

Beasley has pneumonia. He was given iv antibiotics today and sent home with 4 prescriptions. He has lost 3 pounds.

Doc wants him on a new food, not a fan of Fromms. Heā€™s suggested Hills science sensitive stomach and skin formula.

Soooo....we are going to try the new food, and give him all of his meds and lots of love. Prayers for my sweet boy, heā€™s my baby and Iā€™ve been so worried about him.

Nicole & Beasley

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 115465
So many of you were so helpful with suggestions for Beasley, so hereā€™s an update.

After trying the new food bowl to help him slow down, and also feeding him smaller meals more frequently, it seemed to improve for a few days. Until this morning. I woke up to him vomiting and he was very lethargic. Couldnā€™t get him to drink water. So we went to the doc.

Beasley has pneumonia. He was given iv antibiotics today and sent home with 4 prescriptions. He has lost 3 pounds.

Doc wants him on a new food, not a fan of Fromms. Heā€™s suggested Hills science sensitive stomach and skin formula.

Soooo....we are going to try the new food, and give him all of his meds and lots of love. Prayers for my sweet boy, heā€™s my baby and Iā€™ve been so worried about him.

Nicole & Beasley

What does pneumonia have to do with food n sensitive stomach? 2 different things.. I respect other people ā€˜s choice of food but what your vet is suggesting would be a massive BIG NO NO... I posted this a few days ago...

Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

Because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified, I'm sending you this special recall alert. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of this message.
Hill's Pet Nutrition is recalling multiple lots of BOTH its Prescription Diet and Science Diet dog foods due to elevated levels of vitamin D.

Very high levels of vitamin D can lead to serious health issues in dogs, including kidney dysfunction.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link:
Hill's Prescription Diet and Science Diet Dog Food Recall

Please share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor

BTW make sure he gets a good probiotic like fermented sauerkraut in the fridge area or a plain Greek yogurt with each meal to keep the flora going in his gut cause antibiotics kills also the good cells n all. :)

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Well now Iā€™m even more confused!!

The doc changed his food because he is underweight, and said he wanted him on a food for 40-50 pounds instead of the puppy formula. He said Fromms was known to cause urinary tract infections...

I keep thinking Iā€™m feeding him good quality food and now Iā€™m at a loss.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Awe... pier little adoraBULL Beasley. I hope he gets to feeling better real soon!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

The doc changed his food because he is underweight, and said he wanted him on a food for 40-50 pounds instead of the puppy formula. He said Fromms was known to cause urinary tract infections...

Itā€™s your vet thatā€™s confusing you. All vets gets a % on every bag they sell! Of course feeding them bags full of grains will fatten him up...thatā€™s how we fatten up cows..

Letā€™s start with....
how old is your dog n how much doe he weigh? And did you buy that bag of food from the vet?

First the little guy needs to get rid of his pneumonia. His gut flora is probably out of whack. Why he needs probiotics like mentioned above.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Oh I sure hope that Beasley recovers quickly! Sorry that you're both going through this. Try not to stress the food issue too much right now, you've got a ton on your mind and it will seem overwhelming to you, trust me I have been there.

The food that I feed Joey and have all of her life (4 years old soon) is not on the top of EVERYONE'S list but it has worked great for Joey, ZERO issues related to food. My vet had never even heard of the kibble and she said "obviously it's the right food for Joey"

So, step by step, most importantly is that Beasley recover without issue, don't stress out over the food thing, just read and listen to other experiences, there's a ton to choose from and knowing how much of a LOVING BULLY MOM your are, you will land on the right decision. What ever change you make......I am sure you know....gradually over time to change the food, not all at once.

Big Bully Hugs to you and Beasley and PLEASE let us know that he's getting better

Sue and Joey

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
All vets seem to push Hill's... they DO get a payback.
I would think the pneumonia would be TOP priority at this point... you could put him on a bland diet until he feels better, ground sirloin and rice. I've been giving that to Willow for the last couple of days, her stomach was not handling some new food I was trying to introduce.
We recommend checking out www.dogfoodadvisors.com to look at the dog food choices, and go from there. I have used Fromm's, Earthborn Holistic, Acana, Merrick... all great food brands. It honestly depends on the dog, and I agree w/your vet that since he is underweight you should switch him to a dog formula instead of the puppy food.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I agree with concentrating on the pneumonia first with a bland diet of beef and rice. Punk has been on Royal Canin since birth and she has done great with it - eventhough it is listed as a NO on the food tree. So, worry about food later - it all depends on your baby which food works out best. :pray: for Beasley's recovery.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Helene is spot on. Forget about the food for now and get that Pneumonia under control. Any Vet that's selling Hills get's a kickback on the back end or big discounts up front. It's NOT quality food.
Pneumonia takes time to develop but may present in a matter of hours once set in. I'm guessing that he's developed pneumonia over the past few days because of the episodes of gagging and choking you told us about. Watch him carefully. If he does not start drinking very soon he may need a bag of fluid to help get him over the hump. I would have insisted on it while at the Vet and I'm a little surprised that they did not suggest it.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Sorry to hear about Beasley hope you can get him sorted soon and the meds kick in! He's a cutie!! :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor sends a big bully hug to cute Beasley; we wish him a speedy recovery!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Sending puppy hugs for Beasley and prayers for a speedy recovery. I agree with the others that the concern should lie with treating that pneumonia. I find it totally laughable when I go to the vets office and the only food I see there is Hills or Royal Canin. They are definitely getting a kick back by only pushing those two foods.

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Beasley will be 1 on the 26th of this month. He weighs 37.7 lbs as of yesterday, he weighed 41 lbs on the 5th of January...

I did buy the canned Hills Science, sensitive stomach and skin.

I have given him yogurt with meals today.

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Thank you all! Beasley was acting more like himself today, I am giving him his meds and he's keeping food down, so I'm super relieved at that.

I want to get him through this pneumonia, that is my first priority. I have been researching different foods and I think I am going to give Earthborn a try. Question, do you mix canned with dry, just dry, just canned? What combinations do you guys use that works well?

Thanks again! So thankful to have a community to get great advice from!

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Helene is spot on. Forget about the food for now and get that Pneumonia under control. Any Vet that's selling Hills get's a kickback on the back end or big discounts up front. It's NOT quality food.
Pneumonia takes time to develop but may present in a matter of hours once set in. I'm guessing that he's developed pneumonia over the past few days because of the episodes of gagging and choking you told us about. Watch him carefully. If he does not start drinking very soon he may need a bag of fluid to help get him over the hump. I would have insisted on it while at the Vet and I'm a little surprised that they did not suggest it.

They did give him a bag of fluids yesterday at the vet, He is drinking now! :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.