Hitch has major anxiety...need advice

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Many of you know Hitch's story. He has been through so much and has come such a long way. Now he seems to have terrible anxiety when he is alone. Acually, he doesnt have to be alone, if he thinks he is alone...he will hurt himself. If i crate him he rubs his face or butt on the crate until he bleeds. If I put him in the bathroom with a baby gate up....he rubs against the walls until he bleeds. If I dont crate him, he will rub his knees and face on the carpet and leaves blood trails all over the house. This happens even if if the other bullies are with him. Have any of you dealt with seperation anxiety like this? How did you deal with it?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
That is tough. I'm sorry you are going through this.

It sounds to me like you might need to ask the vet about some kind of anti-anxiety medication for Hitch when you leave him alone. Some on the board have used melatonin to help relax their bullies while they are away but I know there are other options. My sister's lab did something similar when left alone and she had to manage it with medication while she worked on getting to the root of the behavior, which takes time.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Aw, poor Hitch. I'm sorry you're having to go through this!

I think anti anxiety medication might be your best bet. It takes a long time to work on separation anxiety that severe. I've read articles about how to deal with that kind of thing online but that was for less severe cases.

Talk to the vet, perhaps?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would like to echo, I am so sorry you are going thru this. That is a tough one. Because he is hurting himself when you are not around and don't have a way to stop it I would agree with talking to your vet about possibly getting some type of prescription. There are also other more natural calming aides I have seen sold that you may want to experiment with as well. Poor Hitch :(

L

Lucy-licious

poor Hitch It must be awful for you and him :hug:
I am glad the melatonin worked as now you know he will be safe when you leave him.
still speak to your vet though he/she may be able to give advise about working out ways to stop the separation anxiety.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.