oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
dogs to a pair of Pitbulls yesterday. The only details I know are that the Pits broke free from two children, 7 and 10 YO and attacked 2 Yorkies. Friend of friend was bitten trying to save the dogs. Pitbulls allowed to go home with owners. Officer failed to check for license or rabies Vac. Sad story unfolding. Chester, PA

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor babies and family. Please send them all our thoughts and hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh how tragic!!!!! I absolutely cannot imagine the fright, pain, and sorrow that they must be going through. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
We all need to pray for those poor people who lost their babies. Many (not all) of those dogs are lethal weapons, and certainly should not be walked by young children who are not strong enough to hold on. When any large dog is in "fight" mode,most adults have all they can do to hold, and then some. I am a fan of Judge Judy,and there are many cases of this breed attacking and/or killing smaller dogs. Many owners think that because their dogs love them, they love everyone.(in some cases it's true) In most cases, the owner is irresponsible. Several years ago,in the town near me, a woman was walking, and a pit attacked and killed her. I am in the country, and can't walk my dogs on a leash, because there are owners that always leave their dogs loose. I have fence, but it would be nice to be able to go for a walk!
GOD be with those poor people,:pray: so traumatic, and they should pursue the dog owners. Such a horrible experience for them. They must be in shock.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We all need to pray for those poor people who lost their babies. Many (not all) of those dogs are lethal weapons, and certainly should not be walked by young children who are not strong enough to hold on. When any large dog is in "fight" mode,most adults have all they can do to hold, and then some. I am a fan of Judge Judy,and there are many cases of this breed attacking and/or killing smaller dogs. Many owners think that because their dogs love them, they love everyone.(in some cases it's true) In most cases, the owner is irresponsible. Several years ago,in the town near me, a woman was walking, and a pit attacked and killed her. I am in the country, and can't walk my dogs on a leash, because there are owners that always leave their dogs loose. I have fence, but it would be nice to be able to go for a walk!
GOD be with those poor people,:pray: so traumatic, and they should pursue the dog owners. Such a horrible experience for them. They must be in shock.

Horrific story... Lynn, I live in a subdivision and there are a couple of neighbors whose dogs are constantly on the loose. One dog in particular has come after my two... I've gone to the door several times to return their dog. OF COURSE they couldn't care less about the situation, so I've been carrying mace. I would absolutely HATE to use it, but I'll be dammed if me or my dogs are going to get hurt because someone is too lazy to keep an eye on their dog. It's a shame...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It is a shame [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] that their are people so uncaring about others(and there are many of them!). THEY are the ones who should be maced!!:evil::evilha: You have to do what you have to do, to protect yourself, and your dogs!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What a horrible attack - poor little yorkies and their family. On the other hand, not only pitbulls can attack. Castor had a Japanese Spitz cousin that was viciously attacked by a Jack Russel a few years ago. The owner had dropped the leash by mistake and it just appeared out of nowhere and attacked the Spitz, almost killing her.

I wonder what I would do if an aggressive dog tried to attack Castor. Castor and I ran into a Caucasion Ovcharka one morning, and that was scary, esp since the owner kept saying he was able to control the giant dog but that we should keep a distance. Not the usual morning dog meeting in the park.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What a horrible attack - poor little yorkies and their family. On the other hand, not only pitbulls can attack. Castor had a Japanese Spitz cousin that was viciously attacked by a Jack Russel a few years ago. The owner had dropped the leash by mistake and it just appeared out of nowhere and attacked the Spitz, almost killing her.

I wonder what I would do if an aggressive dog tried to attack Castor. Castor and I ran into a Caucasion Ovcharka one morning, and that was scary, esp since the owner kept saying he was able to control the giant dog...
I would not have trusted the owner and further than I could have thrown their dog. I'm gonna guess that you kept Castor a good distance away. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sadly it’s not just the breed it’s who’s at the other end of the leash.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I would not have trusted the owner and further than I could have thrown their dog. I'm gonna guess that you kept Castor a good distance away. :yes:

Well, to be honest both Castor and I were a bit curious at first, but yes, we kept a distance!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Horrific story... Lynn, I live in a subdivision and there are a couple of neighbors whose dogs are constantly on the loose. One dog in particular has come after my two... I've gone to the door several times to return their dog. OF COURSE they couldn't care less about the situation, so I've been carrying mace. I would absolutely HATE to use it, but I'll be dammed if me or my dogs are going to get hurt because someone is too lazy to keep an eye on their dog. It's a shame...

I have no idea if this is true or not but I was told that mace does not work on dogs but citronella does.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no idea if this is true or not but I was told that mace does not work on dogs but citronella does.

Oh CRAP... how am I supposed to carry Citronella around?!! LMAO!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene
Difference Between Dog and Human Pepper Spray

What is the difference between dog spray or dog mace and the human version? Which is stronger and can dog spray be used on humans and vice versa. Dog pepper spray or Muzzle canine repellent is not as strong as human pepper spray. It doesn’t have to be; a dog’s senses (sight, smell) are much more sensitive than ours are. As a result, it takes much less OC pepper spray resin to obtain the desired effect.
The amount of pepper resin in dog spray is typically less than half that of the industry standard human pepper spray. Human pepper spray is generally rated in Scoville Heat Units (SHU), the industry standard for human spray is about 2 million SHU.
I do not recommend the use of dog spray on humans. It would be a much better idea to purchase human pepper spray, then use it for self defense against both. Let me give you an example that hopefully explains why.
My wife and I like to walk or ride bikes around the neighborhood; sometimes this can be extremely difficult because two territorial dogs don’t like us passing in front of their home. I hear this scenario numerous times each day. Of course dog spray is effective against those two aggressive canines. What many people forget is that they are more likely to have problems with people than they are with dogs. You can increase that if walking or jogging after dark and your risk becomes higher if you are alone.
Why not choose a good human pepper spray that can protect you against both forms of attack? Will the people spray harm the dogs permanently or long term? No, pepper spray or mace are non-lethal self defense products. They will not cause any long term injury to people or animals.
The benefit of using a good spray are numerous. First, the effects are almost instant. Range, dependent on model is between 8-16 feet giving you the ability to stop a threat at a distance. The effects last long enough to get you and your family to safety. Pepper spray has a temporary effect that will ware off in about 30 minutes. Finally, it is legal in all states (a few such as NY, MA have restrictions) so you are within the law to use for self defense.
All of our defense sprays are made in the United States. The contents are listed on the canister and the expiration date or self life prominently displayed. Our sprays are extensively tested, they are fresh, and proven effective. Be cautious of pepper spray made over seas or if the expiration date or self life are not listed. We define our sprays in categories like good, better, and best.
PepperShot is a very good quality brand. It is available in 1/2 ounce keychain units as well as 2 and 4 ounce spray. PepperShot has a 2,000,000 SHU rating at a 10% pepper resin concentration. The self life is 36 months. Wildfire would be the better brand. It is an 18% spray with a 3 million SHU rating. You can purchase Wildfire in a variety of sizes from keychain all the way up to one pound. Fox 5.3 formula is the best and most effective on the market. It is an amazing 2% pepper resin and rated at 5.3 million SHU. Fox is the industry leader that law enforcement chooses more than any other brand.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Update...
Immediately after the incident, police were called to the scene and responded in time along with a local Police Captain. Only problem is, the Captain is the Grandmother of the two kids that lost control of the Pitbulls. No citations or tickets issued to anyone. Still no call to the injured party to report whether the dogs were rabies vaccinated or not. No animal licenses were ever asked for or produced. Sounds like a conflict of interest is brewing...and someone trying to sweep this under a rug. Probably not a good idea. This saga is becoming less about the dogs and more about the people. UGH!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Update...
Immediately after the incident, police were called to the scene and responded in time along with a local Police Captain. Only problem is, the Captain is the Grandmother of the two kids that lost control of the Pitbulls. No citations or tickets issued to anyone. Still no call to the injured party to report whether the dogs were rabies vaccinated or not. No animal licenses were ever asked for or produced. Sounds like a conflict of interest is brewing...and someone trying to sweep this under a rug. Probably not a good idea. This saga is becoming less about the dogs and more about the people. UGH!

Oh dear. Conflict of interests indeed, it seems.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.