Willow almost gave me a stroke... Ugh!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
SO we have about an inch or so of snow on the ground, it's mostly ice of course... and this morning I let the pups out to go potty after breakfast. NEVER dawned on me that the pups didn't notice the porch/steps were iced over... suddenly I see Willow take off across the yard to run up the steps to the backdoor. SURE enough, she hit that ice and fell off the steps. OMG... I ran out there (in my robe of course) she is fine, but seriously :facepalm2: I'll be putting some de-ice on the steps here soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY CRAP!! I hate ice... would rather three foot of snow than any ice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
HOLY CRAP!! I hate ice... would rather three foot of snow than any ice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That seems to be ALL that we get out here... it makes it impossible to go anywhere!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that you got a "little" snow. VERY happy that you and/or Willow did not get hurt! No snow here-just cold and mud! No like Tn.!! :whistle:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy that you got a "little" snow. VERY happy that you and/or Willow did not get hurt! No snow here-just cold and mud! No like Tn.!! :whistle:

Lynn!!!! How are ya!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Willow (and you!) - glad to hear she is fine.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I wouldn’t use de ice, it is salt and dogs will step into it and possibly lick after. Can irritate paws. I used boiling water and swept it dry, not letting new ice to form. Otherwise sand is better option.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
SO we have about an inch or so of snow on the ground, it's mostly ice of course... and this morning I let the pups out to go potty after breakfast. NEVER dawned on me that the pups didn't notice the porch/steps were iced over... suddenly I see Willow take off across the yard to run up the steps to the backdoor. SURE enough, she hit that ice and fell off the steps. OMG... I ran out there (in my robe of course) she is fine, but seriously :facepalm2: I'll be putting some de-ice on the steps here soon.

Ohhhhh uggggg it’s awful to see them fall! I hate this weather! I always go out with Joey so we’re both extra extra careful right now, but it’s so cold and icy, plus we got 9” from the storm.

I’m glad Willow didn’t get hurt......I so know how you felt

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We use pet safe ice melt and still wipe their paws down when they come in. All too thankful that we only got rain, no snow or ice...yet.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wouldn’t use de ice, it is salt and dogs will step into it and possibly lick after. Can irritate paws. I used boiling water and swept it dry, not letting new ice to form. Otherwise sand is better option.

I actually found a recipe online that uses hot water, dawn dish soap and a small amount of rubbing alcohol... worked like a charm!!!

- - - Updated - - -

We use pet safe ice melt and still wipe their paws down when they come in. All too thankful that we only got rain, no snow or ice...yet.

I ran out, so I made some from a recipe I found online. I need to stock up for the next event...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I actually found a recipe online that uses hot water, dawn dish soap and a small amount of rubbing alcohol... worked like a charm!!!

Please share that recipe.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I found the BEST pet and plant safe ice melt at Tractor Supply, starts off blue when you shake it out then as it works it turns to like a brown sand consistency, I really like it HOWEVER not sure it would work in today's temps.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please share that recipe.

I mixed

• 1 tsp. of Dawn dish soap*
  • 1 tbsp. of rubbing alcohol
  • 1/2 gallon of hot water
* It has been noted that other brands do not work as effectively
It did take a few refills, my path is large and the mixture pooled for a bit on thickly covered areas, which eventually did turn to puddles. I did also use some coarse kosher salt on the persistently thick areas to help make the ice have some traction and break it down a little faster. Just about 1/4 of a cup and only on the thick areas, the salt alone can dry out paws and while it’s safe for them to lick, it still can be very drying on their feet.
I didn't have to add extra salt at all, we just poured it and let it sit for a few minutes. Then broke up the pieces, and the rest had melted away...

- - - Updated - - -

I found the BEST pet and plant safe ice melt at Tractor Supply, starts off blue when you shake it out then as it works it turns to like a brown sand consistency, I really like it HOWEVER not sure it would work in today's temps.

I'm going to have to check that out, we have a Tractor Supply not that far from my house... Thanks for the tip!!!

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose

I had that happen to me the other day also! It's scary to think how easily they can get injured. Our guy sees the ice, but he's a diva and doesn't want to step on it so he tries to jump over it. More often than not, he overestimates his abilities and crashes down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.