Two question, advice needed

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so my 11mo old Tipsy is scared of almost everything, plastic bags and boxes being the worst. If anyone tries to pet her and they have some sorta handbag, box, backpack... she starts barking. Is there something I should try to get her more comfortable or will she grow out of it?

Second, she goes to day camp and plays well with others but when I take her for walks, she barks at other dogs. It's not an attack bark but still pretty annoying because once she gets closer and does her greetings, she is quiet. Makes me scratch my head and say "what was all that barking for then?" Any advice?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sometimes I think dogs have too good a memory. My bulldog Wilson is also fearful of a lot of things. When he was a puppy he accidentally tipped a food tray onto himself. He's been afraid of things overhead since then. I can't put on my ceiling fan anymore cause it scares him to death. If I carry anything large like boxes, big bags, brooms well most anything larger than himself he runs and hides. He's a great big bulldog 60+lbs yet he scares easily. Doesn't bark at anybody though and not afraid of other dogs. Sorry, don't have any advice but at least you know there are other dogs with this unusual fear.

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
Maybe the barking is her way of telling you "Dad! Dad! There's a dog over there! I want to see him!!" Bullys have a way of communicating all their own:) I feel your pain-it gets very annoying I know.
Have you had her eyes checked? At 11 mo old I'm sure they are fine, but our older dog is scared of everything and it's due to her poor vision. She can't make out what some things are. That said, Rosie is the exact same way ($100 and an eye exam later). I've heard other people say this about their bulldogs too. Maybe it's a bully thing? Rosie is scared to death of cups with straws. WTF? And forget bringing a trashbag anywhere near her! She'll run away with her butt tucked and barking over her shoulder. She has gotten a LITTLE bit better with age though. From one scaredy cat owner to the next....Good luck!
PS Tipsy is adorable!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I can't really address the barking because HRH doesn't ever bark apart from the occasional one howl sound she makes when a loud noise scares her.
She also though is afraid of LOTS of things. She has lived here over 7 months now and we still can't get her to stay in the kitchen or follow us there.
She is very affectionate in "her rooms" but doesn't want anything to do with the rest of the house.
Sudden movements and loud noises cause her to cower and scurry to her bed under the desk.
Her bed is under the desk because when we got her that's where she ran to hide, so we figured we might as well let that be her safe spot.

So I can't give advice on how to stop the fear, but can commiserate.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have the same problem with my Abby and barking around other dogs. She has been very socialized, so I too am confused. It is as if she just wants to be able to sniff and see them close up.
I really don't know if the fright will ever correct itself. Our Sophie jumped into our pool, following after me, she had no idea what it was and she has been frightened of water ever since (she is 11)
By the way, Your little one is adorable, we hope to see more photos soon.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm not really sure for the barking..never had that problem with Delilah, because from a young age, I kicked that to the curb, haha. My parents did not want me having a barky dog so I trained her out of that. She barks only for warning us.

As far as the fears...sensitization, I would say.

You have to associate the things she's afraid of with positive things. So, have a plastic bag across the room, but not close to her..have it so it's visible to her. Give her treats and lots of loving and tell her how good she is when she's around the bag. Eventually, you'll be able to move a bit closer without her barking. It takes awhile, but you'll be able to get her right up next to the things she's afraid of with no problem with proper sensitization.

I've only done it a few times and it's been awhile ago..so it might be worth googling?? It's a really good method. I even use it with my cats!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with Lauren on the treats to get the pup more willing to try to not be scared. As for the barking I also think it is maybe her wanting to play with the pups. Not sure how to correct it tho.

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Sarge is frightened by the strangest things too but mostly by new things in HIS house (new refrigerator, lamps) and things that make noise (vacuum, trash bags, pots and pans). I try to put the item down to his level as much as possible and sit next to the item and pet him and touch the item at the same time to show that it is not threatening- he will walk up, sniff, and bark at it for a while but eventually realizes it won't hurt him. A treat or two never hurts either ;)

As far as barking at other dogs I always assumed it was the dogs communicating to each other or his expression of nervousness/excitement at a new dog - I don't try to correct it, I just figure it is a "dog" thing :luv: good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.