Neutering angst

Status
Not open for further replies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It sems my update post disappeared into the ethereal. Oh well
Like many of you, I prefer things to evolve organically. Using wisdom teeth (human) as an analogy, there is no medical reason to have them pulled unless they are causing a problem. Unfortunately, the reputable daycare/boarders require certificate of neuter for liability. So like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], a vasectomy is the best option. Thus far, I have found 2 vets that perform vasectomies and another that administers Zeuterin. All charge way more than the traditional method; an alternative method fee. This makes NO sense. More vets are being interviewed, see the holistic vet list below.
Side note, I found that a spray bottle with a teaspoon of white vinegar stops the humping. Merely reaching for the bottle or a look is doing the trick.
Also, I found the following article helpful: https://www.miamiherald.com/living/pets/article137286958.html

Side note- who knew a dog could be entertained by a laser pointer? Apparently, itā€™s not just cats. Lol :haha:

Holistic veterinarian list: https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/

Good luck on your search... please be careful with the laser they can cause anxiety and aggression... too much stimulation. It drove our Banks over the edge and we had to throw them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
In Europe, we consider ourselves as being part of the Western world? I wouldnā€™t dare say that to a Brit or Italian to Greek..etc..hard head counties...lol...

Anyhoooo, I read somewhere way back that Sweden and/or Nordic counties donā€™t have roaming issues and you guys have very strict animal breeding laws. Is it still like that or has it started to change?

I know this is getting very OT, but yes, Europe is definitely part of the Western World! Perhaps many people in the Americas see their continents as "the West," but the Western World is a concept that has been used for two thousand years in Europe. Originally, it was a geographical phrase referring to Europe (West = Occident) in contrast to the East (= the Orient), but since the Americas were colonised by Europeans the concept has come to cover the industrialised/well-developed parts of the world. And then in the 20th c, the dichotomy West-East was much related to Western Europe/North America vs the Soviet Union/Eastern Europe, so the West came to mean 'the free world'.

Concerning roaming dogs: In Scandinavia there are (virtually) no strays or dogs who don't have an owner = no dogs on the streets. In Southern Europe, strays are not uncommon, and it has become increasingly common for people in Sweden to adopt rescued strays from eg Romania and Spain.

Re breeding laws: There are people in Scandinavia who breed dogs just to make money, and there is an increase in illegal import from eg Eastern Europe, but generally speaking, most dogs in Scandinavia come from reputable breeders who follow kennel club regulations as they want to register their dogs with the kennel club. Furthermore, all dogs in Sweden need to be registered with the Swedish Agriculatural board. I think what makes our little part of the world different from some other parts is not so much breeding rules but the rules that come with ownership (crating your dog is illegal, for instance).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION]. Smart having the owner register their dogs. A bit like here. If you own a dog you must get a license for it as if youā€™re stopped somewhere like street, parks etc n trust me Iā€™ve seen them roaming around, they give you a $250 fine and if you donā€™t register it they can come back knocking on your door (with your info). So for 35$ a year itā€™s no brainer. Also give you a fine if you donā€™t have pooping bags on you. Right now on Alberta there is an issue people stealing dogs. Another issue especially in the prairies there are tons of Indian Reservations. They simply donā€™t care as they all leave their dogs loose, breed amongst themselves freely. You canā€™t do much about it cause Indian Reservations are protected. A lot of their dogs you will find them in mostly all the Rescues. :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It sems my update post disappeared into the ethereal. Oh well
Like many of you, I prefer things to evolve organically. Using wisdom teeth (human) as an analogy, there is no medical reason to have them pulled unless they are causing a problem. Unfortunately, the reputable daycare/boarders require certificate of neuter for liability. So like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], a vasectomy is the best option. Thus far, I have found 2 vets that perform vasectomies and another that administers Zeuterin. All charge way more than the traditional method; an alternative method fee. This makes NO sense. More vets are being interviewed, see the holistic vet list below.
Side note, I found that a spray bottle with a teaspoon of white vinegar stops the humping. Merely reaching for the bottle or a look is doing the trick.
Also, I found the following article helpful: https://www.miamiherald.com/living/pets/article137286958.html

Side note- who knew a dog could be entertained by a laser pointer? Apparently, itā€™s not just cats. Lol :haha:

Holistic veterinarian list: https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/

Zeuterin was also an option but because itā€™s a mixture of all sorts I didnā€™t go for that. I always look down the road. Vasectomy itā€™s simply just a snip. Dogs do love laser./flashlight Duke ( when he was younger) went wild and on guard waiting for it. His whole body transform stiff and you see ever muscles n cures. Still does to this day when I used the flashlight to go in the far end of the backyard for there business n in winter no lights down there. Or sometimes in the house cause of the sun, the reflection from the cell phone on the wall, heā€™ll jump up on the wall. Lights all stopped for him as Duke has anxiety issues. I never used the flashlight much very rare as itā€™s mostly for winter times. Find out the tenant downstairs was playing with Duke with a laser. I explained to him what he was doing to Duke as he didnā€™t know. So do keep an eye on yours if the laser turns into an addicting game. Just a thought.

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
We had Wally neutered when he was older, almost 2... because he was becoming aggressive. I had reservations about neutering as well... and his aggressive issues did subside.

yeah, they subsided because he is deprived of energy and life force. please do not follow this protocol because it is specious. TRAIN your dog, don't butcher him!

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION]. Smart having the owner register their dogs. A bit like here. If you own a dog you must get a license for it as if youā€™re stopped somewhere like street, parks etc n trust me Iā€™ve seen them roaming around, they give you a $250 fine and if you donā€™t register it they can come back knocking on your door (with your info). So for 35$ a year itā€™s no brainer. Also give you a fine if you donā€™t have pooping bags on you. Right now on Alberta there is an issue people stealing dogs. Another issue especially in the prairies there are tons of Indian Reservations. They simply donā€™t care as they all leave their dogs loose, breed amongst themselves freely. You canā€™t do much about it cause Indian Reservations are protected. A lot of their dogs you will find them in mostly all the Rescues. :(

i disagree about registering, fines, taxes, etc. we are responsible adults. we do not need the nanny state in all of our business. i don't want to give half a penny to the out of control commie gov.

(indian reservations have other more serious problems as a direct result of gov forcing them into reservations hence socio-econ issues, w/ drug and alcohol abuse, violence, poverty, etc. so of course, their dogs are running wild -- that's the no-brainer.)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i disagree about registering, fines, taxes, etc. we are responsible adults. we do not need the nanny state in all of our business. i don't want to give half a penny to the out of control commie gov.

(indian reservations have other more serious problems as a direct result of gov forcing them into reservations hence socio-econ issues, w/ drug and alcohol abuse, violence, poverty, etc. so of course, their dogs are running wild -- that's the no-brainer.)

Easy... we are here to help and support, not to lecture and discuss politics. Please take those topics to other forums.

To each their own, allow members to make their own decisions based on our experiences, insight and knowledge... not talk down or demanding they do it one way or another. You can share you opinions without being hostile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
Easy... we are here to help and support, not to lecture and discuss politics. Please take those topics to other forums.

To each their own, allow members to make their own decisions based on our experiences, insight and knowledge... not talk down or demanding they do it one way or another. You can share you opinions without being hostile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you took it the wrong way. sorry.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Good luck on your search... please be careful with the laser they can cause anxiety and aggression... too much stimulation. It drove our Banks over the edge and we had to throw them away.
Several of our placements have suffered ligament injuries directly attributable to laser pointers. The "play" appears fun but the quick and continuous changes in direction over-torque the knees. Big $$ to repair. We emphatically recommend against their use.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Hey Hey Chill dear! Any dog roaming freely ā€œwillā€ breed as itā€™s natural n most of them will end up in shelters. Also yes, no one likes to give a penny to any government but sadly, sometimes we responsible adults will end up dishing out for the non responsible adults.

But like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, political topics is a different thread n topic. Iā€™m simply giving you what I went through with my dog as an option of a vasectomy. At the end of the day, your dog , your decision.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
yeah, they subsided because he is deprived of energy and life force. please do not follow this protocol because it is specious. TRAIN your dog, don't butcher him!

EXCUSE ME!!! I DO NOT consider neutering a butcher job... and for your information I worked with 2 TRAINERS before we even decided to have the surgery done. You make a LOT of assumptions based on zero knowledge of my situation, maybe you should take your "life force" and judgement elsewhere...

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
EXCUSE ME!!! I DO NOT consider neutering a butcher job... and for your information I worked with 2 TRAINERS before we even decided to have the surgery done. You make a LOT of assumptions based on zero knowledge of my situation, maybe you should take your "life force" and judgement elsewhere...

maybe the third trainer's the charm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=18572]Plato[/MENTION] everyone is entitled to their opinions, knowledge n experience. Why they will post how they dealt with an issue. Peopleā€™s opinion/post simply gives an insight whatā€™s going to happen or how to work with it as they went through it. No one is twisting anyoneā€™s arm to do what that person or their post says. Yes some can be clueless or not sure what to do with the specific issue. Why they ask just like you do in your threads. Doesnā€™t mean people are stupid simply they are educating themselves on a question(s) they are asking. Like going to your doctor if youā€™re ill.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If a dog is not already neutered or spayed when it comes in, then we take care of that before placement. I'm going to guess that about 40% of the dogs that come in require fixing. Half are males so that means we've done about 200 neuters in the past 20 years...although it seems like many more to me. There has been ZERO medical or behavioral issues with ANY of our males that can be attributed to the neutering. Neutering absolutely gives our bulldogs a better chance of being re-homed and is simply the responsible thing to do from the perspective of a rescue group.
This, FWIW to anyone considering this procedure.
"simply idiotic" is not anything I've ever been called before. Not knowing how to respond to that, I elect not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.