Status
Not open for further replies.

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Y'all I am having angst about neutering my pup. He turned 11 months today. I think the procedure is barbaric, but the humping and marking territory are getting out of hand. I reluctantly scheduled a neuter appointment for Tuesday, the 22nd on advisement of the puppy trainer, daycare, and vet. Haven't found anyone in my area that Zeuter's or does vasectomies. Finley has been such a scaredy-cat and moody the last week, or so I'm on the fence again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Y'all I am having angst about neutering my pup. He turned 11 months today. I think the procedure is barbaric, but the humping and marking territory are getting out of hand. I reluctantly scheduled a neuter appointment for Tuesday, the 22nd on advisement of the puppy trainer, daycare, and vet. Haven't found anyone in my area that Zeuter's or does vasectomies. Finley has been such a scaredy-cat and moody the last week, or so I'm on the fence again.

For Vasectomies, youā€™ll probably need to out outside or to a bigger city to find a vet that does it. Not all vets that thinks out of the box. Theyā€™re not taught to do vasectomies in vet schools. Duke had his vasectomy 18 months ago and still very on the go. I so donā€™t regret my decision. Regarding the humping and marking territory are getting out of hand, not because youā€™ll get him neutered, vasectomy or even if heā€™s still intact all going to stop....a male is a male, theyā€™re dogs, they will still do it but not as much. Duke lifts his leg to pee or squats, always smelling Nyalaā€™s butt or licking it but sheā€™ll sit down immediately not to get bothered so he leaves her alone. Do you have other dogs at home?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had Wally neutered when he was older, almost 2... because he was becoming aggressive. I had reservations about neutering as well... and his aggressive issues did subside. Humping is actually considered an act of dominance so don't be surprised if he still continues to hump... my spayed female is the humper in our house :lol:

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] The thing is I am in a major urban area & I still have not found a vet that performs an alternative method of sterilization. In answer to your question, Finley is my only pet. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I get that the humping may not go away. Literature and personal observation have me thinking Finley is attempting dominance and also projecting anxiety. He is a Velcro dog. Any ideas on how to get him to hump a pillow a not a person? Right now he is skittish of the pillow. Finley either runs from it or tries to attack it. Lol

If any knows a person within the NYC-NJ area that performs vasectomies or Zeuterā€™s please share. The daycare is best and I do not want him kicked out.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
We had Wally neutered when he was older, almost 2... because he was becoming aggressive. I had reservations about neutering as well... and his aggressive issues did subside. Humping is actually considered an act of dominance so don't be surprised if he still continues to hump... my spayed female is the humper in our house :lol:

:D Punk is my humper at home as well. When she does it - I look at her and say "you wish" . . .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] The thing is I am in a major urban area & I still have not found a vet that performs an alternative method of sterilization. In answer to your question, Finley is my only pet. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I get that the humping may not go away. Literature and personal observation have me thinking Finley is attempting dominance and also projecting anxiety. He is a Velcro dog. Any ideas on how to get him to hump a pillow a not a person? Right now he is skittish of the pillow. Finley either runs from it or tries to attack it. Lol

If any knows a person within the NYC-NJ area that performs vasectomies or Zeuterā€™s please share. The daycare is best and I do not want him kicked out.

scroll down on this link to the city...

https://www.parsemus.org/projects/veterinarian-list/

Example
NEW JERSEY
Gerald Buchoff, DVM and Elaine Kuo, DVM
Holistic Pet Care
125 Paterson Avenue, Suite 1
Little Falls, NJ 07424
(973) 256-3899
[email protected] Offering ovary-sparing spay, ovariectomy, and vasectomy.
Mary E. Stankovics, DVM
Pleasant Valley Veterinary Services, LLC
32 Pleasant Valley Road
Washington, New Jersey 07882
(908) 689-0773
[email protected] Offers ovary-sparing spay, ovariectomy, and vasectomy.

NEW MEXICO
William C. Thompson III, DVM, Ph.D. and Donald J. McDougall, DVM
New Mexico Repro at Los Lunas Animal Clinic
575 Hwy 314 NW
Los Lunas, NM 87031
(505) 865-4604
[email protected] Offering ovary-sparing spay, vasectomy, and mammary ultrasound.

NEW YORK
Robert Stein, DVM
Amherst Small Animal Hospital
2217 Kensington Avenue
Snyder, NY 14226
(716) 839-1100
[email protected] Offers ovary-sparing spay, and vasectomy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Try Red Bank hospital in Tinton Falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks for the info. The search continues.....

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
@helsonwheels The thing is I am in a major urban area & I still have not found a vet that performs an alternative method of sterilization. In answer to your question, Finley is my only pet. @ddnene I get that the humping may not go away. Literature and personal observation have me thinking Finley is attempting dominance and also projecting anxiety. He is a Velcro dog. Any ideas on how to get him to hump a pillow a not a person? Right now he is skittish of the pillow. Finley either runs from it or tries to attack it. Lol

Vasectomy is useless for for your purposes. Vasectomy only prevents fertility, blocking sperm from coming out, but as testicles stay intact, hormones are still produced, and for sure you want his balls gone because you want to decrease levels of testosterone to alleviate unwanted behaviours. Zeuterin injection reduces testosterone production for 2 years, after 2 years it usually goes back to normal.
For your purposes works only full castration.

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
do NOT neuter. training is all you need. humping can be corrected - i corrected it 99% in no time and the rare time he does it now it takes a few moments to stop w/ reinforcement.

(too many dogs got castrated and were still aggressive and of course became unhealthy.)

to relieve anxiety, get your boy on a KETO DIET. that will help in too many ways, from behavior to overall health.

chopping nuts off a dog is simply idiotic and a great way to get vets paid.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=18572]Plato[/MENTION] Iā€™m SO with you on this!

You know, I respect everyoneā€™s opinions as like I say often, at the end of the day, itā€™s your decision. But after having my GS castrated and he turned so aggressive and being on a mission 24/7...NO! Never again after what I went through for 8yrs, what my poor Major went through with all the training!?!?! I swore to myself (and him) next male dog keeps it all. Because I have Nyala I opt for a vasectomy. With all proven studies out there, there is ā€œnoā€ reason to neuter or especially castrations. Unless there is a health reason, yes, go for it. This is ā€œnormalā€ theyā€™re males! For any dogs to hump a humanā€™s leg or simply humps whatever, the dog simply not being taught that these behaviors are unacceptable.

There is a reason why in Europe neutering or castrations is not being done. This is simply a Western thing. I know this is MY OPINION, but people need to do their homework. You donā€™t jump into a surgery like so cause everyone says so or the vets that canā€™t be bother thinking out of the box cause they like their old ways. Can you imagine with all of todayā€™s advance technology in the medical field if we the human stayed behind cause some doctors donā€™t like modern technology?

Often we say ā€œdonā€™t touch whatā€™s not brokenā€ yes I say it too...but ā€œdependingā€ whatā€™s it for. Certain things you donā€™t ā€œwaitā€ till it breaks or it sure can back fire on you. Hereā€™s a couple links that might be of interest.

https://www.thethings.com/10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-spayneuter-your-dog/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/your-dog-needs-to-be-spayed-or-neutered-right/

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
[MENTION=18572]Plato[/MENTION] Iā€™m SO with you on this!

You know, I respect everyoneā€™s opinions as like I say often, at the end of the day, itā€™s your decision. But after having my GS castrated and he turned so aggressive and being on a mission 24/7...NO! Never again after what I went through for 8yrs, what my poor Major went through with all the training!?!?! I swore to myself (and him) next male dog keeps it all. Because I have Nyala I opt for a vasectomy. With all proven studies out there, there is ā€œnoā€ reason to neuter or especially castrations. Unless there is a health reason, yes, go for it. This is ā€œnormalā€ theyā€™re males! For any dogs to hump a humanā€™s leg or simply humps whatever, the dog simply not being taught that these behaviors are unacceptable.

There is a reason why in Europe neutering or castrations is not being done. This is simply a Western thing. I know this is MY OPINION, but people need to do their homework. You donā€™t jump into a surgery like so cause everyone says so or the vets that canā€™t be bother thinking out of the box cause they like their old ways. Can you imagine with all of todayā€™s advance technology in the medical field if we the human stayed behind cause some doctors donā€™t like modern technology?

Often we say ā€œdonā€™t touch whatā€™s not brokenā€ yes I say it too...but ā€œdependingā€ whatā€™s it for. Certain things you donā€™t ā€œwaitā€ till it breaks or it sure can back fire on you. Hereā€™s a couple links that might be of interest.

https://www.thethings.com/10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-spayneuter-your-dog/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/your-dog-needs-to-be-spayed-or-neutered-right/

what you write is NOT merely an opinion. it is backed by science.

my neighbor castrated her dog for aggressive behavior -- i warned her not to -- and her dog became MORE aggressive. and ESPECIALLY aggressive around un-neutered dogs: think about why that is.....

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
There is a reason why in Europe neutering or castrations is not being done. This is simply a Western thing.

Sorry... couldn't stop myself from jumping in here: In Europe, we consider ourselves as being part of the Western world :D - in fact, Europe is the origin of the idea of the Western world according to the East-West dichotomy (which of course can be questioned as a concept).

Back to the question of neutering: you are right; this is a cultural thing. Although numbers have gone up the last decades or so because some dog daycare centres, for instance, only accept neutered males, a vast majority of dogs in many European countries are intact.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry... couldn't stop myself from jumping in here: In Europe, we consider ourselves as being part of the Western world :D - in fact, Europe is the origin of the idea of the Western world according to the East-West dichotomy (which of course can be questioned as a concept).

Back to the question of neutering: you are right; this is a cultural thing. Although numbers have gone up the last decades or so because some dog daycare centres, for instance, only accept neutered males, a vast majority of dogs in many European countries are intact.

In Europe, we consider ourselves as being part of the Western world? I wouldnā€™t dare say that to a Brit or Italian to Greek..etc..hard head counties...lol...

Anyhoooo, I read somewhere way back that Sweden and/or Nordic counties donā€™t have roaming issues and you guys have very strict animal breeding laws. Is it still like that or has it started to change?

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
It sems my update post disappeared into the ethereal. Oh well
Like many of you, I prefer things to evolve organically. Using wisdom teeth (human) as an analogy, there is no medical reason to have them pulled unless they are causing a problem. Unfortunately, the reputable daycare/boarders require certificate of neuter for liability. So like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], a vasectomy is the best option. Thus far, I have found 2 vets that perform vasectomies and another that administers Zeuterin. All charge way more than the traditional method; an alternative method fee. This makes NO sense. More vets are being interviewed, see the holistic vet list below.
Side note, I found that a spray bottle with a teaspoon of white vinegar stops the humping. Merely reaching for the bottle or a look is doing the trick.
Also, I found the following article helpful: https://www.miamiherald.com/living/pets/article137286958.html

Side note- who knew a dog could be entertained by a laser pointer? Apparently, itā€™s not just cats. Lol :haha:

Holistic veterinarian list: https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions