helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
here itā€™s $75 for 25lbs or 11.36kg. Still pricey. Weā€™ve always fed a Duck formula but have switched to Zignature Duck to save $10 per bag. MINI still eating mostly Acana but we are very slowly transitioning her

Iā€™ll check it out if I find any here...

Acana is made here in Alberta and we pay the highest in all of Canada. Thatā€™s AB for you.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you want to stick to kibble, try a limited ingredient one with a single protein. Some good brands are Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature and Earthborn Holistic. If you want to try a dehydrated raw, a couple brands are The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's. There are also some great frozen raw foods if you want to go that route.

Orijen and Fromm don't make limited ingredient dog food. Acana Singles line, Zignature, Honest Kitchen limited ingredient line or Earthborne Holistic Venture line are probably the best limited ingredient products although there are some other decent ones including Merrick Limited and Canidae Limited https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/hypoallergenic-dog-foods/

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Why do you still feed Acana if it's so expensive? Why not just frozen raw ? It would probably be cheaper .

I feed both raw but when im out of town for a day or maybe 2, I will leave both dogs to one of my sonā€™s. Both sonā€™s have 3 dogs of their own so itā€™s easier for them the feed mine dry cause their dogs all eat dry. Nyala n Duke donā€™t eat kibbles all the time itā€™s mostly raw. But with my business I can leave weekends or come back late. Doesnā€™t happen often but it will once in a while. Why I always keep a bag of acana on hand. :).

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I feed both raw but when im out of town for a day or maybe 2, I will leave both dogs to one of my sonā€™s. Both sonā€™s have 3 dogs of their own so itā€™s easier for them the feed mine dry cause their dogs all eat dry. Nyala n Duke donā€™t eat kibbles all the time itā€™s mostly raw. But with my business I can leave weekends or come back late. Doesnā€™t happen often but it will once in a while. Why I always keep a bag of acana on hand. :).

Good reason !!! I used to keep a bag of dehydrated raw around but gave it away because it was getting old,so now I just have frozen raw.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all for responding. He does have a few on his head but mainly his body....and he's been gnawing his legs and now I'm noticing a bit of hair loss. I'm going to look into changing his food? I just don't know where to start with that!!

Where is he losing the hair? So, Ok you basically need to start over thatā€™s all...breathe!!!

Since youā€™re in Canada, get like mentioned start with Acana Duck. Acana does ONE protein per bag. By doing one protein per bag, you can eliminate the protein thatā€™s not working for him and will help you both in the near future what works n what doesnā€™t. A lot of members did the one protein at a time. Really works well.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Orijen and Fromm don't make limited ingredient dog food. Acana Singles line, Zignature, Honest Kitchen limited ingredient line or Earthborne Holistic Venture line are probably the best limited ingredient products although there are some other decent ones including Merrick Limited and Canidae Limited https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/hypoallergenic-dog-foods/

I was just giving examples of good quality kibbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
here itā€™s $75 for 25lbs or 11.36kg. Still pricey. Weā€™ve always fed a Duck formula but have switched to Zignature Duck to save $10 per bag. MINI still eating mostly Acana but we are very slowly transitioning her
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

...sounds quite reasonable ...here we pay US$ 100 for a bag of 11.4 kilos of Acana singles.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
The wife says less likely food than environmental but food out of the question.
She suggested putting him on home prepared chicken and rice for a week...see what happens. Do not be concerned with changes in stool...IOW, expect soft serve and if you donā€™t get it thatā€™s a bonus.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

...sounds quite reasonable ...here we pay US$ 100 for a bag of 11.4 kilos of Acana singles.

Youā€™re in Sweden so yes youā€™ll pay more for sure. The company is here in Alberta, made in the same province to and its 10$ differences compared across Canada. Anyway boils down it is a great kibble if anyone wants to feed their dogs only kibbles. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The wife says less likely food than environmental but food out of the question.
She suggested putting him on home prepared chicken and rice for a week...see what happens. Do not be concerned with changes in stool...IOW, expect soft serve and if you donā€™t get it thatā€™s a bonus.

Good idea, but why not lightly cooked turkey or beef with white rice? Chicken tends to be a little more allergenic.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=18802]Elleboss[/MENTION] do you have carpets? I donā€™t know but I still say them hives sure looks like some kind of bites. Food allergies, yes can happen but food is usually anything from chronic ear inflammation, gastrointestinal problems, chronic diarrhea to chronic gas, licking their feet, or an itchy butt. Hives is usually from like your vet said ā€œbitesā€. Mites would do them hives fore sure. Aside from all these ā€œmaybesā€, just BEFORE the hives, did you wash carpets, bedding, spray the house or the bed with fancy sprays....etc etc....like was there something new you did or changed?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all for responding. He does have a few on his head but mainly his body....and he's been gnawing his legs and now I'm noticing a bit of hair loss. I'm going to look into changing his food? I just don't know where to start with that!!

How is Nipsy doing?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.