Is Joey Losing Her Girlish Figure?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Question.....I see other bully photos taken from this perspective and they appear to have a rather well defined waste. Ummmmmm does Joey need to go on a diet? She weighed 65ish pounds at her well dog check up over the summer. The vet did say not to worry BUT to cut back on amount of kibble at each feeding (she gets .75 cup in the am and .75 cup in the evening)

IMG_8572.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
.75 of one food could have more calories than 1 cup of another food, so the qty of food is not as important as the total calorie count. Does your little beauty get much exercise? Has her activity level changed much?

She looks 3-5 lbs over ideal but she’s far from obese, IMO.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
.75 of one food could have more calories than 1 cup of another food, so the qty of food is not as important as the total calorie count. Does your little beauty get much exercise? Has her activity level changed much?

She looks 3-5 lbs over ideal but she’s far from obese, IMO.

Thanks! I walk at 6:30 every morning and she will go for a short part of the walk but only IF one of her dog friends is going.....Unless one of her friends is going too she literally stops at the edge of the yard and will NOT move.

I dedicate an hour right after I close my office for playtime, mostly toss and bring back toy. But she sleeps A TON! She'll be 4 y/o May 31st and has been a very good sleeper for the past 2 years. She sleeps all day in my office except for the occasional delivery person greeting. I'm thankful to hear not obese.....

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'm thankful to hear not obese.....
Want to be able to feel ribs and not see them
Want to be able to tell where the rib cage stops...and see a little dip at the waist

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Want to be able to feel ribs and not see them
Want to be able to tell where the rib cage stops...and see a little dip at the waist

Thanks!

Hmmmm, well.....might need to put my sweetheart on a little diet and exercise plan.....

I can tell where rib cage stops, ribs have a bit of a "cushion" on them

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Question.....I see other bully photos taken from this perspective and they appear to have a rather well defined waste. Ummmmmm does Joey need to go on a diet? She weighed 65ish pounds at her well dog check up over the summer. The vet did say not to worry BUT to cut back on amount of kibble at each feeding (she gets .75 cup in the am and .75 cup in the evening)

View attachment 115155

Gosh, it's so interesting to see how they all are so different. Louie gets 1.5 cups of kibble just in the am and then approximately 9.2 ounces of raw in the pm which I just started increasing to try to add a couple pounds on.

I think a lot of people have had success with cutting back on kibble and then adding in some fresh green beans to give the feeling of "fullness" and cut back on the calories. But as mentioned, the food you are feeding might have more calories than other brands.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Gosh, it's so interesting to see how they all are so different. Louie gets 1.5 cups of kibble just in the am and then approximately 9.2 ounces of raw in the pm which I just started increasing to try to add a couple pounds on.

I think a lot of people have had success with cutting back on kibble and then adding in some fresh green beans to give the feeling of "fullness" and cut back on the calories. But as mentioned, the food you are feeding might have more calories than other brands.

You know I've never looked at calorie count until now, here it is for Life's Abundance Grain Free All Stage Kibble

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated): Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,884 kcal/kg, 501 kcal/cup

Is this considered high calorie? Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know I've never looked at calorie count until now, here it is for Life's Abundance Grain Free All Stage Kibble

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated): Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,884 kcal/kg, 501 kcal/cup

Chips bang on... all about calories especially if she doesn’t move much but fetch a toy. This isn’t really exercised. I know it sucks lol. You working from home?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Louie’s Zignature pork is 3,970 kcals per kg and 430 kcals per cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Like @cbrug, sometimes mine will get Acana and I just bought Acana Duck which is 3393kcal. 407 kcal per cup

Again a previous post....this is your ingredients in your bag

Ingredients:
Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Field Peas, Chickpeas, Potatoes, Chicken Fat, (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Whitefish Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Salmon Oil, Yeast Culture, Sunflower Lecithin, Carrots, Salt, Celery, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharide, Yeast Extract, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Beets, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Parsley, Lettuce, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Inositol, Watercress, Spinach, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri Fermentation Product.

Contains a source of viable, naturally-occurring microorganisms.

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated): Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,884 kcal/kg, 501 kcal/cup.

So as you see your bag has potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets n carrots...Carbs!!

Now if you do the math Joey is averaging 100cal 2x per day more than other brands. Example...A small potatoe n a sweet potatoe basically has the same calories like 85cal but in carbs it’s different.. ex a small red potatoe has 27gr, white potatoe has 34gr n sweet potatoe has 36gr of carbs.

If you go with legumes like lentils that’s ex: for 1/2 a cup it’s 19g of carbs minus 8g of fiber which gives you for 1/2 cup 11g of net carbs. That’s healthier in my opinion.

Here’s acana duck if you want to compare.... OH one more thing in your brand, I’m against chicken fat. IMO, That isn’t healthy.

027E2969-2DC6-492B-AA0E-15D4D711FB38.jpeg

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Chips bang on... all about calories especially if she doesn’t move much but fetch a toy. This isn’t really exercised. I know it sucks lol. You working from home?

Yes, either traveling to auction sites or at home office. Mostly home office with occasional trips.

Looks like I need to step up her activity for sure!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Like @cbrug, sometimes mine will get Acana and I just bought Acana Duck which is 3393kcal. 407 kcal per cup

Again a previous post....this is your ingredients in your bag

Ingredients:
Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Field Peas, Chickpeas, Potatoes, Chicken Fat, (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Whitefish Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Salmon Oil, Yeast Culture, Sunflower Lecithin, Carrots, Salt, Celery, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharide, Yeast Extract, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Beets, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Parsley, Lettuce, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Inositol, Watercress, Spinach, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri Fermentation Product.

Contains a source of viable, naturally-occurring microorganisms.

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated): Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,884 kcal/kg, 501 kcal/cup.

So as you see your bag has potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets n carrots...Carbs!!

Now if you do the math Joey is averaging 100cal 2x per day more than other brands. Example...A small potatoe n a sweet potatoe basically has the same calories like 85cal but in carbs it’s different.. ex a small red potatoe has 27gr, white potatoe has 34gr n sweet potatoe has 36gr of carbs.

If you go with legumes like lentils that’s ex: for 1/2 a cup it’s 19g of carbs minus 8g of fiber which gives you for 1/2 cup 11g of net carbs. That’s healthier in my opinion.

Here’s acana duck if you want to compare.... OH one more thing in your brand, I’m against chicken fat. IMO, That isn’t healthy.

View attachment 115158

Thanks Helene! You know it was a photo of Duke that got me thinking Joey might need to lose some weight LOL

Edited to say - It's like Joey read my thoughts LOL she went on my 6:30am walk this morning....at least one lap :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did the green bean thing with Banks... works like a charm. She was on Fromm pork and peas, 1 cup 2x a day, needed to drop 3-5 pounds so I lessened kibble to 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup of beans... she dropped the weight pretty quickly, 4-6 weeks maybe

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I did the green bean thing with Banks... works like a charm. She was on Fromm pork and peas, 1 cup 2x a day, needed to drop 3-5 pounds so I lessened kibble to 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup of beans... she dropped the weight pretty quickly, 4-6 weeks maybe

I did the same w/Walter... and it was super easy!!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks so much! I will try the green bean diet (fingers crossed)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online