Video from 1953 about Bulldogs

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Cute video ! Did English Bulldogs only used to live 6 years back then ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Cute video ! Did English Bulldogs only used to live 6 years back then ?

I also did read on that statement. Lived till 6.25 yrs old.. .25 have no clue why! Guess itā€™s ā€œgive or takeā€ months lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
As Bulldog owners, weā€™ve come a long way...in extending that lifespan. Modern Veterinary medicine has also propped us up a bit.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Great video! Iā€™m glad members chimed in about life span.....kind of shocked me. I guess evidence shows that life span has been extended, at least thatā€™s my hope!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Great video! Iā€™m glad members chimed in about life span.....kind of shocked me. I guess evidence shows that life span has been extended, at least thatā€™s my hope!

I'm thinking the premium dog food plays a big role. If you give large breed puppy dog food when your dog is a puppy that doesn't promote too rapid growth but with quality ingredients you will help prevent future hip dysplasia. Also don't neuter your dog till it's at least one year of age to minimize hip dysplasia. Then you follow that up with the appropriate amount of vaccinations - after 1 yr of age just rabies vaccine every 3 years and the core vaccine every 5 years ,or just do titres for the core vaccine and re-vaccinate if needed if titres are readily available at your vet. Heart worm and flea and tick medicine- again, minimal- give heart worm medicine ( preferably one that only stays in body for a day like ivermectin or milbemycin ) every 6 weeks between June 1 and Nov 1 in cold climates. Give flea and tick medicine probably March 1 to Nov 1 in cold climates,or even year round if you take your dog for walks in the woods since there are many days above 4 degrees celsius in the winter.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'm thinking the premium dog food plays a big role. If you give large breed puppy dog food when your dog is a puppy that doesn't promote too rapid growth but with quality ingredients you will help prevent future hip dysplasia. Also don't neuter your dog till it's at least one year of age to minimize hip dysplasia. Then you follow that up with the appropriate amount of vaccinations - after 1 yr of age just rabies vaccine every 3 years and the core vaccine every 5 years ,or just do titres for the core vaccine and re-vaccinate if needed if titres are readily available at your vet. Heart worm and flea and tick medicine- again, minimal- give heart worm medicine ( preferably one that only stays in body for a day like ivermectin or milbemycin ) every 6 weeks between June 1 and Nov 1 in cold climates. Give flea and tick medicine probably March 1 to Nov 1 in cold climates,or even year round if you take your dog for walks in the woods since there are many days above 4 degrees celsius in the winter.

WOW awesome information!!!! Really great points, all showing reasons for extended life span....I'm confident!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.