Care when you are away

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
My husband and I have a 3 month old EBD. She is lovely and we are coming along on her training. Iā€™m really worried about a 2 week trip to Hawaii for a very overdue honeymoon we have planned before she was ever even thought about for our family. We are going in May so she will be about 8 months then. I have a care routine we follow daily thanks to this forum and we have a certain way we want to do things with her. Whatā€™s the best boarding situation?

We looked into a swanky animal lodge in town thatā€™s quite $$$ but she is our baby. They donā€™t do crates, but give them their own rooms and the dogs get to socialize and they have a little wading pool for the dogs when the weather is nice. Itā€™s upscale and looks absolutely lovely. I donā€™t feel like I would look stupid coming in with my list of care instructions. If we do that, I think I need to do some doggy day care sessions to get her used to the environment.

The other option is a family member who will stay in our home but I worry they are not very....how should I say this....diligent about care/training. I canā€™t guarantee the care instructions would be followed to a T but they would stay in our home and I think they would try to care but just isnā€™t up to what I do. The person is watching my wild son during the trip so I feel bad to put both the dog and child on her. My son will be so sad the dog isnā€™t there with him though.

We also have a friend who is willing to let her stay at her house but I feel bad putting her out because she doesnā€™t have a dog (has had lots of dogs in the past and worked for a vet) because she is very concerned about dog mess and it just is too much work to her at this point in her life with a small child. She would happily take our baby and treat her like a queen and follow every one of our instructions. I just feel somewhat bad about putting that on her. Although we would get her a gift/pay her/take her to dinner as a thank you.

Thanks for staying with me if you read my ramblings. I just am torn over what to do in this situation!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My husband and I have a 3 month old EBD. She is lovely and we are coming along on her training. Iā€™m really worried about a 2 week trip to Hawaii for a very overdue honeymoon we have planned before she was ever even thought about for our family. We are going in May so she will be about 8 months then. I have a care routine we follow daily thanks to this forum and we have a certain way we want to do things with her. Whatā€™s the best boarding situation?

We looked into a swanky animal lodge in town thatā€™s quite $$$ but she is our baby. They donā€™t do crates, but give them their own rooms and the dogs get to socialize and they have a little wading pool for the dogs when the weather is nice. Itā€™s upscale and looks absolutely lovely. I donā€™t feel like I would look stupid coming in with my list of care instructions. If we do that, I think I need to do some doggy day care sessions to get her used to the environment.

The other option is a family member who will stay in our home but I worry they are not very....how should I say this....diligent about care/training. I canā€™t guarantee the care instructions would be followed to a T but they would stay in our home and I think they would try to care but just isnā€™t up to what I do. The person is watching my wild son during the trip so I feel bad to put both the dog and child on her. My son will be so sad the dog isnā€™t there with him though.

We also have a friend who is willing to let her stay at her house but I feel bad putting her out because she doesnā€™t have a dog (has had lots of dogs in the past and worked for a vet) because she is very concerned about dog mess and it just is too much work to her at this point in her life with a small child. She would happily take our baby and treat her like a queen and follow every one of our instructions. I just feel somewhat bad about putting that on her. Although we would get her a gift/pay her/take her to dinner as a thank you.

Thanks for staying with me if you read my ramblings. I just am torn over what to do in this situation!!!

Well.....you want to go on vacation or not? If you need a babysitter for your ā€œwild sonā€ as you put it (that was funny) and one for the house, then go with the family member. Leave them your friendā€™s phone #....You cant be too picky when you can have the son, dog n house looked after all together. Unless if the person is ill n canā€™t handle everything, then yeah for sure go with the friend. I sure wouldnā€™t go with the animal lodge for an EB. But thatā€™s me...

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
I think I came off wrong. Iā€™m trying to make it easy on anyone willing to help us and not ask too much which is why we considered just boarding the dog. We donā€™t need anyone to stay at our house and watch it, but the family member wants to stay at our house and asked if they could. From past experiences I just am not sure they can handle upkeep of the dog because they have a health condition that makes them extremely tired. They are only keeping the child 1 of the 2 weeks too because the child will go to his dads house so it would be more on her to keep the dog. I wasnā€™t trying to sound demanding but I donā€™t want the dog to get yeasty or anything either. Just being realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I think I came off wrong. Iā€™m trying to make it easy on anyone willing to help us and not ask too much which is why we considered just boarding the dog. We donā€™t need anyone to stay at our house and watch it, but the family member wants to stay at our house and asked if they could. From past experiences I just am not sure they can handle upkeep of the dog because they have a health condition that makes them extremely tired. They are only keeping the child 1 of the 2 weeks too because the child will go to his dads house so it would be more on her to keep the dog. I wasnā€™t trying to sound demanding but I donā€™t want the dog to get yeasty or anything either. Just being realistic.

Naaaa you didnā€™t come off the wrong way... Iā€™m direct to..I say it as is.. worked with teens for yearsssss. Iā€™m brainwashed lolll

Ok so then leave your fur baby with the friend. Iā€™m babysitting as we speak one of my sonā€™s 3 dogs plus my 2.. I didnā€™t sleep much last night. Probably explains the ā€œdirect ā€œ part lolll

But seriously, if thereā€™s health conditions in the family member side, leave it to the friend. Friend has experience n worked at a vets office. Even though she has a small child, she wouldnā€™t have offered it if she couldnā€™t do it. Just a thought...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We are lucky to have found a very reliable pet sitter that stays in our home overnight with our pups. But, I have also done daycare/lodge in the past... you have time to make this decision so what I would do is try out the lodge for a few day cre sessions and see how you feel about how your baby is cared for while there for a day.

based on your post, I'm thinking, you are like me, and if your baby is well care for as you see fit, there will be hell to pay. So, of course, my first would be family or friend at my home, but you have to look at the full picture, as you are... are those options realistic based on their situation and work ethic.

I think you have plenty of time to feel this all out, and it is great that you have three options to do a trail of before you HAVE to decide

Most Reactions