Billy A
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Puma
    Likes (Received)

Default Flying with Bulldogs

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Im back and forth between LA NY and Houston. Im tired of boarding my Dog or leaving her with family members who dont even have dogs themselves(They all love her nonetheless).... I spoke to southwest and did my research. I can board with her in the cabin just have to pay the pet fee... I could even worse case buy all 2/3 seats not to inconvenience other passengers.

Im leaving Houston to La in a couple weeks (4hr flight). Now my question is will my Puma be safe as far as breathing etc as thats my concern since bulldogs are brachycephalic??? I have the option to fly her charter on the way back. She doesn't have any health problems at all and has a checkup on the 8th of Jan.

Im not looking to fly with her every time or make it constant but this time my GF who usually has her will be going aswell. Thank you

Bulldog Vet in Training Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flying with Bulldogs

I’m afraid you misunderstood something. No airline accepts that huge dogs like English bulldogs in cabin. Only very small pets which fit under the seat in pet carrier. Most of airlines don’t accept brachys even as cargo exactly because of the concern for their ability to supply themselves with oxygen.

3. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    Only very small pets which fit under the seat in pet carrier. Most of airlines don’t accept brachys even as cargo exactly because of the concern for their ability to supply themselves with oxygen.
    A quick search...
    "For pets traveling in the cabin, soft or hard-sided carriers should be a maximum of 18.5" x 8.5" x 13.5" (47 cm x 22 cm x 34 cm). They must be leak-proof, well ventilated, and small enough to fit under the seat in front. Your cat or dog must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease." If still a requirement, Puma will not fit.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

If someone has told you something different than the above posts, you had better search until you reach someone much "higher up" in the "food chain". Many airlines are not transporting pets anymore due to the "crazies" bringing ostriches,squirrels,snakes, as therapy animals. Please do not put her in cargo,it is so dangerous.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Real Name
    Billy A
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Puma
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    A quick search...
    "For pets traveling in the cabin, soft or hard-sided carriers should be a maximum of 18.5" x 8.5" x 13.5" (47 cm x 22 cm x 34 cm). They must be leak-proof, well ventilated, and small enough to fit under the seat in front. Your cat or dog must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease." If still a requirement, Puma will not fit.
    I reached out to some people on twitter who flew EB via southwest and posted the two ppl who responded said it was possible. I know thats iffy and probably very few occasions. Im just going to wait on it or get her driven out here if I ever stay more than 3 weeks.

Anyhow can I still put her on a charter??? im really considered about the breathing/oxygen part. I know of a local breeder who delivers pups via air but hasn't flown her grown dogs. She gave me the go ahead just confirming.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member thett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Theresa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Flying with Bulldogs

If Puma is your emotional support dog, she may fly on your lap or possibly in the seat next to you for purchase.... just sayin... give it a search

Real Name
    Billy A
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Puma
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    If someone has told you something different than the above posts, you had better search until you reach someone much "higher up" in the "food chain". Many airlines are not transporting pets anymore due to the "crazies" bringing ostriches,squirrels,snakes, as therapy animals. Please do not put her in cargo,it is so dangerous.
    TRUST ME she'll never go cargo. I happen to have ties to an international musician who offered to fly her for me fo free. So thats the option im looking at just scared about the breathing issue

11. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I cannot imagine that an in-cabin charter flight would be much of a risk, if any risk at all.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

13. Likes 2BullyMama, PumasDad liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

IF, and I do mean IF, you fly her in cabin, that would be perfectly fine. She will breathe the same air you do. It's only in the hold that problems arise.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

15. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabelle
    Likes (Received)

When you say on a charter what do you mean? Like on a Citation or Lear or King Air? If so that wouldnít be as bad as your bull would be in the cabin with you. As for SWA be prepared to turn around and go home at the airport if an agent insists on checking your dog. I would NOT under ANY circumstances put any type of bracycephalic under the aircraft in the cargo hold. NEVER NEVER NEVER. SWA is a great airline and I hope it works out for you. Also the air inside the cabin can feel as high as 8000 ft (the higher the cruise altitude the higher the cabin altitude) so thereís even less oxygen to breathe for your dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes 1Chumly, oscarmayer, sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabelle
    Likes (Received)

Also regarding cargo holds on airliners. Itís not the fact that theyíre in the hold because those are temperature regulated and also at the same cabin altitude as you upstairs in your seat. Itís the fact that itís dark and your dog is surrounded by bags in an unfamiliar space. They get nervous and are always panting when I see them on the ramp waiting to be loaded. Most look sad as they are likely scared and donít know whatís going on. THAT is why Iíll never check my dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Likes 1Chumly, oscarmayer liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We had a French bulldog die here over Christmas as it was being flown and the airline left it out on the runway in the extreme heat and the poor baby died, this is another thing you have to consider too.
    This was on our news not my pet.

21. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads