Females first heat ?'s

Tractionlesscoltgt

Mar 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quatro
My little girl has just went into her first heat at 9 months I have a question concerning her area down there its is really swollen I have never had a bigger female dog so it seems almost abnormal I have had a female shihtzu so I cant really compare to her. She is acting totally normal has plenty of energy she does not seem to be in pain or agitated by it. She is eating well and drinking normal amounts of water. She is about 9-10 days into her cycle so far! Can anyone post a picture of there lil ladies vulva so I can compare? Am I just being paranoid? I'll see if I can post a picture as well when she wakes up in the morning.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My little girl has just went into her first heat at 9 months I have a question concerning her area down there its is really swollen I have never had a bigger female dog so it seems almost abnormal I have had a female shihtzu so I cant really compare to her. She is acting totally normal has plenty of energy she does not seem to be in pain or agitated by it. She is eating well and drinking normal amounts of water. She is about 9-10 days into her cycle so far! Can anyone post a picture of there lil ladies vulva so I can compare? Am I just being paranoid? I'll see if I can post a picture as well when she wakes up in the morning.

Iā€™ll tag a member that her bella is going through alllll that... [MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION]

OP
T

Tractionlesscoltgt

Mar 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quatro
Do you have a link to her thread in regards to this?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yes it is extremely normal for their vulva to become swollen... normally that is the first sign they are in a heat cycle.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Swelling is very normal. In fact they swell quite a bit. The swelling will last until she is done with her "heat" cycle. Be VERY careful, as if there are any male dogs in the area, they will be attracted by the smell. She is "ready for breeding" at this time, and until she is out of heat, so be alert! As Bella's mama does, you can get doggie diapers for her. [MENTION=18152]Tractionlesscoltgt[/MENTION]

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I don't have a picture but I can tell you that Bella's Vulva was huge and red. Boy was she a meenie during her heat. Good luck! It was something else trying to keep that panty on her.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Iā€™ll tag a member that her bella is going through alllll that... [MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION]

Yes she was/is pretty swollen. Have had the diapers on her for 3 weeks now ;)
I think we thought she was in heat a little earlier that she actually was (hubby is very squimish about anything dripping around the house! Lol).
Luckily she is very good with letting me put her diaper on, sheā€™ll stand at the back door and let me put them on her with no problem at all. She is very lovable while in heat though not grumpy whatsoever. Actually a little clingy. Oh and has been eating more than usual too. She has been finishing her food at one time where as usually sheā€™ll eat some then walk away for a while before finishing.

OP
T

Tractionlesscoltgt

Mar 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quatro
Well a report back her vulva was scary swollen and started to turn like a purplish color and had us freaked out so we took her in and the vet said perfectly normal. She definitely was a grump during this time. Thank you for all the awnsers/comments

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online