Rebecca Giardina

Aug 7, 2015
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
GusGus
In the midst of mourning our beautiful boy, my husband and I saw a craigslist add for an Olde English needing a new home.
He explained she was 100% house trained, good with small dogs and kids, and UTD on everything.

We drove 2 hours south to meet her and saw she was skinny and anxious. She isn't bad with other dogs, but absolutely not great with them. Last night she and our small dog actually got into a small fight and we had to force her off the little dog.
She has NO shot records, no vet history but is apparently spayed (I've never had a female dog so unsure how to tell?)
She is nothing like Gus was, she's huge, strong and slightly intimidating. I am not her biggest fan but my husband wants to try everything to make her life better than before. She never had a yard and her previous owner worked all day.

Dasia (her name) will not go near a crate, so I can't get her inside a crate for potty training, she is peeing everywhere and chews up everything.
I would LOVE some tips on training 'rescued' bulldogs. I'm not comfortable taking her to a public training class as I don't know her full strength and how she will be near other dogs.

My husband is actually researching immunotherapy so he can reduce his dog allergies, that is how much he wants her to work out in our family.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are plenty here to help... tagging a few people with experience to help.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Try finding a trainer that will come to your home, that would be a great help to get her settled in and begin training.

Try to start a schedule for potty training.. treat her like a puppy.. every two hours, right after play or waking take her out and praise her for going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Rebecca Giardina I used to have a German Shepherd, and I decided that she needed a playmate. I saw an ad for a 2 year old Belgian Malanois male. My husband and I went to see him. He was very thin, and chained outside on a 3 ft. chain. The man brought him in the house, and each time he moved his arm,while speaking, the dog flinched.
We immediately bought the dog, not knowing anything about him. He went to the vet, the next day, got shots, and castrated. The first month, anything he got hold of, he would chew up. He would pee in the house. He was so insecure, that it took a month for him to realize that he was not going to be beaten, chained outside, or starved. I had to watch him like a little pup, so he wouldn't pee, and it took several months for him to settle in and,I think, accept the fact that he was here to stay. He turned out to be a wonderful,trustworthy dog, and a great protecter. I would have patience, and try to deal with this poor dog,and treat her as if she was a pup-keep a close eye on her, do not allow her to hurt the others,it may just be insecurity.She has got to learn to trust you and your husband, and it will take awhile.
I don;t know if your yard is fenced,but when you take her out, she should be on a leash, until she has a routine, and does learn to trust.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
In the midst of mourning our beautiful boy, my husband and I saw a craigslist add for an Olde English needing a new home.
He explained she was 100% house trained, good with small dogs and kids, and UTD on everything.

We drove 2 hours south to meet her and saw she was skinny and anxious. She isn't bad with other dogs, but absolutely not great with them. Last night she and our small dog actually got into a small fight and we had to force her off the little dog.
She has NO shot records, no vet history but is apparently spayed (I've never had a female dog so unsure how to tell?)
She is nothing like Gus was, she's huge, strong and slightly intimidating. I am not her biggest fan but my husband wants to try everything to make her life better than before. She never had a yard and her previous owner worked all day.

Dasia (her name) will not go near a crate, so I can't get her inside a crate for potty training, she is peeing everywhere and chews up everything.
I would LOVE some tips on training 'rescued' bulldogs. I'm not comfortable taking her to a public training class as I don't know her full strength and how she will be near other dogs.

My husband is actually researching immunotherapy so he can reduce his dog allergies, that is how much he wants her to work out in our family.

I'm not great on training dogs, so no comment on that part, but want to commend you on taking her. If you look underneath you should see a scar near her private parts if she has been spayed. Also, your husband may gradually get desensitized through daily contact with her and not need immunotherapy for his allergy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How old is she? I think the other way, you should go to training class even though you donā€™t know her strength as thatā€™s what trainers are there for. Youā€™re the one that needs to go since youā€™re not her biggest fan as you put it. You need to show her youā€™re the alpha so she can come down a few notches and trust you. Very hard to rescue or adopt a dog thatā€™s not a pup as you have no clue what happened to them and what kind of life they truly had. You need to make sure you warn the trainer in advance so he/she can take Dasia one on one to start her off. Can be completely the opposite and Dasia does great. Regarding the crate, maybe something happened with her n a crate. Fighting with your other dog is territorial by yours or her. Why you n her needs a trainer but a good one. Baby steps for sure.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
The fact that this dog has already attacked(to the point of you having to intervene) an established household member is most troubling. What would have happened had you not been close by? This episode right away means constant management. The previous owner declared that she was good with other dogs and children. Now you know this was untruthful so you MUST also assume that she's NOT good with children until she proves herself otherwise. This is a huge liability/responsibility. The words "she's huge, strong and slightly intimidating" are equally troubling...especially for someone(you) that is not a seasoned veteran in dealing with rescue dogs.

We have never had a dog that we could not get into a kennel. We've had plenty that resisted, but we always win. The door opens and they go in...one way or another. They may not like it and may try to get out and bark and raise cane, but they go in and they come out when we let them out. They eat in that kennel...every meal. That's part of being in control, being the Alpha. Establishing yourself as Alpha can be ugly at first. This is where you will discover her level of bite inhibition...and quite possibly, why she was given up. Prepare and protect yourself.

Start by getting her into a kennel. Reward with a treat once in. Both you and husband need to do this together. The physically stronger of the two of you needs to lead.
Additionally, for this rescue to succeed, you both need to be all in. If you are unsure, then the likelihood of a failed adoption is exponentially higher.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You have been given great advice above. I also would recommend bringing a trainer into your home.

Plato

Aug 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Plato
is having a skittish and potentially dangerous dog for a novice (in these situations) really a worthwhile or smart project? i just don't get why people do this to themselves. i mean, you will literally have to always be on edge and always worrying about a situation which is supposed to bring you comfort, companionship and peace of mind.

find a seasoned alpha dog person and let them give this dog a great life.

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Just wanted to say I really admire your willingness to bring a new dog into your home to protect the dog.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online