JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Does anyone have a favorite brand of life jacket for your bully when in the water. We spend a great deal of time down at the lake in the summer and while Wilson won't be with us on the boat due to the heat, we will be able to take him to the shore in the late afternoon/early evening so I'd like a good life jacket for him. Our dogs DO NOT go in the water without one as you can see from the picture below. I couldn't help but to post of picture of Orion doing what he loved, being on the boat at the lake (he passed on 1/31/11). Hope you all don't mind that he's not a bully.

I've done a few searches but haven't seen if there's one specifically designed for Bulldogs. The jacket below is from Ruff Wear.

1027514701033756006.jpg2690924650033756006.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh @jeanneco..I didn't realize you just lost a dear old dog..I am sorry and know how you feel..we lost 2 great guys in less than a year..sigh..but..it looks like he had a great life. We also want a life jacket for Jake. We have a tiny ..I mean tiny..lol..place in our local mountains and a great lake to play in. NOT one of THE great lakes..lol..after all, we are in so California! I will be very interested in what info you get here..thanks for great topic!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Becky on Orion. He loved the lake and that's where he got his spark so to speak - he'd come alive in the water and had the greatest bark when waiting for a stick at the shoreline to be thrown in for him, we'll miss him this year sigh.... I still get teary eyed - he was Ace's litter mate of 12.5 years. So sad it was for him.

Ruff Wear has really good jackets if you want to check them out. We've had the boys jackets shown above for the last 9 years and they're in outstanding shape still. I'd get one of there's again for Wilson but thought I'd look around for one's designed for top heavy headed dogs. :)

Here he is a day after after being on the boat at the campsite (sorry if I'm getting off topic). He just plopped himself in the chair, lol.
Orion1 9-09.jpg

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
I need to know what brand/size for bullies!!! I bought an xlarge on the internet -- using the measurements for it to fit Gia's "girth", but it's like 6 inches too long!!! What kind/size are you all using that fits a bullie?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks Becky on Orion. He loved the lake and that's where he got his spark so to speak - he'd come alive in the water and had the greatest bark when waiting for a stick at the shoreline to be thrown in for him, we'll miss him this year sigh.... I still get teary eyed - he was Ace's litter mate of 12.5 years. So sad it was for him.

Ruff Wear has really good jackets if you want to check them out. We've had the boys jackets shown above for the last 9 years and they're in outstanding shape still. I'd get one of there's again for Wilson but thought I'd look around for one's designed for top heavy headed dogs. :)

Here he is a day after after being on the boat at the campsite (sorry if I'm getting off topic). He just plopped himself in the chair, lol.
View attachment 6814

Wow..Jeanne..I can't believe how much My daughters dog looks like Orion. I will try and get a pic to post tomorrow. Please..never apologize for remembering one of your babies! Also just was thinking we have friends who camp a lot and have a life jacket for their bully?.will see what brand it is.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Your baby was gorgeous! Looks like he just loved the water. :heart:

Delilah has a life jacket..she loves to go riding on the boat. She's not really keen on going in the water, though. We'll put her on the kneeboard though and she'll ride around.

Delilah's jacket is an Outward Hound. I believe it's large, not sure. I'd check but it's on the boat and the boat is in storage.

If it's okay, here's some images showing Delilah in her jacket :)
30098_1484283025266_1179570061_1429208_3315179_n.jpg

30098_1484283105268_1179570061_1429210_3742761_n.jpg

The only problem I've noticed is that bullies are so top heavy, so it's still somewhat hard to keep their head a float. Delilah can't swim at all..I wouldn't let her go in the water without a jacket. Occasionally if she doesn't try to keep her head up it'll kind of fall under with the jacket on.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Lauren, Orion had beautiful brindle markings and definately was gorgeous :). And of course it's ok to post pictures, that's a fantastic photo of Delilah. I love water pictures. I'll check out Outward Hound. Here's another site I found with an interesting concept. crittersinflatable.com

Last edited by a moderator:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We saw some kids swim vests at Menards today that the foam floatation part was triangular with the wide part at the shoulders. I couldn't help but think looking at them that they would make perfect bully vests if the crotch was cut out. slide on over the head like we do HRH's sweaters and such.

We actually bought HRH a flotation vest last year when it was on sale (again at petsmart) Just in case we ever decided to take her down to the lakefront or something like that. We haven't used it yet though.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] that life jacket looks awesome!! Looks like it would support the head really well. I'll have to look into those!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Wow, just looked at the prices..don't think I could afford that!! haha. I'll consider it though.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks Lauren, Orion had beautiful brindle markings and definately was gorgeous :). And of course it's ok to post pictures, that's a fantastic photo of Delilah. I love water pictures. I'll check out Outward Hound. Here's another site I found with an interesting concept. crittersinflateable.com

Wow..these look great! Are pricey but if you buy one will fit while they grow..and I love how it keeps their head up. We have a swimming pool and would like to get him swimming before trips to lake start. Thanks @jeanneco...did check with our friends..they have a ruffwear one and she isn't thrilled with head support for her bully..I will pass this company on to her!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pricey yes, but if used all the time like anything else a lot it end up only being pennies spent. :) Our Ruff Wear jackets have been great and I would buy them again. Well we will be because we just picked up a 15 wk old Am Staff. OMG he's so sweet, makes Wilson looks like a, well BULLY. :up:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

Orion's is the Paw Aboard brand. It's a medium. She hasn't worn it in the water yet. Vegas has with his. He loves the water, but not the vest. He wore it into the river 2 years ago and he ended up going over his head. The vest supported him, but he didn't like the fact he could no longer touch bottom. He managed to get to shore...walked past his dad...and all the way to my truck. He then sat by the door and waited. He was done with swimming.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.