Emergency room

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi there, Crabcake. Good to see he's feeling better but I can imagine crate rest for six weeks must be tough. I see you asked about harnesses above. Castor is small too (appr lbs 41-42) and has the Hurtta padded Y harness which works very well for us. He's had it for several years and it's easy to put on, padded so doesn't irritate the skin, and sturdy enough for a dog that doesn't pull (although I can pull or lift Castor with it!).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update and very happy to hear he is doing so well! Love the plan for after crate and I have not heard of doing a chiropractor but [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] does acupuncture for her Frenchie, Jax. And a few of us do laser therapy.. I am one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
but [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] does acupuncture for her Frenchie, Jax.
Sandy had a bulldog, Trudy, that she swears couldn't walk before getting acupuncture. I know very little about it but, if Sandy says it works...it certainly works.
Please let us know how things go if you try either.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I do acupuncture and laser therapy every 3-4 weeks. Jax just went yesterday and I brought the laser unit home for the week.

As far as chiropractic work goes, I would be very careful with this and only go that route if cleared by a neurologist. Depending on the situation, it could cause more harm.

Changing from a collar to harness, getting stairs, and no ball in the hard floors are all great steps to take. I would definitely look into the acupuncture and laser therapy.

Some other things I do for maintenance is CBD oil, green lipped mussel powder, liquid glucosamine and bone broth. CBD oil and gLM powder is every day, then I rotate with the liquid glucosamine and bone broth.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So glad that Crabcake is doing better. Keep on keepin' on, Crabcake!! We all pray for you!:pray:

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Thank you so much for all the well wishes. I am going to do a lot of research on acupuncture, and also am going to purchase the harness suggested

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Hey guys little update, Crabcake is out of his crate and loving life. He does seem to have slightly less energy than he did before, especially outside, but he seems super happy. I have transitioned him from all day in the crate to only in the crate while I’m working. I also have started him on his Julius k9 harness. This is taking him a little getting used to, sometimes outside he just completely stops and needs a heck of a lot of encouragement to move. With that said I feel bad that I didn’t start him out on the harness because it saves his neck from stress. His vet was super happy with his progress and I pray we don’t have to go through this again.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hey guys little update, Crabcake is out of his crate and loving life. He does seem to have slightly less energy than he did before, especially outside, but he seems super happy. I have transitioned him from all day in the crate to only in the crate while I’m working. I also have started him on his Julius k9 harness. This is taking him a little getting used to, sometimes outside he just completely stops and needs a heck of a lot of encouragement to move. With that said I feel bad that I didn’t start him out on the harness because it saves his neck from stress. His vet was super happy with his progress and I pray we don’t have to go through this again.

Awesome update! Hang in there with the harness, Joey did the same STOP at first too. Don’t feel bad about anything! You’re the best! Obviously caring and loving for Crabcake! Keep the great updates coming!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Don’t blame yourself cause you never used a harness. I don’t use harness anymore unless I travel with them. Bulldogs have a very powerful neck. More than what we think. Sadly what happened to crabcake was meant to be. If a harness confuses him, leave his collar on but don’t use it. He’ll know it’s there and will probably walk with the harness. All in the head. Try it, what do you have to lose... :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yeah... freedom!! He’ll get used to the harness in time... bring treats to entice him

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well i just read this whole thing right now. Im always glad to catch stuff like this on the upside :) Your a great dad and so glad you have shared this stuff as good learning for others as well. He sure is gorgeous lucky pup :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
His vet was super happy with his progress and I pray we don’t have to go through this again.
Excellent! You are very aware of his condition now and will be prepared to take steps to manage it [early on] if he has another flare up.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Excellent! You are very aware of his condition now and will be prepared to take steps to manage it [early on] if he has another flare up.

Honestly that is what scares me, because he went from 0-100 and I never saw the problem coming at all, when he couldn’t walk I was completely shocked. I pray it never happens again, and have tried to make as many improvements for his well being as possible, but you never know what the future is with these crazy guys.

67A82E66-4A8C-4723-B136-7008266DE36B.jpeg773B951B-8D4D-40DD-BAED-2337CA21DFE4.jpeg9D64DCBE-030D-43A8-8C01-E098984E4C25.jpeg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Honestly that is what scares me, because he went from 0-100 and I never saw the problem coming at all, when he couldn’t walk I was completely shocked. I pray it never happens again, and have tried to make as many improvements for his well being as possible, but you never know what the future is with these crazy guys.

View attachment 115923View attachment 115924View attachment 115925

Looking great... such a handsome bully boy!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

View attachment 115923View attachment 115924View attachment 115925

Ohhhh he has such an adorable face!! So glad that he's doing well!!! I try not to think "future" just today, as you said with "these crazy guys" :) Keep posting photos too!!!! Love me some Crabcake!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online