Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attatched to his kennel

Bulldog(s) Names
    Louie
    Likes (Received)

Default Attatched to his kennel

When we first got Louie we decided to potty train him by putting him in a kennel. After he was potty trained we got him a nice dog bed to sleep in. Lately he has been wanting to spend time in his kennel. I leave it in the front porch area and whenever I go out there he follows me and sits in front of his kennel. If I let him in the kennel it takes along time for him to come back out, almost need to push him out of there. Just wondering why he wants back in his kennel so bad?
    ~Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole~

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Attatched to his kennel

It's his special space and how wonderful that he loves it!

I like to think of it like their bedroom - they go in there to relax, to be alone, to sleep, for some down time - just like we do!

This is also pretty common for a bulldog. My Linus LOVES his kennel and I basically need to kick him out in morning and he never wants to sleep in bed!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry so much, he considers it his 'safe place' which is a good thing. In general, dogs go back to their safe places to unwind or just need peace and quiet from what's going on around.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Attatched to his kennel

Wilson just turned 3 months and he loves his xpen that's in the kitchen/family room. I leave the door open whenever we're home and I happen to be home today and he's in there sleeping right now. He always heads in there to sleep in his bed. I'm glad he has 'his' spot. I'm not sure how long the xpen will be up (5-6 months?) before we gate him to the kitchen area only when we're gone.

He has a closed in large crate in our room but funny thing is he's rather sleep in the large dog beds up there (probably to be closer to our other dog I'm sure). When I wake him up in the morning he's in NO RUSH to come out of the crate though.

Dogs need that special place.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

All 6 of my Bulldogs have loved their crates; we call them their houses.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas is the same, when we first got him he was in his kennel locked until the potty training was complete and the chewing stopped. For the last year he has the luxury of NOT having it locked the door is wide open all the time and he goes in and out on his own free will, he LOVES his crate, I think like the others have said it is "his space" he has his pillow and all his stuffies in there and hangs in there alot. It is in my dining room and he can see us in the living room. It is also his safe place like when I am mopping or running the sweeper.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

Yup all this is true. It's their safe place. Both spike & sparkles love their crates. They sleep in them all night. Spike goes in there when he doesn't want his sister to bother him. Lol. They also know that when they see a broom
    Or a mop they go in there. Lol.
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ha! I have to literally drag Jake out of his crate in the morning..he has a comfy bed in it and he goes to bed before anyone! We had him in a small crate that we could easily move around when he first came home. We kept that wherever we were in the house..pretty much. A couple weeks ago we set up the old rottie crate with a partition..and we keep that in our room. He will just disappear and go into his crate.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SJQuirk View Post
    ..If I let him in the kennel it takes along time for him to come back out, almost need to push him out of there. Just wondering why he wants back in his kennel so bad?
    Crate training is one of the BEST options that I encourage everyone to do. Once a dog has been crate trained, this becomes their safe home. The dog knows this is a safe place to be and does not have to be on guard. Having the option for you Bullie is great and lets him pick. It's HIS "man-cave"!
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

As everyone else basically said...It's their safe haven...We came back after vacation one Summer. And didn't feel like setting up the crate. So we decided...Tank was house trained...He didn't really need that ol' crate any more. WELL...he sulked...refused to eat...and would sit in the same spot where we also stuck a dog bed...and CRY for his crate. When we decided he "needed" his crate...we set it back up. And he was so happy and did his bullie butt dance while it was being put together.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's perfectly normal for them to need their comfort zone in the shape of their crates.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Attatched to his kennel

oh god my rambo really does like his crate. we got it to put him in there when were gone, since him and my boston terrier like to play tug o war with everything other than their toys haha and one day i was watching a movie, had a bowl of popcorn and in rambo goes into his crate to sit and stare at my bowl of popcorn haha i think that was his way to cure the temptation haha
    sorry the picture is sideways lol

Real Name
    Mike Blaylock
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
    Likes (Received)

Weeeeeeeeeell, the only use for a crate is transportation. What I can't understand.........why don't you just put the crate up in the attic ......garage......or garden shed?
    It's not hard to make people love you.......all you got to do is become a bulldog!
    (MJ Blaylock)
    THE END!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...gpic1645_3.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads