Attatched to his kennel

SJQuirk

Dec 21, 2010
South Dakota
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
When we first got Louie we decided to potty train him by putting him in a kennel. After he was potty trained we got him a nice dog bed to sleep in. Lately he has been wanting to spend time in his kennel. I leave it in the front porch area and whenever I go out there he follows me and sits in front of his kennel. If I let him in the kennel it takes along time for him to come back out, almost need to push him out of there. Just wondering why he wants back in his kennel so bad?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It's his special space and how wonderful that he loves it!

I like to think of it like their bedroom - they go in there to relax, to be alone, to sleep, for some down time - just like we do!

This is also pretty common for a bulldog. My Linus LOVES his kennel and I basically need to kick him out in morning and he never wants to sleep in bed!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I wouldn't worry so much, he considers it his 'safe place' which is a good thing. In general, dogs go back to their safe places to unwind or just need peace and quiet from what's going on around.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson just turned 3 months and he loves his xpen that's in the kitchen/family room. I leave the door open whenever we're home and I happen to be home today and he's in there sleeping right now. He always heads in there to sleep in his bed. I'm glad he has 'his' spot. I'm not sure how long the xpen will be up (5-6 months?) before we gate him to the kitchen area only when we're gone.

He has a closed in large crate in our room but funny thing is he's rather sleep in the large dog beds up there (probably to be closer to our other dog I'm sure). When I wake him up in the morning he's in NO RUSH to come out of the crate though.

Dogs need that special place. :up::up:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is the same, when we first got him he was in his kennel locked until the potty training was complete and the chewing stopped. For the last year he has the luxury of NOT having it locked the door is wide open all the time and he goes in and out on his own free will, he LOVES his crate, I think like the others have said it is "his space" he has his pillow and all his stuffies in there and hangs in there alot. It is in my dining room and he can see us in the living room. It is also his safe place like when I am mopping or running the sweeper.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Yup all this is true. It's their safe place. Both spike & sparkles love their crates. They sleep in them all night. Spike goes in there when he doesn't want his sister to bother him. Lol. They also know that when they see a broom
Or a mop they go in there. Lol.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ha! I have to literally drag Jake out of his crate in the morning..he has a comfy bed in it and he goes to bed before anyone! We had him in a small crate that we could easily move around when he first came home. We kept that wherever we were in the house..pretty much. A couple weeks ago we set up the old rottie crate with a partition..and we keep that in our room. He will just disappear and go into his crate.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
..If I let him in the kennel it takes along time for him to come back out, almost need to push him out of there. Just wondering why he wants back in his kennel so bad?

Crate training is one of the BEST options that I encourage everyone to do. Once a dog has been crate trained, this becomes their safe home. The dog knows this is a safe place to be and does not have to be on guard. Having the option for you Bullie is great and lets him pick. It's HIS "man-cave"!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
As everyone else basically said...It's their safe haven...We came back after vacation one Summer. And didn't feel like setting up the crate. So we decided...Tank was house trained...He didn't really need that ol' crate any more. WELL...he sulked...refused to eat...and would sit in the same spot where we also stuck a dog bed...and CRY for his crate. When we decided he "needed" his crate...we set it back up. And he was so happy and did his bullie butt dance while it was being put together.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's perfectly normal for them to need their comfort zone in the shape of their crates.

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
oh god my rambo really does like his crate. we got it to put him in there when were gone, since him and my boston terrier like to play tug o war with everything other than their toys haha and one day i was watching a movie, had a bowl of popcorn and in rambo goes into his crate to sit and stare at my bowl of popcorn haha i think that was his way to cure the temptation haha
sorry the picture is sideways lol:lol:
get-attachment.aspx

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell, the only use for a crate is transportation. What I can't understand.........why don't you just put the crate up in the attic ......garage......or garden shed?

mamamia

Apr 5, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki (EB) and Big Mac (OEB)
I have not had a puppy in 14 years. My 3 dogs were all rescues and potty trained. So 4 weeks ago we got Snooki and I absolutely love working with the crate. The potty training and feeding is perfect in the crate. If I need to vacuum I can lock her up and she just takes a nap. I take Snooki and Big Mac to the office every day and I borrowed and old air-crate from a friend. The door is always open and she just loves to sleep in it.

I am a huge fan of the crate and am sure that we will keep on using it in the future. Snooki seems to love it as well.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It's great that he likes his crate! Like everyone else said, it's his little safe haven. It's "his" space.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.