KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
https://youtu.be/oE-GgVSBwBI

This is tricky. Every day, twice a day, our friends/neighbors walk Ollie, age 18months and their EBD, Bigly, age 1 year. Ollie and Bigly have played together since Bigs was 3 months old.

Bigs is a wild child. His parents walk him with Ollie because he wonā€™t walk for them when heā€™s alone. They had an invisible fence installed and Bigs couldnā€™t be trained for it because he refused to walk. Heā€™s had the bulldog trainer/breeder a few times. She said heā€™s the most stubborn bulldog sheā€™s ever encountered. They had Ollie over when she was there. She told them that Ollie is the rare dog that can deal with Bigs because Ollie is so laid back and mellow.

Ok
Hereā€™s the sticky wicket. When they come to my house to get Ollie for a walk, the dogs play/wrestle for 20 mins or so to try to get Bigs calmed down enough to walk. Ollie is neutered and was done at 5 months. Bigly is NOT neutered and is waiting for the magic 18months. When the dogs wrestle, they never get aggressive and really are like 2 Sumo wrestlers. Ollie is 6 months older and slightly bigger than Bigs. Ollie is built more athletically and Bigs is shorter and more stout. Ollie does a lot of maneuvers like bulldozing Bigs, sitting on top of Bigs etc. typical bulldog moves. They never run or anything, just wrestle, snort and slobber. The downside is that when Bigly can get the upper hand. He humps the hell out of poor Ollie. He had huge jewels at the back and Ahem...he has an incredibly huge lipstick. Itā€™s really impressive when itā€™s out of the case which it always is when heā€™s on top and he pokes that thing at Ollie like a stealth missle headed for Moscow. I donā€™t know what to do. I actually feel sorry for Ollie. Bigs parents are pretty ineffective with discipline. Iā€™d discipline him (have them leave the leash on his harness) and yank him off Ollie with a loud ā€œNo!ā€ I donā€™t want to offend them, but I really am feeling bad for Ollie. After the dogs wrestle and Bigs gets his jollies off the go for a walk together. Ollie has lost weight on these walks and he loves wrestling with Bigs. He doesnā€™t seem to mind the pseudo sexual antics, but I worry as Bigs will get older and bigger.

I really need some advice here on how to handle this. Thanks

PS the video of them is AFTER a walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
First of all youā€™re doing them the favour. Yes put that leash on and yank Bigly if humping starts. Owners should understand Ollie is there to calm Big for the walks not get humped the daylights out of him. Eventually Ollie will get fed up n it might turned into a nasty fight. Use the leash n yes, do use the NO with a yank of the leash. Big will understand the difference with playing is ok but humping Iā€™ll get crap n yanked.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ask them if they would mind using electric collar on Bigs. The problem with humping is that dog doesnā€™t have real conscious control over this, itā€™s more about instinct, so usually just NO isnā€™t enough. My Tank is usually a coward which is growled at, and he never growled or snapped in return, but one sweet neighbors bulldog doesnā€™t growl at him and treats him like a friend. And what does Tank do? Humps. He never humps anything or anybody else. Only his friendly buddy. So when we go for a play date, I put on electric collar on him, set for the low level BZZ. It scares hell out of him and stops humping. Nothing else helped.
It doesnā€™t hurt, I tried on my own neck.
And humping must be stopped, if they donā€™t plan mating him, they wonā€™t be happy themselves if they wonā€™t stop it now. Itā€™s an unsightly behaviour.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So both Louie and Jax are neutered. Whenever the two of them wrestle and play, Jax who is much smaller, always starts humping Louie and sometimes the red rocket comes out. Itā€™s a dominance thing and I stop it immediately. Normally all I have to do is yell Jax NO and it stops. If not, the squirt bottle comes out.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'll preface this answer with, "It will probably get worse before it gets better."
It's both(Dominance & Testosterone) and it's probably peaking right now...hormones are raging with that 1 year old and probably will be for another 2 years. Agree with Lala that he's got little control over this. The burden of correction should fall squarely on his owners, not you. If they don't step up then you'll have to take on the awkward/uncomfortable task of asking them to step up and correct him...or you continue to correct him. You correcting him will likely have to escalate as he escalates his dominance. Hopefully, the hormones will level off soon and he can begin to settle...some do, some don't. The problem is, he's likely not being corrected at home.
Difficult situation here as I know you want for the two guys to continue to be friendly and spend time together, but you also do not want to throw a spanner in the human relationship.
If it were my situation, I'd get a water bottle(as previously suggested) and use it on him and tell the owners that I intend to do this in lieu of yanking his lead and barking, yelling "No" at him. See where that gets you. Water bottles work on most dogs but not all. Some will go after it if they see it...so be discreet, sneaky even, in regards to delivering the squirt. BTW, forget about the spray setting, use only the stream setting.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Try the bottle water might work for you but.... in all my cases water never worked. I always had dogs loving water lol...not one did not just stared at me wagged their tails. See what gives you never know.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Try the bottle water might work for you but.... in all my cases water never worked. I always had dogs loving water lol...not one did not just stared at me wagged their tails. See what gives you never know.

I donā€™t have water in mine...started with vinegar but at the suggestion of the trainer, switched to 151 rum. Aim for the mouth.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m sitting here with my mouth open, you can start squirting rum:w00t:!

Iā€™m waiting for the day when Louie decides he likes it lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I donā€™t have water in mine...started with vinegar but at the suggestion of the trainer, switched to 151 rum. Aim for the mouth.

Lollll. Love your trainer!!!

Vinegar...ehhhhhh I would worry about the eyes. Seriously, water just never worked for my dogs...crap, most of them would grab the hose n play or snap at the water while Iā€™m aiming at them, or jump in the air to get wet.....they all loved it.. a little yank n a no always worked for me... but I must admit, need to try the 151 rum and aim my own mouth....hahaha

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Thank you everyone for your advice and support. We are all on the same page. Today Bigly wasnā€™t quite as bad. They wrestled for 15-20 mins pre-walk and then 15 mins or so post walk. Bigly didnā€™t get much chance to be on top. Ollie seems oblivious to the whole thing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So both Louie and Jax are neutered. Whenever the two of them wrestle and play, Jax who is much smaller, always starts humping Louie and sometimes the red rocket comes out. Itā€™s a dominance thing and I stop it immediately. Normally all I have to do is yell Jax NO and it stops. If not, the squirt bottle comes out.

Same with my two... I yell ā€œOFFā€ and they stop and resume play

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online