Angusbeef

Nov 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I'm the owner of a 1 yr old male English bulldog named Angus. When we get him we quickly knew that kibble didn't sit with him well (even the higher end brands).

Since then we've experimented with meats, cooked and raw, rice, veggies, and supplements. He occasionally has peanut butter, coconut oil, banana, etc. Overall he eats nearly 4-5 cups a food per day.

He weighs 35-36lbs. He's a little more slender than other bulldogs, so I naturally just think he's going to be lean. It's easy to overthink it and question the weight when other English bulldogs are 50ish pounds at the same age.

Attached are two photos. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and opinions. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20180914_194710.jpg
    20180914_194710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot_20181128-211936_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20181128-211936_Instagram.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 310

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
He's a lean and tall specimen and looks good from the pics...reminds me a bit of Helene's Nyala. I bet he can run really fast.
Good rule of thumb...
1. Can you see his ribs? If so, then he's too thin. If not, go to question 2.
2. Can you easily feel his ribs? If so then he's just right. If not, go to question 3.
3. Is there a well-defined dip at his waistline whilst looking from above. If so he's on the heavy side of just right. If no, then he's too heavy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
35 pounds does seem low for a 1 year old but it’s hard to tell from these pictures. Can you post pictures of him from the side standing up and looking down on him so we can see his waist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Willow is tiny... 35-38 pounds and she's 3 years old. Honestly you have to base it on their frame size... Willow is compact, but a smaller sized bulldog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also, keep in mind... they grow up the first year and out the second year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I think Angus looks fine but I'm used to slim Castor who is five and lbs 40-42. He was lbs 35 when he was eight months, so slightly younger than Angus. As others have said they grow up the first year and then out.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Angus is a cutie! I have no advice as I am new to being a bulldog owner (Bella is my first but surely not my last!)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm the owner of a 1 yr old male English bulldog named Angus. When we get him we quickly knew that kibble didn't sit with him well (even the higher end brands).

Since then we've experimented with meats, cooked and raw, rice, veggies, and supplements. He occasionally has peanut butter, coconut oil, banana, etc. Overall he eats nearly 4-5 cups a food per day.

He weighs 35-36lbs. He's a little more slender than other bulldogs, so I naturally just think he's going to be lean. It's easy to overthink it and question the weight when other English bulldogs are 50ish pounds at the same age.

Attached are two photos. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and opinions. Thank you!

Yup like Chip said and with great advice, my Nyala was like yours. I wouldn’t worry about it. Nyala was about the same weight. She’s a Bantam Bulldog so she is a tad taller n smaller face. She’s now 3yrs old n weighs 50lbs. She’s been 50lbs for almost a year. She does look odd right now as her head is smaller than her chest. Out of balance. But she’ll fit into her new body next few months. Duke my white face is an EB but shorter. He’s also 50lbs. He still has his slim waistline and he’s 22months old. Both extremely fast n fit dogs. So basically don’t worry n follow [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] ‘s rule of thumb. If yours is very active like mine and you see slightly the last rib, that’s ok too.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke my white face is an EB but shorter. He’s also 50lbs. He still has his slim waistline and he’s 22months old.
You forgot to mention that Duke is a 1-Dog Demolition Crew

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I personally think he looks great, My Ellie was on the small and slim side her 1st year to 1.5 years, and has filled out since then.

She is currently ABOUT 50lbs, and FAVORITE vet said she could loose a couple vanity LBS :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] has got you covered!! :) No WorriesEllie 9-12-18.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You forgot to mention that Duke is a 1-Dog Demolition Crew

I swear this dog keeps me on my feet...it’s like talking to a terrible 2 toddler. Duke don’t do that, Duke stop that, Duke leave her alone, Duke get down, Duke get over there...n on, n on, n on...worse part, if I stand in front of him hands on my hips and he sits n stays like a good boy with ants in his pant...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I swear this dog keeps me on my feet...it’s like talking to a terrible 2 toddler. Duke don’t do that, Duke stop that, Duke leave her alone, Duke get down, Duke get over there...n on, n on, n on...worse part, if I stand in front of him hands on my hips and he sits n stays like a good boy with ants in his pant...

You have a typo here...replace Duke with Louie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online