Adding a third english bulldog?

cswope

Nov 16, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bailey
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and have a question. I currently have two english bulldogs. A male 8 months old and female 7 months old. I was thinking about getting another english bulldog, possibly female. Is adding a third bulldog to many, and will they all get along? Does anyone own three bulldogs? What are your experiences? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
In my opinion, a third bulldog would be too many if you don't have the time or the money to take care of one. I have a bulldog plus a French Bulldog and I always think I want a third one but I know it would not be ideal for me.

As far as getting along, I don't think you can guarantee whether they will get along. I know sometimes having 2 females can be an issue. Your two are both young enough that adding in another now might be the best time. I added in Louie when Jax was 4 and Jax probably tolerates Louie and probably would have been fine being an only dog.

More people will chime in as some have 2 and some have more than 2.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and have a question. I currently have two english bulldogs. A male 8 months old and female 7 months old. I was thinking about getting another english bulldog, possibly female. Is adding a third bulldog to many, and will they all get along? Does anyone own three bulldogs? What are your experiences? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

Basically it has nothing to do with how many you have but like mentioned if ā€œyouā€ can control 3. Yours are still young they will grow together but there will be so alpha issues for sure. One of my son has 2 pits n 1 GS. The GS is 18months old like my white face Duke. They came over last week n we noticed his GS is starting to be alpha with Duke growling n kept standing on top of Duke. Mick the GS sure got his as* pushed to the corner...All females but him n Duke. Duke is more on the chicken side and wouldnā€™t fight. Now itā€™s going to be a ā€œsupervisionā€ when they are all together.

OP
cswope

cswope

Nov 16, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bailey
In my opinion, a third bulldog would be too many if you don't have the time or the money to take care of one. I have a bulldog plus a French Bulldog and I always think I want a third one but I know it would not be ideal for me.

As far as getting along, I don't think you can guarantee whether they will get along. I know sometimes having 2 females can be an issue. Your two are both young enough that adding in another now might be the best time. I added in Louie when Jax was 4 and Jax probably tolerates Louie and probably would have been fine being an only dog.

More people will chime in as some have 2 and some have more than 2.

I work from home, so they would have a lot of my attention. I was told it would be better to add a female vs male. That the two female would get along better than two males. Thanks for your feedback!

OP
cswope

cswope

Nov 16, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bailey
The two I have get along really good. I was wondering if adding a third one would disrupt the harmony?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Be advised, adding a third will change the current family dynamic and will require more management from you...how much more is anyone's guess. Having had two, three, four, five, and as many as 9 in the home at one time I can say without question that the jump from 2 to 3 is the biggest change one can make...three times as big as going from 1 to 2. If you can manage/handle 3, you can do 5+. This will be a test for you. The good thing is that they are young. I highly recommend:
altering all of them as soon as they come of age.
kenneling all of them
feeding them in their kennels
vigorous training for you, dogs too
walking them together...lots of exercise

*and other stuff other members will offer

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Two females can be a recipe for disaster. Of course, not always. BUT, if they do fight, the fights are vicious and they do not give up. We had two female dogs, a Greyhound and an American Bulldog, and I will never do it again. The fights were horrendous and we had to rehome one in the end. It broke our hearts but the AB would have killed the greyhound if we hadn't, she was no match for that powerful AB and the AB had been around the 4 year old greyhound since she 8 weeks old. Everything was great until she turned two, then she wanted to be Alpha. I have never had a problem with males.
I have considered getting another bulldog but my two dogs get on so well, I don't want to upset the applecart.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...but my two dogs get on so well, I don't want to upset the applecart.
Sometimes this is the best choice...but no way to find out unless another dog is introduced to the family. The smart player that decides to move forward with the third dog would have in place a back-up plan in case things go south.
One never knows how things will turn out. We have 4 females in our home right now, ages 10, 7, 3, and 1. They all get along...but it only takes 1 to change all that.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I started out with 1 corgi - inherited from my son, then I chose a small mixed breed from a friend at work, then I inherited Punk - bullie - from my son (again). They were all females. Punk and Lilly (corgi) would always try to be the alpha girl - had to spray them with water to break them up. Missy the mixed would just hide - they both picked on her. Had to chastise them for that. Then Lilly got cancer and died. Punk in alpha heaven then - had to show her I was still boss. LOL Punk still picked on Missy, but not as much. Then met Mickey - boy bullie, fell in love and adopted him. Missy just tolerated him. Punk would lick his ears all the time - he just tolerated her. Then Mickey got cancer and died along with most of my heart. I just have Punk and Missy now and that is all I can handle. I am a widow living by myself. Punk is 9 years and 5 months (going on 1) now and Missy is the same age as well. I am 61 and whichever one passes first I will not be getting another - too hard on me - I get way too attached to my babies.

Now to your question of adding another, that would depend on you and your state of mind. You will be the one controlling any situation that arises. Your babies will look to you for guidance in the pecking order and you have to be strong to do that.

The EBN family you have here are the best bullie family you could ask for. They are here at any time to help with any situation that comes. Just know whatever decision you make - you are in good hands here.

:yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Be advised, adding a third will change the current family dynamic and will require more management from you...how much more is anyone's guess. Having had two, three, four, five, and as many as 9 in the home at one time I can say without question that the jump from 2 to 3 is the biggest change one can make...three times as big as going from 1 to 2. If you can manage/handle 3, you can do 5+. This will be a test for you. The good thing is that they are young. I highly recommend:
altering all of them as soon as they come of age.
kenneling all of them
feeding them in their kennels
vigorous training for you, dogs too
walking them together...lots of exercise

*and other stuff other members will offer

Totally agree!

Two females together can be very difficult once the come of age.... as others have said it will all be dependent on the humans being in sync with training and keeping the process/rules consistent.

OP
cswope

cswope

Nov 16, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bailey
Totally agree!

Two females together can be very difficult once the come of age.... as others have said it will all be dependent on the humans being in sync with training and keeping the process/rules consistent.

I originally wanted another male, but the breeder I spoke with said not to do two males and one female because the males would fight. She recommended getting another female. I feel more confused now and will probably just hold off on getting another one. Thanks for your advice! :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I originally wanted another male, but the breeder I spoke with said not to do two males and one female because the males would fight. She recommended getting another female. I feel more confused now and will probably just hold off on getting another one. Thanks for your advice! :)

Hard eh? My sonā€™s are 2 females n his GS male. Like I said Mick (GS) is getting very protective of his girls. Why heā€™s all over my little Duke. Boils down to you. I also work from home n have 2 but trust me I wouldnā€™t get 3 in my case. 2 is enough for me... mind you I recall saying Iā€™ll never get 2... :D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I have 2 males and theyā€™re fine. There have been a couple little quarrels but that can happen with any sec when you have more than dog. Iā€™ve heard more stories about females than males. With either sex, the key is to make sure they know that YOU are Alpha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cswope

cswope

Nov 16, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bailey
Thank you for your feedback! I spoke with my Vet today and she also said to get a male. She said English bulldog females tend to be more dominant.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your feedback! I spoke with my Vet today and she also said to get a male. She said English bulldog females tend to be more dominant.

Ohhhh my brindle Nyala when she wants to push her weigh on Duke which both are 50lbs, trust me sheā€™ll toss the poor thing. Even thought her mouth is smaller than Dukeā€™s sheā€™ll pick him up. Duke always has at least one new puncture weekly on his face.... she doesnā€™t do this if Iā€™m around, sheā€™s sneaky and waits till both are playing in the backyard. Like mentioned, you really need to show whoā€™s the boss. I put her to her place immediately and the stink eye she gives me says it all... I can read right through her what sheā€™s probably calling ā€œmeā€ as names...:yes:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online