First time owner questions

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Morning all, Iā€™ve been doing a lot of reading on here ready for our little beauty coming home soon and have a few questions.
Iā€™ve been looking through the food advisor list and many donā€™t seem available easily in the uk. Iā€™ve found a source for taste of the wild so will try this first. Or anything else thatā€™s good and easy to get in the uk you recommend? And also plan on doing some home cooking for him.
Iā€™ve read about toys etc that arenā€™t suitable so will be stopping getting these for my other dog.
Also read about the benefits of acv, coconut oil and plain yoghurt. We have these in the house all the time anyway. Shall I give these from the start or should I wait until a certain age to introduce them?

And any other advice you think I might need and may have missed will be much appreciated.
Thanks
55FD710B-1CE2-42AE-85EC-F57A554598D8.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some members that may be able to help you with the UK food choices... IMO I would wait on the food additions until he gets fully adjusted to his new food. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see pics of your new baby!!!

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thankyou Iā€™ll introduce the new food then over time add in the extras and see how he goes one at a time

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! You baby is gorgeous.

Taste of wild is a good choice a few here have great results... UK food one i can think of is James Well Beloved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome to EBN! You baby is gorgeous.

Taste of wild is a good choice a few here have great results... UK food one i can think of is James Well Beloved

Thanks Iā€™ll have a look for that one

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Another thing I wanted to ask, heā€™s having jabs etc at 8 weeks a few days before we collect him. When is it ok to start with short walks and going for a ride in the van

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What a cute pup! James Wellbeloved which was mentioned above is good. Castor really liked it but we had to change since they no longer export to Sweden for some reason. I would wait with any supplements until you know whether he needs them. Try a good puppy kibble and see how things go.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Another thing I wanted to ask, heā€™s having jabs etc at 8 weeks a few days before we collect him. When is it ok to start with short walks and going for a ride in the van

I don't understand the "jabs" reference, but you can start walking him and doing car rides right away. Though they are usually pretty hard to get walking at that age ;) I'd just be careful with steps at first.

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
I don't understand the "jabs" reference, but you can start walking him and doing car rides right away. Though they are usually pretty hard to get walking at that age ;) I'd just be careful with steps at first.

Shots, I think?

I started taking Smash on rides as soon as we got him. I think around 16 weeks I started getting him out on his harness and leash to try walking. Keep in mind, theyā€™re a stubborn breed so patience is key. Lol

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yes injections sorry. Iā€™ll get him out and about in the van and Iā€™ve read they are stubborn little buggers at times so Iā€™ll see how it goes

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Is Harringtonā€™s a good dry food? Iā€™ve seen it locally available and reads good but isnā€™t on the list on here

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Is Harringtonā€™s a good dry food? Iā€™ve seen it locally available and reads good but isnā€™t on the list on here

Cold pressed looks to be a bit healthier than regular extruded dry dog food. 5 kg of Primal Puppy turkey is 30.99 pounds https://www.tribalpetfoods.co.uk/shop/cold-pressed-dog-food?sid=evob91h3qcqls86mrbto7l8394

Dehydrated raw dog food looks to be more pricey, eg. Pure Duck Delight is 59.99 pounds for 4 kg https://purepetfood.co.uk/collections/complete-recipes-dogs/products/duck-delight?variant=7330177876027

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Been into pets at home today and they had an offer on James Wellbeloved so got 2 bags of that and Some grain free training treats.

OP
D

Danbillam

Oct 27, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
FF4C8C1B-0F6B-40E8-9628-912523877A41.jpegF81E486C-39DC-4D0E-9CB7-897291855930.jpeg01B9281A-24E7-4F82-89B1-4430656BF994.jpeg
We went to visit our little one today and heā€™s growing nicely, canā€™t wait to get him home now.
How much food shall we give him? I notice a lot of you guys measure in cups rather than grams. I read about 3/4 cup 3x a day but this is a lot more than it says on the James Wellbeloved bag. What shall we go with to start? Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 114453View attachment 114452View attachment 114451
We went to visit our little one today and heā€™s growing nicely, canā€™t wait to get him home now.
How much food shall we give him? I notice a lot of you guys measure in cups rather than grams. I read about 3/4 cup 3x a day but this is a lot more than it says on the James Wellbeloved bag. What shall we go with to start? Thanks

This article has a great guideline fir feeding and hopefully you can easy covert to grams

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.