Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
All - I would like your thoughts and recommendations, please. My bully became 8 months old yesterday. We have been together for 3 months, and my home smells like a kennel. Confirmed by a visitor, *cue tears. The carpets and rugs have been cleaned; vacuum daily; diffusers, sprays, mopping, linen; wrinkle folds cleaned daily; "parts" and paws cleaned after each potty. Blah, blah..... Transition to wood flooring will help lots, got it. His diet is mostly salmon. ACV, coconut oil, and Herbsmith added to his food. [Thanks Y'all]. His strong dog odor disappeared or so I thought. He found his way into my bed last 2 nights. One whiff of the linen and I almost died. Aha moment - He is greasy within 2-3 of days of a bath. Salmon drool, yuck.

TMI? Anyway, some bath monthly, biweekly, weekly. What does one do for a greasy dog with salmon drool?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You could first try changing to a different protein and dropping(reducing) the coconut oil. Finley's coat is just oily/greasy. Not a whole lot can be done. Our Zoey is also greasy and we bathe her about once every month or so. Three to 4 days after a bath she's greasy again...and we bathe her with Dawn dishwashing liquid. It removes all the grease and rinses very cleanly. Give it a try.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well well,,,, at least he (you) gave us some fun reading :) And sorry, i have no answers for ya. Well, Except mabie an after bath acv rinse... and well mabie??? he's getting too much fish in his diet? I'd hate to switch it up though if he does well on it but i would think that fish could seep out of those poors? . It *seems* that i remember that when hank was under a year he had more 'smells' of dog than he does now. And even according to my drop by kids, they say so as well that his smell is nothing to what he was as a younger fella so mabie he'll grow out of it. be fun to see the little stink though ;)

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ollie eats Zignature Salmon and heā€™s not the least bit greasy ,no fish breath, never any gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Both mine eat the same thing. Duke smells n Nyala doesnā€™t. Duke has more fold n I know these folds needs to be cleaned n DRY very well or man can you smell it. If I donā€™t wash their beddings every 3 days their living area smells horrible. I do use diffusers and I do add tea tree to any mix as it will kill airborne pathogens. But the best thing that helps is I spray them with essential oils thatā€™s diluted in a carrier oil. And yes I do add tea tree in it. I use to bath them monthly basis but the skin gets dry and they flake so I stopped that. Like Chip mentioned, back off the coconut oil cause youā€™re already feeding fish. Youā€™re over oiling your dog. I personally never over supplement my dogs or myself as if your dogs eats well, they donā€™t need all the extras on daily basis. Both mine eat raw, fresh veggies, fruits, tripe, herring, sauerkraut n sometimes Lamb Acana. CO is once every other week. Also, I never have dogs in my bed. :no:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How often do you wash your doggy? I wash my Tank (he isnā€™t fixed, which makes males more smelly) once a week with ketoconazol and Chlorhexidine shampoo, and sometimes he gets additional paw wash in between, because his paws are smelly. Body isnā€™t smelly at all if I wash him weekly. His bed is washed every week. Area carpet we have on the hardwood floor needs washing every 6 to 8 weeks, because it smells with his paws, I drag it outside and wash with garden hose and some detergent and dry it in the sunny weather. I cannot imagine carpets throughout the house, this will inevitably turn smelly with the dog. And we donā€™t let him into bed or on furniture, as this is not good for pack hierarchy, he mustnā€™t be on the same level with humans. But when dogs get warm in sleep I feel like their paws smell even more! So this can be the reason that your bed smelled after he was there.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Hmmmm..... I canā€™t remember the last Bella had a bath! I am thinking it was summertime and she had the hair around her face looking like a moth had gotten to her. No redness on her skin at all just the missing hair. Someone said maybe it was Tysonā€™s playing with her and mouthing her on her face anc neck. Never knew for sure. I bathed her with some kind of shampoo with the word silver in it (canā€™t think of it now) only did it a few times tops.
But she has never had an odor and her fur is a soft as velvet too! (Friends have commented on her smell and her softness) and very rarely has gas (but when she does look out!) lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hmmmm..... I canā€™t remember the last Bella had a bath! I am thinking it was summertime and she had the hair around her face looking like a moth had gotten to her. No redness on her skin at all just the missing hair. Someone said maybe it was Tysonā€™s playing with her and mouthing her on her face anc neck. Never knew for sure. I bathed her with some kind of shampoo with the word silver in it (canā€™t think of it now) only did it a few times tops.
But she has never had an odor and her fur is a soft as velvet too! (Friends have commented on her smell and her softness) and very rarely has gas (but when she does look out!) lol

She lives in the pool loll I want that life!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with all above, except that coconut oil is supposed to help a bit with smells so it may make smell worse if you decrease it. My dog smells too, and has greasy coat, and I think it's related to allergies since she has some food and environmental allergies. I don't try to keep her smelling good, just wash her once every 2 months just before I put on an application of tick and flea repellant. I do wipe her paws after every time she goes outside, but that's for allergies and because she walks in an area frequented by a lot of dogs. Her smell hasn't gotten any better since I switched to frozen raw.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
I love my little stinker. Figured the greasy coat is his thing and I simply have to deal. He is doing great on his diet. Therefore, reluctant to change it. The body wipes look clean after use; indicating they arenā€™t really cleaning. Bath water is always dirty. I try adding ACV to his daily wipe down. Currently, he is bathed bi-weekly. Iā€™ll increase that to weekly and back off if his skin appears dry. I appreciate everyoneā€™s input.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My dog's ears have been pretty stinky lately even though she's not scratching at them any more than usual, so am going to try spraying them with some colloidal silver I made with my home silver generator. I think she must have allergies to leaf mould, since there's a lot of leaves on the ground.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
My dog's ears have been pretty stinky lately even though she's not scratching at them any more than usual, so am going to try spraying them with some colloidal silver I made with my home silver generator. I think she must have allergies to leaf mould, since there's a lot of leaves on the ground.

Home silver generator?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Home silver generator?

I bought 2x 9V batteries, 2x 0.9999 pure silver coins from a coin dealer, 4 alligator clips,an aquarium bubbler, 1 gallon of distilled water and let it run overnight in a glass vase. https://www.quantumbalancing.com/makeyourowncs.htm

I put in the colloidal silver in a 4oz spray bottle with 7 drops lavender oil, 7 drops basil oil and 5 drops germanium oil ( the oils should be in clear coconut oil as a vehicle but I'm trying it in the silver water to see if it will help with any yeast ) ... Her ears are still smelly after using it for 24 hr, let's hope it works after a few days.
colloidal.silver (2).jpg

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.