Need some help

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Hey guys was up heā€™s finally here but Iā€™m have some trouble getting him to walk on the lease he just refuses to walk while on the leash but when I take the lease off he walks just fine and follows me with out any problem what should I do ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tawnys mom

Sep 11, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tawny
It will take a little time to get him to walk well on a leash. Best way is to have a treat he loves (you will have to figure that out lol) and put the leash on then coax him to walk by holding the treat in front of him. He is just young yet so you wonā€™t really be going for walks yet Iā€™m sure. The leash at this point would be more so he doesnā€™t see something and go after it if you donā€™t have a fenced yard.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
It will take a little time to get him to walk well on a leash. Best way is to have a treat he loves (you will have to figure that out lol) and put the leash on then coax him to walk by holding the treat in front of him. He is just young yet so you wonā€™t really be going for walks yet Iā€™m sure. The leash at this point would be more so he doesnā€™t see something and go after it if you donā€™t have a fenced yard.

Unfortunately no we love in an apartment

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Try a harness instead of a leash. My corgi, Lilly, was the same way. She would go ballistic with a leash, but accepted the harness with no problems.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Try a harness instead of a leash. My corgi, Lilly, was the same way. She would go ballistic with a leash, but accepted the harness with no problems.

I was thinking that to but wonā€™t he pull more with a harness

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
No, for some reason it mollified Lilly. I think the feeling of being surrounded with the harness is comforting, plus it doesn't pull from the neck.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
IT's very tough to get a puppy to walk on a leash. My Boris was more of an anchor than a dog when I first got him. I walked him without a leash for the first couple weeks cause he was slow and would follow me everywhere. If you look into getting a harness make sure you get one that clips in front of their chest. That way if he pulls it forces him to turn around and will reduce the urge to pull you around like traditional back clip harnesses.

Super cute pup you got there :)

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
IT's very tough to get a puppy to walk on a leash. My Boris was more of an anchor than a dog when I first got him. I walked him without a leash for the first couple weeks cause he was slow and would follow me everywhere. If you look into getting a harness make sure you get one that clips in front of their chest. That way if he pulls it forces him to turn around and will reduce the urge to pull you around like traditional back clip harnesses.

Super cute pup you got there :)

Ok I will definitely be ordering one of does ASAP but heā€™s been getting a little bit better with the collar still a little troubling but not as much as the first night and so far heā€™s only pee twice and poop once in his crate but the last one was more my mistake cuz I over slept last night but for the most part I believe heā€™s starting to understand..

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
just remember this is going to be *months* of work, and fun with the baby. Just what we bargain for when we let these little bundles into our lives ;) I Let my boy just drag the leash around (with me watching) just so when he would step on it himself, he got used to a little tug here and there so lost interest in fighting it. even a couple of steps toward following you is a step in the right direction :) time and patience :) It'll happen.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
just remember this is going to be *months* of work, and fun with the baby. Just what we bargain for when we let these little bundles into our lives ;) I Let my boy just drag the leash around (with me watching) just so when he would step on it himself, he got used to a little tug here and there so lost interest in fighting it. even a couple of steps toward following you is a step in the right direction :) time and patience :) It'll happen.

Ok I definitely gonna be trying that as we continue on our Journey I do have a question maybe you or some one here can help me with so I live on the 3rd floor walk-up what would be the best technique to help him go up and down by his self right now Iā€™ve been carrying him up and down stairs but thereā€™s also a set of stairs in the front of our home now he climbs those steps just fine about five steps just donā€™t wanna have him being 60+ pounds and not trying to walk up or down you know

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ok I will definitely be ordering one of does ASAP but heā€™s been getting a little bit better with the collar still a little troubling but not as much as the first night and so far heā€™s only pee twice and poop once in his crate but the last one was more my mistake cuz I over slept last night but for the most part I believe heā€™s starting to understand..
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] got you covered about a leash in your other post..... The only way is give it time heā€™s just a puppy that flew to you, stuck on a plane for hours... What you can do start in the house first, leave his leash on clipped to his collar n let him drag it around the house...then pick up the leash while standing IN FRONT of him n call him. Some will use treats but I never did. When he comes to you just drop the leash and pets him allllllllll over with a good boy good boy....repeat. Then once after he comes to you with the leash on his own, pick it up walk short distance in the house with good boy...Once heā€™s masters momma is happy with the leash in the house heā€™ll do the same outside. So eventually heā€™ll make the connection a leash is not so bad. But again, NO rush heā€™s just a few weeks old.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ok I definitely gonna be trying that as we continue on our Journey I do have a question maybe you or some one here can help me with so I live on the 3rd floor walk-up what would be the best technique to help him go up and down by his self right now Iā€™ve been carrying him up and down stairs but thereā€™s also a set of stairs in the front of our home now he climbs those steps just fine about five steps just donā€™t wanna have him being 60+ pounds and not trying to walk up or down you know

Congrats first of all and like everyone has said, this will take time and patience but he will get there. Carry him down for now and ALWAYS put him in the same spot out side to potty and when he does ACT LIKE A NUT with praise and a treat. The time it would take to let him walk down by himself now would be too long for potty time. That will come. Something that I started when Joey was a little baby and being house trained was to say the same thing every time I took her out "Gotta go out Joey?" and repeated it then picked her up, carried her outside, to the same spot. Mr. Wrinkles will get this, POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT and REPETITION. Eventually Joey figured out hopping and barking at me would earn her a trip outside to go to the bathroom.

You WILL succeed, Mr. Wrinkles will see to that :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
also, just an fyi,,, those little bones are sooooooo soft so i think you'll be carrying for a bit?? but yep, want to make sure he learns 'how' ;)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Itā€™s good to carry them up and down stairs for the first 6 months as their joints are not developed yet. I know as they get heavier, it gets harder to do that.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Itā€™s good to carry them up and down stairs for the first 6 months as their joints are not developed yet. I know as they get heavier, it gets harder to do that.

Ok I will definitely consider that also question is it normal for puppyā€™s to pee if they get scared he was sleeping but my daughter dropped something and he woke up and when I looked he had pee in the crate

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.