Bella ate an antler

Bravobrad950

May 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
As I typed this the power went out and I lost the long explanation of how it happened. So here's the short version.

Bella was chewing a 5 inch split antler and instead of leaving the hard part for me to throw away she decided to swallow it in pieces. I found parts of the antler laying around her. Usually she takes the marrow off and leaves it laying on the floor but I guess she was curious. My questions are as follows.

Are antlers digestible?

What should I look for in her behavior to know if it is causing discomfort or pain?

If a piece somehow manages to cut her open inside will.there be anything I will see to know something major has happened?

What can I do to help her pass the pieces safely?

Lastly, not knowing how many pieces there are when would they all have passed if they do pass safely?

The emergency vet is going to cost a small fortune and is my backup plan but before I make the choice to drive her an hour away in a panic I thought I'd ask all of you great folks. I appreciate all the info and I hope this is just a learning experience. I've already tossed all the antlers I have left because of this situation.

OP
B

Bravobrad950

May 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Please take this cute picture as a special thank you from the little goof herself.

Attachments

• 20170106_114928.jpg
    20170106_114928.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Please take this cute picture as a special thank you from the little goof herself.

Signs to look out for would be vomiting and diarrhea, lack of appetite or signs of abdominal discomfort. But yes they are digestible. She swallowed 5” or whatever was left like example 2”? Just keep an eye out but trust me she wouldn’t be the first to swallow an antler. I would rather have my dogs swallow an antler than a rawhide anytime.

OP
B

Bravobrad950

May 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you for the response! The antler was about 5 inches long and about the thickness of a nickel and there was nothing left when I got there. I'm glad they are able to be digested because I was in a slight panic until I read your response. She normally will lick at the marrow and scratch pieces off and for some reason she decided to eat the entire thing this time. The antler was smaller than I usually give so maybe she saw an opportunity and took it. Either way she seems fine but I'll keep an eye on her in case anything changes. Thank you so much.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Keep an eye on her but she should be fine. I gave Jax a kangaroo tail once. ONCE. I turned around for 1 minute and he ate the whole thing. All was well but I totally freaked out about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for the response! The antler was about 5 inches long and about the thickness of a nickel and there was nothing left when I got there. I'm glad they are able to be digested because I was in a slight panic until I read your response. She normally will lick at the marrow and scratch pieces off and for some reason she decided to eat the entire thing this time. The antler was smaller than I usually give so maybe she saw an opportunity and took it. Either way she seems fine but I'll keep an eye on her in case anything changes. Thank you so much.

Yes you still need to keep an eye out. I bought buffalo horns for my dogs. Nyala my brindle she goes through everything even 5” beef marrow bone. She’ll crack that open. Go figure. I saw these horns are pet valu and some were hollow and some were filled tight horns. I took 2 filled ones. That was like a year ago. She she hasn’t broken it. Antlers I like great stuff but like yours once she reaches 4” she will swallow it so I end up throwing it. I didn’t buy the split one only the full ones. But still I stop buying them. No issues with Duke just her so I avoid them completely of her. Brat!

OP
B

Bravobrad950

May 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
A quick update. She has basically slept all day but no diarrhea or anything so far. She didn't want dinner but sometimes she skips feeding time and waits until later to eat so I guess we shall see.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A quick update. She has basically slept all day but no diarrhea or anything so far. She didn't want dinner but sometimes she skips feeding time and waits until later to eat so I guess we shall see.

Also.. no split antlers just this reason .... moose paddles are a great option or raw marrow bones.

I hope she is doing well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.