Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Airlines no longer shipping English/French Bulldogs and other snub nose breeds

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Delta Airlines no longer shipping English/French Bulldogs and other snub nose breeds

Delta Airlines is no longer going to ship English Bulldogs- no matter the age, in the news today:

Of the 16 pets that died on Delta flights in 2010, six were bulldogs. The AJC in January reported on the sharp increase in animal incidents on Delta, noting that bulldogs are among those most affected by the challenges of flying.

Delta in February said it would no longer carry American, English and French bulldogs, based on its review of animal incidents last year.

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said the airline saw a pattern involving animals susceptible to respiratory problems. In some cases, those dogs died during flights where other dogs held in the same space arrived alive, he said.

Michael Markarian, chief operating officer of the Humane Society of the United States, called it a "sensible response" to problems among many many short-faced dogs and cats, including bulldogs, pugs and Persian cats. Such animals can have difficulty breathing, especially in cargo holds, he added.

"We're pleased that Delta is being attentive and responsive to the particular animal welfare concerns with bulldogs," Markarian said.

Other major carriers also have restrictions on carrying bulldogs and some other breeds, or simply do not carry pets in cargo holds at all. AirTran Airways and Southwest Airlines, for example, only accept pets that fit in under-seat carriers. American Airlines stopped carrying snub-nosed dogs and cats last November.
    Maybe, just MAYBE, this will be a good start to stop brokers, puppy mills and importers! At least it will put a damper on their get rich quick schemes!!!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Delta Airlines no longer shipping English/French Bulldogs and other snub nose breeds

Thats such great news!!!
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Delta Airlines no longer shipping English/French Bulldogs and other snub nose breeds

That is awsome news!!! We drove 3 hours away to get Matilda.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mai, Tai, and Tiki
    Likes (Received)

Our 9 week old boy Tiki was shipped to us via Delta a week and a half ago. We did have a hard time getting him shipped since they wouldn't ship him to Little Rock so we had to drive to Tulsa.

So who else ships? As a breeeder this is very bad news. I guess we'll be making some road trips!
    Last edited by PukaMiniBulldogs; 04-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am so happy about this news. We drove over 5 hours to get our babies..

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad about this!

I've never been a fan of shipping any living creature. It has to be terrifying for them.

I wouldn't want to fly anywhere and just stick Delilah in a cage away from me. She would be TERRIFIED. If I was going somewhere with the dog...looks like I'm driving!!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if any of the airlines mentioned are international freight carriers tho.They are the ones that would have an impact on the imported puppy mill business.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

This is good news. The problem is they box the crates in with the luggage so darn tight the poor animals suffocate. Ruggles' dad died that way on his way home from a show. We have always driven to pick up our puppies.
    Regarding overseas puppy mills--OMG--don't we have enough puppy mills here???

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

@BruceP, I thought the same thing. I am sure that those airlines will not bring them in via international flights, however, how many international companies will bring them in to the US still and w/o quarantine? Also what if they get here (to one of our major hubs) but then stuck due to airlines not shipping in the continental US?

I hope this will be the start to the end of shipping and importing of dogs, any breed. I know of many people that have flown themselves or driven to get a puppy, they are responsible owners.

Always with me

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PukaMiniBulldogs View Post
    Our 9 week old boy Tiki was shipped to us via Delta a week and a half ago. We did have a hard time getting him shipped since they wouldn't ship him to Little Rock so we had to drive to Tulsa.

So who else ships? As a breeeder this is very bad news. I guess we'll be making some road trips!
    Let me check with Matildas breeder and find out. They shipped one of her litter mates all the way to Germany.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

I have always had negative feelings towards shipping animals unattended anyway. It jsut doesn't seem safe , and I won't buy a puppy who's parents and living situation I can't see in person. I also know however that sometimes ,like in @Telly03 situation, it's the only way to get a quality puppy. I often wonder though , don't breeders want to meet the puppy's parents in person?
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mai, Tai, and Tiki
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dozersmama View Post
    I have always had negative feelings towards shipping animals unattended anyway. It jsut doesn't seem safe , and I won't buy a puppy who's parents and living situation I can't see in person. I also know however that sometimes ,like in @Telly03 situation, it's the only way to get a quality puppy. I often wonder though , don't breeders want to meet the puppy's parents in person?

Thats some great points you bring up. Yes sometimes it's just not possible to go get the pup or have it brought to you, which we have done before for the new owner.

And yes as breeder's we like to know where our babies are going, but when selling a pup in that situation you must ask many questions, not only to make sure that the new parent will be a good owner of your dog but also to make sure they will be a good EB owner as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads