Delta Airlines no longer shipping English/French Bulldogs and other snub nose breeds

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
I have always had negative feelings towards shipping animals unattended anyway. It jsut doesn't seem safe , and I won't buy a puppy who's parents and living situation I can't see in person. I also know however that sometimes ,like in @Telly03 situation, it's the only way to get a quality puppy. I often wonder though , don't breeders want to meet the puppy's parents in person?

Our mini's are Ffull AKC registered English Bulldog's simply bred down for a smaller dog. Thats what a true Mini EB is. Now there are some out there that will breed an EB with a pug and call it a mini but they of course aren't AKC dog's. We only breed AKC bulldogs.

As for as health goes they actually seem to be healthier due to the fact that they aren't packing on so much weight onto such a small frame. Our's are usually 32-38 pounds when full grown. We are hoping that one day the AKC will recognize them and give them their own registration. But until then we will continue to breed healthy AKC dogs, just smaller!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Very good news! A great step taking by responsible oficials. I cant even imagine the fright these poor creatures go through! And I agree with Desertskybulldogs, perhaps it will make it just a little bit more dificult for puppy mills and bad breeders.:up:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I have mixed feelings on this... of course Moe made it just fine from Australia, and I'll admit that I was nervous for him, but after watching a comforting video, which I can't seem to locate now, that showed the procedure, and knowing that it was a straight flight, I figured he would be OK. But after doing some reading today, I feel that I perhaps should have been more concerned.

Here is an interesting site, Airline Pet Travel Incident Listing that lists all reported pet death or injury incidents. Reading through these pretty much confirmed my suspicions that almost all of these involved flights with multiple stops. The stops scare me more than the flights... most airlines are good about making sure that there is proper ventilation around each crate, the crate is loaded last and removed first, and the cargo area is temperature and pressured controlled that same as the passenger area. But what happens to the crate during layovers? How much time are they on the flightline? which is much hotter than outside temp. What are the conditions in the baggage holding areas?

So I was feeling pretty smart about proving my theory as I was reading through the reports of deaths involving flights with multiple stops, until I get to Hawaiian Airlines, the same airlines I used for Moe. They reported an incident in Nov 2010, just a few months prior to Moe's flight, of an English Bulldog flying from Honolulu (Oahu) to Kona (Hawaii), which is about 30 min or so, straight shot. The dog was loaded unobstructed right next to the door, and was found dead on arrival. OK, this hits close to home, so yes, perhaps I should have been more worried. But if the flying is actually dangerous, I'm still puzzled as to why that is... they are in the safety of a crate in a controlled environment... what is the dangerous factor?

There will always be a market for the service, and there are still plenty of pet "friendly" airlines, so I doubt this will dampen puppy mills much, but I still think there are additional measures that can be taken by airlines and customers to mitigate the risk... for example, one airline that I did notice was missing from the list of incidents was PetAirways, Pet travel in the main cabin . They are a pet ONLY airlines, and the crates are placed in the main cabin.

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
Continental still ships Bullies as long as it 70f or less.

My mother in law has been breeding and shipping pups all over te US for 25 years and has only had one pup die in all that time. She has found that direct flights are the way to go and also the new owner must be responsible and be there in time. You have a window to get there and pick up your pup. Luckily there are baggage handlers who are dog owners as well and they will sometime feed and water your pup if need.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
While waiting for our flight on summer afternoon in Seattle....we watched a dog sit on the tarmac in 80 degree weather for quite a bit of time, in a kennel. I have mixed emotions on this also. We flew down to Texas to pick up Cadence, but we were able to stow her as a carry on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online