LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
I know there has been a lot of posts about dog food so sorry for another one...My bulldog has been on the Fromm line of kibble for several years. She has always had problems with allergies constant licking and scratching and she has always done this even while on the Fromm dog food. She does seem to be worsened by the Pork and peas and recently we tried Rancherosa that has been especially bad too. I'm wondering if she could have a pea allergy? I was interested in changing up her food to see if the itching and scratching would stop or lessen so I was looking into all the good brands people here have suggested, (Orijen, acacna, Zignature, Earthbound Holistic, etc..) but the problem is a lot of them contain peas or pea flour. I found a limited ingredient dog food, taste of the wild prey, so I am going to start that soon, but I was just curious if there was a different food you all would recommend or if I should give this taste of the wild prey a shot. Do you all think that is a good dog food as well?

*It may not even be the peas at all but I was thinking worth a shot to try!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know there has been a lot of posts about dog food so sorry for another one...My bulldog has been on the Fromm line of kibble for several years. She has always had problems with allergies constant licking and scratching and she has always done this even while on the Fromm dog food. She does seem to be worsened by the Pork and peas and recently we tried Rancherosa that has been especially bad too. I'm wondering if she could have a pea allergy? I was interested in changing up her food to see if the itching and scratching would stop or lessen so I was looking into all the good brands people here have suggested, (Orijen, acacna, Zignature, Earthbound Holistic, etc..) but the problem is a lot of them contain peas or pea flour. I found a limited ingredient dog food, taste of the wild prey, so I am going to start that soon, but I was just curious if there was a different food you all would recommend or if I should give this taste of the wild prey a shot. Do you all think that is a good dog food as well?

Iā€™m not a big fan of TOTW cause of call backs but hey, itā€™s basically what works for your dog. If TOTW works, stick to it. Best thing would be raw. You also can buy raw kibbles. If you do the math itā€™s almost the same price as a higher quality kibble as you give less. Just a thought. :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I had a similar issue with my French Bulldog when he was younger. I went through so many different kibbles and nothing ever helped so I finally went to raw and for awhile just used Vital Essentials as there are no added fruits or veggies, just the meat/organ/bone and that helped me narrow the issues down. While he does also have environmental allergies, there was a big difference with getting him off the kibble and eating raw.

OP
LolaLover

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
I haven't even thought about feeding raw, that may be a better option. I will look into Vital Essentials as well. Thanks for the feedback on TOTW :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was going to suggest raw as well.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] feeds TOTE and can give insight, it works well for her babies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have been eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon for 5 years. so far, they have done well on it.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
I am the owner of 2 bulldogs. One does fine on just about anything I feed him, the other not so good. Allergic to salmon and beef. I was always told to stay away from Fromm due to almost all their kibble containing potato. After trying several different types of kibble I settled on Grailn Free Pure Balance (Bison, Pea and Venison). They have been eating this for the last 3 1/2 yrs and they have done great on it! They get frozen fruit and veggies for treats. Hope this helps!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

A lot of us on this site, including me, have tried food after food, and eventually ended up giving our dogs frozen raw. The next best thing to frozen raw is dehydrated raw, eg. Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's or Spot Farms or EasyRaw, but it works out more expensive compared to a locally sourced frozen raw, and isn't quite as low allergy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.