Crate training help

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Hello to everyone out there so Iā€™m a first time EB owner and was just wondering as far as training my EB to love his crate and not cry when heā€™s in it what can I do ?? Also what size crate would be a good fit for him ?? Any help wound be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Put him in it and close the gate. He will likely cry but not cry because he's "locked in the crate". He'll cry because he wants to be out with you or anyone else, chewing on your hands and feet or anything else he can get a hold of. He will eventually stop crying and go to sleep. It may take as little as a few days or as long as a few weeks for the puppy to "get it". Be diligent...do not give in. This is your home and you run the show.
Also...
Feed the pup on your schedule, not the puppy's. Put the food down and give ample to for the pup to eat and then take up the bowl. If puppy does not eat right away they will begin to learn that a missed meal means no meal and they will quickly learn what "meal time" means. Fresh clean water in a stainless bowl, no plastics. Frequent trips out to potty(especially right after a meal or drinking) and lots of praise for a job well done. Chew toys instead of fingers and feet...never fingers and feet. No knotted rope/string toys or rawhides, ever!
I recommend a Kuranda bed for inside a crate. It offers comfort and is chew proof.
More pics please.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Put him in it and close the gate. He will likely cry but not cry because he's "locked in the crate". He'll cry because he wants to be out with you or anyone else, chewing on your hands and feet or anything else he can get a hold of. He will eventually stop crying and go to sleep. It may take as little as a few days or as long as a few weeks for the puppy to "get it". Be diligent...do not give in. This is your home and you run the show.
Also...
Feed the pup on your schedule, not the puppy's. Put the food down and give ample to for the pup to eat and then take up the bowl. If puppy does not eat right away they will begin to learn that a missed meal means no meal and they will quickly learn what "meal time" means. Fresh clean water in a stainless bowl, no plastics. Frequent trips out to potty(especially right after a meal or drinking) and lots of praise for a job well done. Chew toys instead of fingers and feet...never fingers and feet. No knotted rope/string toys or rawhides, ever!
I recommend a Kuranda bed for inside a crate. It offers comfort and is chew proof.
More pics please.

Ok great I appreciate the heads up so what size crate would you recommend??

and what size bed ??

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
for a puppy you can get an 18x30" and a bed appropriately sized for it. This can get a little confusing as Kuranda make beds for some crate manufacturers but not all. You may want to call/email them and get details on correct brand and sizing. Some crates come with a partition that closes off some of the crate to make it tighter. This can help with crate/potty training. Dogs do not like to sleep where they pee/poop. You may already know this...but there will be accidents. The idea is to minimize the amount of them. It's been a while since we had a puppy but IIRC, we used a bare crate until the potty training became consistently successful and then introduced the bed.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
for a puppy you can get an 18x30" and a bed appropriately sized for it. This can get a little confusing as Kuranda make beds for some crate manufacturers but not all. You may want to call/email them and get details on correct brand and sizing. Some crates come with a partition that closes off some of the crate to make it tighter. This can help with crate/potty training. Dogs do not like to sleep where they pee/poop. You may already know this...but there will be accidents. The idea is to minimize the amount of them. It's been a while since we had a puppy but IIRC, we used a bare crate until the potty training became consistently successful and then introduced the bed.

Alright!!! I truly appreciate all the advice I will definitely be looking into that I was thinking of getting a crate size 42x28 with a divider and bed size 31x19 but before I order anything I will be doing some more research.. so have you been dealing with this breed of dog for some time ??
Also have you even heard of bully max itā€™s a supplement to help with muscle building??

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Alright!!! I truly appreciate all the advice I will definitely be looking into that I was thinking of getting a crate size 42x28 with a divider and bed size 31x19 but before I order anything I will be doing some more research.. so have you been dealing with this breed of dog for some time ??
Also have you even heard of bully max itā€™s a supplement to help with muscle building??

I've owned bulldogs since 1993...1st and only puppy purchase. Rescued quite a few since then. Just can't seem to break myself away from them. :D
Never used any supplements. If a good quality diet is being offered there's no need, IMO.

BTW, "Mr Wrinkles" is not a good name...it's a fabulous name!

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
I've owned bulldogs since 1993...1st and only puppy purchase. Rescued quite a few since then. Just can't seem to break myself away from them. :D
Never used any supplements. If a good quality diet is being offered there's no need, IMO.

BTW, "Mr Wrinkles" is not a good name...it's a fabulous name!

Lol hey how did you find out his name and thanks my daughter gave him his name Iā€™m wanted something like boss or king,Spartacus but my daughter wasnā€™t having it at all everyone seems to like it .. what do you feed your EB? Iā€™ve head a lot of different opinions just not sure which way to go

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol hey how did you find out his name .. what do you feed your EB?

We used to feed Acana Duck formula but have recently switched to Zignature Duck...both very good foods. Also considered Orijen and Fromm but the protein content was a little higher than we like...still excellent kibbles.

I did some in depth research and extremely skillful study to figure out his name...
DOH!

wrinkles - Copy copy.jpg

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
We used to feed Acana Duck formula but have recently switched to Zignature Duck...both very good foods. Also considered Orijen and Fromm but the protein content was a little higher than we like...still excellent kibbles.

I did some in depth research and extremely skillful study to figure out his name...
DOH!

View attachment 113989

Oh ok I for got about that. Thanks for all the support and advice really appreciate it I will do some research as well to see about the foods you mentioned for some reasonable Breeder suggested eukanuba lame and rice she said she been feeding her dogs that for a long time and they do good on it but idk about the brand of food. Also can I see a picture of you EB

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Also...
More pics please.

Here are a few pix
bfc08cb47035145af0d68ad8fd067fa9.jpg
1c89c958bccfb9615f2ccedb06a7fc21.jpg
44461eda4fe7cd53d36a4eb93e2b6fa4.png
9ca8fb163d2aba13fd95ddb566108b4f.png

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Also can I see a picture of you EB
Zoey our fun police girl 7 YO
zoey.jpg
Agility girl Pippy 9 YO
_DSC2635.JPG
Lala, the muscle-bound stink-eyed athletic girl 3 YO
Lala 20x10.jpg
MINI our Mega E girl 2 YO
MINI.jpg
Hanky Panky Tank our current rescue recovering from neuter and soft palate reduction/soon to be placed 6 YO
!cid_DDE81867-BAB1-4A6D-8CE7-702D93C75AEA.jpg

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18623]Nelson318[/MENTION] Welcome to EBN!! Your Mr. Wrinkles is sure a cutie-love the name,too! Much better than your choices!:laugh:and appropriate,too! Many years ago, Eukanuba was considered the best dog food. Back then, there were not many choices. My hubby and I used to drive 40 miles, to get it for our dogs. Now, there are many kinds of food, MUCH better, as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] has suggested. There are now "studies" that are saying that grain free, is related to heart problems. As with most studies, that may change. My dogs do eat grain free,(the best I personally can afford, but also get a supplement. As for the Bully Max, this is the first I have heard of it. Though it says steroid free, I have learned(with horses) that many who "push" supplements,and feed, to encourage more muscle and faster growth, wind up with problems in the long run.
Supplements can be good, but I kind of question pushing growth and muscle-but I am certainly NOT a nutritionist, or any kind of authority. Just my thought.:idea2:

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
[MENTION=18623]Nelson318[/MENTION] Welcome to EBN!! Your Mr. Wrinkles is sure a cutie-love the name,too! Much better than your choices!:laugh:and appropriate,too! Many years ago, Eukanuba was considered the best dog food. Back then, there were not many choices. My hubby and I used to drive 40 miles, to get it for our dogs. Now, there are many kinds of food, MUCH better, as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] has suggested. There are now "studies" that are saying that grain free, is related to heart problems. As with most studies, that may change. My dogs do eat grain free,(the best I personally can afford, but also get a supplement. As for the Bully Max, this is the first I have heard of it. Though it says steroid free, I have learned(with horses) that many who "push" supplements,and feed, to encourage more muscle and faster growth, wind up with problems in the long run.
Supplements can be good, but I kind of question pushing growth and muscle-but I am certainly NOT a nutritionist, or any kind of authority. Just my thought.:idea2:

Let me start by saying thank you for welcoming me to the EBN also I just got of the phone with a Breeder and they are suggesting EARTHBORN DRY FOOD have you ever heard of that from what Iā€™ve read the reviews seem to be good I just wanna be able to give a good healthy food to my EB

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Let me start by saying thank you for welcoming me to the EBN also I just got of the phone with a Breeder and they are suggesting EARTHBORN DRY FOOD have you ever heard of that from what Iā€™ve read the reviews seem to be good I just wanna be able to give a good healthy food to my EB

The gang is getting you covered!! I LOVE. The name Mr Wrinkles... it is fitting!

Earth born Holistic is a great food, staying grain free, all you have to do is add a can of sardines a week to cover the missing taurine.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.