Ear Hematoma

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I was on a girlā€™s weekend over the weekend with my Mother and sister, my Husband cared for the pups and fids. Today I found Canelo with a hematoma of the left ear. It wasnā€™t there last evening when I got home. My experience with a hematoma of the ear is having it drained. Regardless I flushed his ears, cleaned them again and applied antibiotics with a mild steroid. Heā€™s resting but the hematoma hasnā€™t gone down or diminished in size.

Adding pics as requested

Update: Nelo saw the vet but did not drain. We go back Thursday to be drained. Of course he was so happy to be there, seriously. He loves the attention and sniffing out all the snacks lol.

Left Ear With Hematoma
8e04ff55756541bcd97c282e8ce883cb.jpg

Right Ear, No Hematoma
104a046a3867e58553bf2ab290389cbb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I was on a girlā€™s weekend over the weekend with my Mother and sister, my Husband cared for the pups and fids. Today I found Canelo with a hematoma of the left ear. It wasnā€™t there last evening when I got home. My experience with a hematoma of the ear is having it drained. Regardless I flushed his ears, cleaned them again and applied antibiotics with a mild steroid. Heā€™s resting but the hematoma hasnā€™t gone down or diminished in size.

Ahhhhh jeez, poor thing! I have no experience with Joey having one BUT my friends dog (large mixed breed-floppy ears) developed one about 1.5 years ago, but he had chronic ear infections and shook his head ALL OF THE TIME which is what caused his. She had it drained and eventually the fluid re-absorbed back into his body. The ear is a little bit deformed at the tip but other than that he has recovered well, it just took a long time. I should say the hematoma was located at the tip of his ear.

I hope this helps and I hope Canelo recovers soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... poor guy, can you post a pic of it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No choice but to have it drained...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I would get the ear infection completely under control first. Then wait a few weeks to see if it(the hematoma) will heal on its own...they often do. If it doesnā€™t then have it drained. Keep in mind that even if drained it can quickly fill up again. FWIW, that hematoma is small, and IMO, will likely be absorbed in a few weeks time if left alone...as long as the ears (both ears)are healthy. Weā€™ve seen hematomas appear in the ear opposite the one with the infection.
GL!

Most Reactions