Thread: Is my dog a Bulldog?

Country
    Bolivia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    John Snow
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Is my dog a Bulldog?

Hello guys,
    I found this site and thought maby somebody expert can help me to identify if my dog actually is a bulldog or what kind of breeds have been mixed.

First I would like to explain my personal situation: My name is Judith I am german and after a social developing program I have lived in Bolivia (South America) for the last 5 years. So sorry for the bad spelling, I am starting to forget this beautiful lenguage because of talking spanish all the time. So two years ago I adopted a dog, because his owners wouldnt have him anymore.

I do not no much about Bulldogs, but I think he has some traits of this breed. But I also noticed, that he doesnt look too much like the other bulldogs I saw, so I guess he isnt a pure bulldog.
    So that doesnt really matter to me, but here comes the problem:

If I would like to take my dog to germany there are some strict rules about the breeds. There is a list of "dangerous dog-breeds" and if you own one of them - even if its only a crossbreed- you need a licence, and I am not sure if you can import them from other countries.

Now I learned that the "olde english bulldog" for example is mixed with pit bull sometimes.

So I would like to ask you if you can help me to recognice what kind of breed is my dog? I would be very grateful!

About my dog:

High:46 cm - 18 inches?
    Weight: 22 Kg - 48,5 pounds?

-img_20180104_175454-jpg-img-20170926-wa0023-jpg-img-20180305-wa0008-jpeg-img_20180913_214654-1-jpg-img_20180913_214713-1-jpg

Thank you

2. Likes 2BullyMama, 2bullies, Chunky White liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is my dog a Bulldog?

He looks like a bulldog to me and a handsome one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog Vet in Training Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Hi and welcome! To me your bully looks like a perfectly purebred English bulldog. He or she is actually as close to a breed standard as it could be. I cannot even name one trait in her face or his/her body that looks not perfectly English-bulldog - like. His/her looks are actually so good that he /she could be used for breeding if he/she had documents.
    I cannot imagine any problem with importing your dog into EU. No one can say that he/she has other than EB blood.
    Go ahead and prepare papers, you will need for him rabies vaccination and certificate of titers of antibodies. It can take some time, couple of months.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Bolivia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    John Snow
    Likes (Received)

Thank you very much for the comments! It makes me happy to hear, that he looks like a Bulldog to you people ho know about the breed!

Country
    Bolivia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    John Snow
    Likes (Received)

Hello Lalaloopsie,
    She is a he Everyone thinks he is a female because he is really small and allso I made him sterilize ( or castrate? Sorry I dont know the word). I guess my fotos also didnt help to see that hes a male
    When I first got him he has had some behaviour problems and he doesnt have any papers so my vet told me it would be better to castrate him.
    And after about two weeks I noticed that my dog is completely deaf and suffers of epilepsy. - So I guess that is why his former owners put him in to adoption.
    I dont know if that is a genetic thing but I thougt it would be better not to breed.
    The vet told me it would be better to castrate him. Is that true? I dont know how much I can trust in the vet, the educacion for being a vet in Bolivia isnt so good I think.

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSnow View Post
    Hello Lalaloopsie,
    She is a he Everyone thinks he is a female because he is really small and allso I made him sterilize ( or castrate? Sorry I dont know the word). I guess my fotos also didnt help to see that hes a male
    When I first got him he has had some behaviour problems and he doesnt have any papers so my vet told me it would be better to castrate him.
    And after about two weeks I noticed that my dog is completely deaf and suffers of epilepsy. - So I guess that is why his former owners put him in to adoption.
    I dont know if that is a genetic thing but I thougt it would be better not to breed.
    The vet told me it would be better to castrate him. Is that true? I dont know how much I can trust in the vet, the educacion for being a vet in Bolivia isnt so good I think.
    Don’t get him castrated. Just get him neutered if you want him to be fix. No need for castration.

9. Likes Mutsch Harvesting liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Real Name
    Hope
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
    Likes (Received)

He is beautiful! Welcome!!

11. Likes Mutsch Harvesting liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

That boy is all Bulldog...he checks all the right boxes.
    flat face
    correct height
    correct color
    rose ears
    a little food stuck to his face
    sassy attitude

You got a good one there.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Bolivia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    John Snow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    That boy is all Bulldog...he checks all the right boxes.
    flat face
    correct height
    correct color
    rose ears
    a little food stuck to his face
    sassy attitude

You got a good one there.

Thank you to all of you, now I feel much more secure about taking him with me!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Agreed... all bulldog!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He's a beautiful dog and he certainly looks like a bulldog. You may already have thought of this but if you plan to take him to Germany, you need to check what airlines will take him across the Atlantic as most may not fly bulldogs (because of potential breathing problems).

Best of luck! And welcome to the forum from Castor & Co.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

well let's see. If you observe any of these following things, you might just have a bulldog:

selective hearing:
    Bulldog does not respond unless he wants to but will be on his toes the minute he hear a biscuit tin can being opened a mile away.

snoring;
    Loud snoring like sleeping next to a tractor.

constant butt wipes:
    yes it is like having a baby, but you need to wipe them arse or around the arse to keep them from getting pocket tail infection

vet becoming a member of your extended family:
    you make frequent trips to the vet that the Vet becomes a Godfather to your first born son

need food often:
    no matter how much you feed him, it is not enough.

bravest dog in the block:
    if he lets out a fierce bark when the mailman rings the bell, he might just be a bulldog. It does not matter who it is, he barks out loud to protect this household. However, once the intruder makes it in, he will probably lick him to death and leads the intruder to all your good stuff... It's all good.

bulldog is the breed that has the closest dna to humans. He watches tv, plays and entertain himself, walks and runs awkwardly, sits with his legs crossed, grunts when you talk to him, uses a skateboard, etc.

Natural comeidians: If you find them to be truly adorable without trying and you find yourself laughing while they move, you might just own a bulldog.

If he gives you the side eye. If he gives you the dirty look for delays in giving him treats, you might just have a bulldog in your hands.

If he sticks his tongue out to you, seems like continuously mocking you for being late in giving him his treats, you might just own a bulldog.

Deceptive looks. My neighbor frankly told me that my bulldog looks fierce and scary. She had a change of heart once she touched him. Because they look stocky, top heavy, they must be aggressive. nope nope nope. Bulldogs are lovers not a fighter.

Nonetheless, once you own a bulldog, there's no turning back, you will always own a bulldog.

-080618-jpg
    Hug your bully today

18. Likes Hceril, Chunky White liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads