Hot Spots?

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello~

Lola is about 6 months now and she has 2 hot spots (I think that is what they are). They started out small and she has stopped licking them but now those spots are bold. Does anyone know why this happened or what they are?

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@%1;LolaLove
Do you have a photo you can share with us of the spots? I have the most amazing treatment for Hot Spots...You might be able to get the stuff at your vet. My own vet gave me some. But if your vet doesn't carry it...you can buy it online...

Vet Solutions Surgical Scrub & Handwash, 16 oz. at PetsTruly.com

This stuff is amazing! You just place a dab of the solution on a cotton pad or cotton ball. And rub into the area until the color of the solution isn't as noticeable. And leave it on the spot without washing off. Treat it twice a day...and it is amazing at how quickly it clears up!

Some suggest to shave the area...to clear it so you can clean it better. Are the spots seeping?

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
I thought that's what sparkles had hot spots but I tool her to the vet yesterday bc they were getting worse not better & ended up having a form of mite that was eating her hair off and causing her to have bald spots. They did a skin scraping and that's how they determined what it was.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Hot spots typically seep I think...at least the type Jake our first bulldog then Tank had. A skin scraping is the best way to decide if it's mites...I agree. But if it's seepy I would think it a hot spot...the solution would not treat mites though...if that were the case.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Harley got hot spots when I switched his food to a highly rated natural food. He was tested for mites (negative), mange and a host of other things. I went back to his former food and the hot spots on his side and redness between his front legs went away. I kept a picture of my poor hot spot Bully on the refrig. to remind me why I wasn't going to switch food again. We have since moved and I have no clue where the picture is or I'd post it! Good luck in finding out what's going on with Lola!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norm had one on the top of his head, it seemed to just appear overnight. He ended up getting MRSA with it.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola 1.jpgHere are some pics...maybe a hot spot isn't the right thing to say. Maybe it is mites?! GROSS! Lola2.jpg What is it? They don't seep, they are totally dry. She doesn't itch them either, she just use to lick. Now, the spot doesn't bother her.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
You need to take Lola to the vet [MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] and have a skin scraping now before it get's bigger. Belly has mange as do several others on the board right now. All puppies are born with it, but if their immune system is low they can't fight off the mites and they start eating the hair follicles which is why they get the bald patches. Demedectic mange isn't contagious... The scabies form is highly contagious so it's best to find out if it's just hot spots or mange.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
View attachment 6728Here are some pics...maybe a hot spot isn't the right thing to say. Maybe it is mites?! GROSS! View attachment 6727 What is it? They don't seep, they are totally dry. She doesn't itch them either, she just use to lick. Now, the spot doesn't bother her.

This could be numerous things... You should go to the vet. It could certainly be mange, bacterial infection, allergies, or others. Best to nip it in the bud now before it gets worse. Keep us posted!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Yeah...it doesn't look seeping to me. And all our hot spots were seeping red spots. Definitely a good thing to nip in the butt right now before it escalates.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
So, i took Lola to the vet and they did to a scraping. She has mites. Ewwwa! So, they gave her medication to treat it. So glad I took her. Thank you guys for the advice! :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
So, i took Lola to the vet and they did to a scraping. She has mites. Ewwwa! So, they gave her medication to treat it. So glad I took her. Thank you guys for the advice! :)

Not good news but at least now you know what it is and have what you need to treat it :) Like someone else said alot of puppies get it and Lola will be just fine!

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Yeah for sure! I wasn't going to take her thinking it was a hot spot, so glad the problem is on the mend! It's still gross. LOL!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.