Advice Wanted... buying puppy with one eye?!

sophie82

Apr 5, 2011
Hi,
not sure this is the correct place to post this, or if its ok even as the puppy im looking at getting isnt a pedigree, His mum was a british x olde tyme and his dad a full british.
Anyway, he is 12 weeks old and has had an eye removed and sewn up, due to a scratch from a sibling ( the seller has told me)
Just wanted to know what i should maybe look out for or ask with reagrds to that? would an eye be removed for that reason?
He looks so adorable, and Im not bothered by him only having one eye, but worry there could be problems with his remaining eye? Id hate for him to suffer, and feel as though the person selling doesnt really want it at all he has offered me a completly knockdown price and didnt at first even mention that pup... I guess i feel sorry for him a lot and I know that is not a good reason to choose a pup.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice :)

Sophie.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sophie, I think I would insist on having him checked out by my vet first to be sure the eye removal was done correctly and that there aren't other problems. By the way, Welcome to EBN. I hope you find everything you need here. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes I agree have him checked by a good bully vet to make sure nothing else is wrong, poor thing. Oh and yes welcome to the site. We dont care if your pup is a purebred perfect akc registered whatever just so you know. ;) Not all purebreds are perfect anyhow, not even close actually. I hope your soon to be pup is healthy aside from the eye. Cant wait to see pics!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
A friend of mine...had her puppy lose an eye once it was in her home...due to a scratch. So...it can happen she nor her husband know how it occurred but they do have another dog. Her pup healed up nicely...I would want to speak with the vet who did that procedure...Which shouldn't be an issue of their giving you the name and number. As well as finding out how long ago the surgery was...But...they sure enough can live productive lives...

I think it's sweet that your considering this pup...as for the reduced price that sounds normal for a pup with an issue.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2160]sophie82[/MENTION] Hello and Welcome. Glad you're here. Don't worry about posting something in the wrong place . If it's in the wrong place the moderators are really nice and will just move it, so it get the correct attention. No big deal. As far as if it's ok, everything goes as long as it doesn't violate the few simple forum rules found here English Bulldog News- Forum Rules.
I manage a dog daycare, and we have a puggle with 1 eye. He lost it the same way this pup did. He has always ran played and acted just like any other dog with 2 eyes . SO hopefully barring any other medical issues , your pup will be just fine. Also we love all dogs here , not just pure breed bulldogs. But I have to tell you as a member of this forum it is an unofficial rule that you provide us with plenty of pivtures of all of your animals, dogs ,cats , fish, sea monkeys , we don't care . We want to see them all!:D

OP
S

sophie82

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for your replies :)

I am going to see him in a little while, and think I will ask for the vets contact details, I will be obv taking him to one local to me anyway for his jabs ect... so hopefully, all being well, and so long as the seller will give me some sort of guarantee for him, I will be bringing baby home later.

We have his crate and bits sorted out as we have been busy preparing for new arrival before buying, and its so exciting!

I will post pics of him ( and my other pets ~ a small jack russell x , rescue hedgehog (who is being released soon!) four chickens, and a goldfish lol) tomorrow hopefully all being well after a visit to vets :)

Thanks again for your help and advice, and for the warm welcome :)

Sophie x

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=2160]sophie82[/MENTION]
Thanks for your replies :)

I am going to see him in a little while, and think I will ask for the vets contact details, I will be obv taking him to one local to me anyway for his jabs ect... so hopefully, all being well, and so long as the seller will give me some sort of guarantee for him, I will be bringing baby home later.

We have his crate and bits sorted out as we have been busy preparing for new arrival before buying, and its so exciting!

I will post pics of him ( and my other pets ~ a small jack russell x , rescue hedgehog (who is being released soon!) four chickens, and a goldfish lol) tomorrow hopefully all being well after a visit to vets :)

Thanks again for your help and advice, and for the warm welcome :)

Sophie x

Okay...off topic...but releasing a hedgehog into the wild...WHERE DO YOU LIVE!?! We looked into getting a hedgehog as a pet...but seen the potty boots they can get...and their needing cleaning and such. And chose chinchillas...also the chinchillas live longer...another plus when dealing with children and their mourning the loss of a pet.

so long as the seller will give me some sort of guarantee for him

This is a dog that won't come with papers...what exactly are you expecting the breeder to guarentee...I'm thinking it might have been an "oops litter". Correct me if I'm wrong...Are they selling the pups then? Not sure what the breeder will guarentee...since the dogs aren't registered and all...Just be prepared that they might not offer anything as well. If that the case...are you going to pass on the pup?

OP
S

sophie82

Apr 5, 2011
Right, well I went to see him, The seller has told me that if after a vet check I am not happy for whatever reason that I can indeed return him to her, that way he will not be in home after home the poor boy. So, I have him here now, his first night went really well and he has been an angel :)

I will post some pics later on.

Darlene, In response to your post...
Okay...off topic...but releasing a hedgehog into the wild...WHERE DO YOU LIVE!?! We looked into getting a hedgehog as a pet...but seen the potty boots they can get...and their needing cleaning and such. And chose chinchillas...also the chinchillas live longer...another plus when dealing with children and their mourning the loss of a pet

The hedgehog is not some sort of 'pet' I got him from a charity (norwich hedgehog ) they take in hedgehogs that are sick or underweight and so would die if they went into hibernation, People like me have them in their homes to keep them warm and prevent hibernation and feed them up over the winter ready to be released back where they belong come spring / summer...I live in Norfolk in the UK, right in the countryside.... there are plenty of 'safe' places for him when the time comes.

This is a dog that won't come with papers...what exactly are you expecting the breeder to guarentee...I'm thinking it might have been an "oops litter". Correct me if I'm wrong...Are they selling the pups then? Not sure what the breeder will guarentee...since the dogs aren't registered and all...Just be prepared that they might not offer anything as well. If that the case...are you going to pass on the pup?

Obviously he didnt come with papers no, I purely wanted to know that what she had said to me was correct and that there wasnt any other underlying issues with his health, she has given me this and so NO he will not be 'passed on'.
The litter was not an 'oops litter' as you put it, but obviously his acccident was. They have already sold all but one more pup now, which was the one she had originally told me about before mentioning the little man I have here.
For somewhere where the fact he isnt 100% pedigree didnt matter earlier, it sure feels like it does now. Sorry if I have taken your response the wrong way, but I think you have been harsh and quite rude to me with the way you have spoken about both the hedgehog and this pup. But anyway, thats really irrelevant, I hope I have answered your queries.

Sophie x

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
[MENTION=2160]sophie82[/MENTION] when i got my bullie we had to make sure she was well so we had in our contract that even though their vet had checked out the litter, our vet would check out the bullie we picked and if any problems were detected then we would get a letter from our vet and be able to either exchange the bullie or just get a full refund with no loss to us.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2160]sophie82[/MENTION] ..... Woo Hoo! you got him!!!! But we are missing something..... PICTURES!! hahaha.. Please post some pix when you can. I'm so happy for you :) He must be darling.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very excited to see pix!!!! And very happy for you!!!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
this thread makes me just love EBN even more if that 's possible! everyone is so supportive and friendly .. just love it here! :heart:

congrats can't wait to see pics of your new puppy!! best of luck!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
How exciting! One eye or not I bet he is adorable! My pup is a similiar mix but instead of 1/4 olde tyme it's boston terrier, my Samson's dad is purebred english bulldog and mom was half english bulldog and half boston terrier. Hope to see pics of your pup soon :up:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@sophie82 Welcome to a fellow Brit ... number 3 in fact!! There is myself, [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] (who is up-north) and now you!!! I keep warning everybody that the Brits are gonna take over!! :p

I love Norfolk ... spent many holidays on the Norfolk Broads on one of the boats ... **sigh**

I have friends who now live in Norfolk and I believe they have helped rescue a couple of hedgehogs too .... @cadillactaste .. in the UK a hedgehog is not a pet and as Sophie82 mentioned if they are sick they are rescued and nursed through the winter season as they would die if they attempted to go into hibernation. Once they are well and the weather warms up they are released in to the countryside again. We have a lot of hedgehogs in the UK - unfortunately not as many as there once was though! :*(

Welcome and make sure you start posting some pics ... what is the baby bullys name??????

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I love how you called shots..jabs!! And most of all I love that you are taking this pup! I am of the belief that the papers never make the dog..love does! Congrats

Members online

No members online now.