The Newest Thing Around Here

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I live in Florida. Until about 10 years ago where we live truly was country. Imagine the theme music from the DELIVERANCE playing in the background. As long as a guy had a hunting rifle, a good rod and reel, a fishinā€™ boat, a big dog and a pickup truck with big tires, he was golden.

When we were at the Vetā€™s Friday, there was a youngish guy with a huge bulldog, solidly built (the dog, not the guy...excuse the misplaced modifier). The dog was very tall. He had the face of an Old English, but the build and body of a really big Lab. The dog was totally out of control and lunged and barked at everything. I asked the the owner if it was an Old English and he said ā€œNoā€, that it was a registered Victorian Bulldog. This was a new thing to me. He said it was the new and improved version of Ollie. I couldnā€™t ask any more because the office staff made him go and sit in a separate section with his dog. Sort of a canine naughty room.

Iā€™ve done a little a little research. These dogs are pricing like EBDs. Theyā€™d need a lot of room. Theyā€™d need a physically strong owner.

What say you all?

https://www.thedodo.com/amphtml/the-victorian-bulldog-and-its--685315492.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW... well honestly the standard EBD has multiple issues, and truth be told we are to blame. All the traits that people LOVE about them can be to their detriment... I'm curious to know if their personality is close to the standard EBD.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] her baby is a victorian

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know, probably this breed can safe the EB as the nose issue is solved on the VB.. hereā€™s another description of the VB..

The Victorian Bulldog is large-headed and thick-boned, but only to the point that it does not impede vigor. It is broad-muzzled and short-faced, but not so excessive as to interfere with breathing. The hindquarters are somewhat higher and not as heavy as its foreparts, but not so as to destroy the symmetry of a muscular athlete. The head should be large but not exaggerated out of proportion to the body. The cheeks are rounded and extend sideways beyond the eyes. The face is measured from the front of the cheekbone to the tip of the nose, long enough for unhindered breathing. The muzzle is broad and turning up, undershot but not to excess. The nostrils are large and wide. The flews are broad and hang over the lower jaw at the sides. The canine teeth are large and wide apart. The eyes from the front are set low and wide apart. The ears are either rose or button. The neck is thick, strong and arched, with loose skin forming dewlaps on each side. The shoulders are broad and deep. The chest is wide, narrowing toward the loins. The forelegs are muscular, straight and wide apart. The hind legs are strong and muscular. The hocks are slightly bent. The feet are round and compact and either straight, turning down or screwed. The coat is smooth and short. Colors include all brindles, solid white or pied, solid red, fawn or fallow

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Hereā€™s my question, if the goal is to ameliorate the deficits of the EBD, why start a whole new breed. Why wouldnā€™t breeders who are interested in fixing the breed pick healthy pups to raise and use as breeding stock? Yes, it takes time. Yes, there must be strict regulation of neutering dogs with less than desirable traits. Why malign the EBD and instead of concerted efforts through AKC and CKC strictly supervise the registration. Why start a whole new breed?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever there are "people" involved there will be those involved who are just in it for the money,and not giving a flip, if your pup will grow to be healthy,or not, they have already gotten what THEY were in it for. I agree the registry needs more regulation,but how do they do that,without going and inspecting every dog,and facility? I believe that in the UK, they do have more stringent regulations-they do with registering horses.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
When ever there are "people" involved there will be those involved who are just in it for the money,and not giving a flip, if your pup will grow to be healthy,or not, they have already gotten what THEY were in it for. I agree the registry needs more regulation,but how do they do that,without going and inspecting every dog,and facility? I believe that in the UK, they do have more stringent regulations-they do with registering horses.

In the UK they no longer crop ears or tails.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
There are still good breeders out there that try to better the breed. Theyā€™re just getting harder to find. Louieā€™s breeders donā€™t breed to get the super wrinkly faces and they do all the health testing breeders should be doing. Itā€™s a shame there are so many unhealthy bulldogs out there as they give the breed a bad name.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I live in Florida. Until about 10 years ago where we live truly was country. Imagine the theme music from the DELIVERANCE playing in the background. As long as a guy had a hunting rifle, a good rod and reel, a fishinā€™ boat, a big dog and a pickup truck with big tires, he was golden.

When we were at the Vetā€™s Friday, there was a youngish guy with a huge bulldog, solidly built (the dog, not the guy...excuse the misplaced modifier). The dog was very tall. He had the face of an Old English, but the build and body of a really big Lab. The dog was totally out of control and lunged and barked at everything. I asked the the owner if it was an Old English and he said ā€œNoā€, that it was a registered Victorian Bulldog. This was a new thing to me. He said it was the new and improved version of Ollie. I couldnā€™t ask any more because the office staff made him go and sit in a separate section with his dog. Sort of a canine naughty room.

Iā€™ve done a little a little research. These dogs are pricing like EBDs. Theyā€™d need a lot of room. Theyā€™d need a physically strong owner.

What say you all?

https://www.thedodo.com/amphtml/the-victorian-bulldog-and-its--685315492.html

Pretty similar to Olde English Bulldogges ????

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
How about a English Boodle or French Boodle- that's something I don't want to see !!!
english.boodle.jpg English Boodle
french.boodle.jpg French Boodle

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
IMO, there's little chance that the Victorian Bulldog will have temperament similar to the Bulldog(English Bulldog). I noticed that in the description there was ZERO mention of temperament...I wonder why that is. Who wants a car that looks like a Corvette but runs like a Yugo?...UGH! Maybe I'm wrong.
Also...
If that particular Victorian is supposed to be a good representation, why does it have flop ears? According to the breeding standard(some breeding standard written by someone) the ears should be either rose or button. What happened? A little too much Mastiff, perhaps?
There are many Bulldogs that live perfectly healthy, long lives. There are also many unscrupulous breeders breeding strictly for money and health be damned. There's little to be done to stop it. Eliminating the breed we all know and love is not the answer. As long as there are breeders giving secondary consideration(or no consideration) to the breeding standard and health this problem will persist. There is no remedy to this issue.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Eliminating the breed we all know and love is not the answer. As long as there are breeders giving secondary consideration(or no consideration) to the breeding standard [COLOR="#FF0000" said:
and health[/COLOR] this problem will persist. There is no remedy to this issue.

And therein lies the rub. I find it very sad.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
IMO, there's little chance that the Victorian Bulldog will have temperament similar to the Bulldog(English Bulldog). I noticed that in the description there was ZERO mention of temperament...I wonder why that is. Who wants a car that looks like a Corvette but runs like a Yugo?...UGH! Maybe I'm wrong.
Also...
If that particular Victorian is supposed to be a good representation, why does it have flop ears? According to the breeding standard(some breeding standard written by someone) the ears should be either rose or button. What happened? A little too much Mastiff, perhaps?
There are many Bulldogs that live perfectly healthy, long lives. There are also many unscrupulous breeders breeding strictly for money and health be damned. There's little to be done to stop it. Eliminating the breed we all know and love is not the answer. As long as there are breeders giving secondary consideration(or no consideration) to the breeding standard and health this problem will persist. There is no remedy to this issue.
I beg to differ with this. Frankie is a victorian bulldog and he is 100% bulldog temperament and attitude. He is honestly the best dog. What makes him even better is that he is a rescue that came to live in my home no matter what his lineage is and will live a happy and full life with us. I also have a 100% English Bulldog that is a bit of a crazy man. As far as labeling a Victorian Bulldog as totally out of control like the previous post, I would suggest that the dog was not trained properly and there in lies the problem. The owner is defective not the dog. Also for the record, a Victorian is usually a mix of an english and an american bulldog, not a mastiff.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW... well honestly the standard EBD has multiple issues, and truth be told we are to blame. All the traits that people LOVE about them can be to their detriment... I'm curious to know if their personality is close to the standard EBD.
Frankie is a Victorian Bulldog and is a lovely dog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dukeā€™s breeder has achieved a healthier EB. She will admit took a good 15yrs. But she only kept the healthy ones that has no genetic issues, tear stains etc. she even guarantees her dogs 3yrs. She always has a dna done on all of her dogs. Only thing they donā€™t pass 50lbs either. Imo EB shouldnā€™t go over 50lbs as they will most likely have a few problems down the road with joints and all. Simply the way they are structured.
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] I had a few members that told me Nyala wasnā€™t a real EB and I got sucked in or blah blah blah...Iā€™ve turned the page as we say... true Nyala is not an EB but a Bantam EB or some will say bantam bulldog. That breed has been around since the early 1800s and started to disappear in the UK. Some American in...I think it was Missouri. So long time ago he brought some back to US and kept it going. They do have just a tad longer nose n no big wrinkles/rope and itā€™s find with me. I love my Iron Lady. Sheā€™s da best! Great job on rescuing Frankie cause he sure has a great momma!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.