Fighting

GoldenAir

Aug 18, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Woody, Stella
Hello all!. New member question: I have two kids- Woody (male) born 10-22-11 and Stella (female) born 07-05-16. Up until about one week ago, they have been best friends. Out of the blue, now they are not getting along at all and fighting- not wrestling like they used to do all the time, but sure enough fighting! Has anyone else experienced this? It seems Stella is starting them the majority of the time, but Woody has had some issues too. At this point, I am having to keep them in separate rooms, and it's really sad. Can someone help us?

2bullies

May 14, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bunny
Good news is you're not alone. Bad news is I haven't found a solution yet for the fighting mine do. Mine are a 4 yr old Frenchie male and 3 yr old English. They're best friends and sleep on each other most nights but about once every week or 2, they get into a scary fight and someone ends up bleeding (sometimes me from breaking up the fight).

The fights almost always occur only when my wife or I are near, making it appear that it may be them being protective, guarding the other one from getting near my wife or I. In fact, I don't recall them ever fighting if one of us wasn't near.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's a really tough situation. I don't have an answer for you as I had an English bulldog and French bulldog, both females, and the two would fight badly about once a week, and the rest of the time were friends. I tried ,and recommend, being alpha, practicing "nothing in life is free" Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States , not allowing dog on couch or bed. You might want to get in a personal trainer to give you tips. Ultimately I decided to give up the English Bulldog because she was younger and more likely to get adopted and I had got her fairly recently. The other alternative is to partition off your house into one portion for one dog and another portion for the other if all the techniques I mentioned above didn't work and if you don't want to give her away.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a male that will be turning 5, and a female that will be turning 3 this year... at first everything was great, but BOY did she turn. It got to the point where I needed my personal trainer to get involved... and it helped tremendously. NOW we notice the triggers and try to avoid them at all if possible... most of Willow's issues are guarding. I always keep my emergency tools around (water bottle and if things escalate quickly a cookie sheet :facepalm2: )

I highly recommend a good personal trainer that will come into your home an access the situation.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
To have any chance of recovering the alpha position in the home, start with what Dolly Owner says. And like Tracey, we keep a water bottle handy get ahead of any kind of aggression. Living with 4 female bulldogs we get an occasional(actually they're quite rare) scuffle but it's quickly put to bed by either Sandy or myself.
Sandy is ALPHA in the home and I'm next...as far as the Bulldogs are concerned. :D
Most of the time the females are the ones starting the incidences and usually it's because of territory/possession guarding. You are likely one of your female's possessions. Once the male enters the "Mommy Zone", it's game on. The male usually relents for first few times but eventually he'll begin to stand his ground. This is when it can get ugly.
Until you can get a handle on this I recommend a Martingale collar(properly adjusted) on both dogs and a short(2-3' lead) that you can easily get a hold of. NEVER reach between 2 fighting dogs with your hands. I have stepped between many fighting dogs over the years and used my shins and knees to keep them apart. A bite on the calf or ankle is rare and not nearly as bad as a bite on a finger, hand, wrist, or arm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with all that has been stated... We had a 9 yr training session with our girl Banks— she hated all female dogs, and tolerated male dogs in our home. We had to remain consistent and always keep the same rules regardless of the situation or who was with her.

She on several occasions attack the make dog in the home, but we were always able to stop her with water or a vibration collar.

Nothing in life is free... helped us greatly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.