Help - Wilson just got caught eating POOP!! YUK!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
OMG I'm not sure what to say, except YUK! I just caught him mackin' down on some fresh poop of my other dog. I've never ever had a dog that eats poop. It's disgusting and I do not want him giving me kisses now.

Any suggestions cause I do NOT want a dog that eats poop? Oh it was fresh poop too.:chapped:

EDIT: I'd like to add we're still transitioning from Science Diet to Wellness for Puppies. It's 70% Wellness now. He's also looked like he was going to eat it since we got him but I've never actually seen him eat it.

I just started feeding him 3 times daily now too and added a tablespoon of canned Wellness for Puppies to his last meal.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh @jeanneco..we had a dog do this once..what could possibly be good to them?? We got a rx from vet and it's a supplement you put in your other dogs food. Makes poo "undesirable"...lol..we only had to use it 2 days and our dog was cured!!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey Becky, I've read before that a bit of Pineapple helps, as does canned pumpkin, spinach and a dash of meat tenderizer. Of course we'd have to add it to my other dog since it's his poop he was eating....gross to me but good to him. NASTY! :poo:

Is the supplement Nuvet? We got a sample from our breeder and I've seen that before - that's the link that's in your post too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey Becky, I've read before that a bit of Pineapple helps, as does canned pumpkin, spinach and a dash of meat tenderizer. Of course we'd have to add it to my other dog since it's his poop he was eating....gross to me but good to him. NASTY! :poo:

Is the supplement Nuvet? We got a sample from our breeder and I've seen that before - that's the link that's in your post too.

Wow..I didn't put that link in my post!! Big brother...eeeek...I'm sorry I don't remember the name..it's very inexpensive and works like magic. Ya..our other dog..the victim.. Dint seem to mind the stuff being in his food. I'm with you..nasty!!

You know. One of jakes brothers was doing this too!! They got med from vet also and it did work...so far!!

Last edited:

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
LMAO at having to make :poo: more "undesirable" hahahaha..... Wasnt that part of Bill Engvalls stand up?

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Haha, actually not all that uncommon of a problem! I worked with a vet for several years and there were lots of dogs that did that. I've never had a dog that did it though, thankfully!

There's supplements that you can give the other dog as mentioned. I've also recently heard of a supplement you can actually give the dog that's eating the poop. Someone at the dog park told me about it? Might be worth looking into.

You definitely want to curb that habit though, considering all of the bad things that can be in poop!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I would try meat tenderizer first...if that doesn't work, then call your vet and have him get you a box of Coproban. They look like little beef jerky treats and they make the poop taste bad to the dog. Try the meat tenderizer first...just a sprinkle on your dogs food...it won't hurt him or her and it will do the same thing.

gizmo49ers

Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco, Roxy, Nico, Tank
HI there, I'm not sure how old your pup is but this is not an uncommon thing. My male used to do the same when he was a pup ,and I tried many things to try and deter him from the poop, at times it did not work. This is what worked for me. Excel Deter Coprophagia Treatment, they are chew tabs, you can get it at Petsmart. It discourages puppies and dogs from consuming feces. You give the chew tabs according to your pups weight. You must address this quickly, because it can become a habitual behavior. I hope this helps you and your pup. Take care.
Bridgette and the bullies

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My dogs don't seem to eat each other poops ... but apparently the cats poop is a delicacy ................... :barf:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
My dogs don't seem to eat each other poops ... but apparently the cats poop is a delicacy ................... :barf:

Oh, yes!!! The infamous kitty cruchies. :barf: For some reason Matilda is fond of these too.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I truly appreciate it. I will try the stuff you can get at Petsmart, I can get that tonight. Do I need to give that to my other dog too? It's definately the line for me, I can handle the licking down under, etc. but not eating :poo:.

He also doesn't want to eat this morning. He's usually very energetic but he's been pretty sleeping since 8 last night.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I truly appreciate it. I will try the stuff you can get at Petsmart, I can get that tonight. Do I need to give that to my other dog too? It's definately the line for me, I can handle the licking down under, etc. but not eating :poo:.

He also doesn't want to eat this morning. He's usually very energetic but he's been pretty sleeping since 8 last night.

Hi Jeanne..if it works like other stuff..you only give it to dog whose poo your Wilson is eating..NOT Wilson..it will make your other dogs poo ..get ready..taste and smell bad to Wilson!!!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
We call our Aussie the "Turdinator"...Yep...she went through a time where she ate poo. I have taught her the command "Leave it" and she'll walk away from it. But that particular breed listens well. You'll have to let me know how the stuff works for you...I heard the stuff purchased at the pet stores doesn't always work. [I hadn't heard you could get anything from the vet] Thus I taught my pup to "leave it" and she'll turn and walk away from it.

Though...it really disturbed my husband...so for Christmas he got the book "Why dogs eat Poop" from...Ahsoka aka turdinator. :D They really don't know why dogs eat poop...but say that they are not the only animal species that do so. But it's a cute book with tons of information on all sorts of animals and insects.

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have read that pineapple does the trick.

Of course it amazes me that we have to find ways to make poop undelectable to our bullys. :barf:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.