Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Ok guys, maybe ya'll can help me here. My poor baby girl has an upset tummy today. It started with a little bit of smelly gas last night. This morning she still had the gas but then she had that look like she has a bad taste in her mouth. After that look she threw up a little bit. Any advise would be helpful. I gave her a little bread this morning to try and settle her tummy.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Try a bland diet, 1 part boiled ground beef or chicken and one part white rice. Add a couple spoon fulls of cottage cheese if you can or if you have it. I also give Samson pedialyte because once they start throwing up they get dehydrated then they drink a bunch of water which will make them overly full and throw up again then they get even more dehydrated, and it goes on like that, vicious cycle.

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, I do have the stuff for the bland diet. Can it be any flavor pedialyte?? I mhave a 2 year old so all I have on hand is grape and strawberry.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I would be leery of giving Grape. Only because Grapes are toxic to dogs. Though I doubt they use actual grape juice in that stuff. But...I would still have trouble feeding anything "grape" to my fur kids.

Bene-bac...something to keep on hand too...it settles a tummy.

Now...bulldogs can have issues with vomiting in the morning due to an empty stomach...if you find this happens in the mornings a lot. A snack before bedtime can help with this particular issue as well.

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bene-bac... Ok, where can i get that?? Its not that she is hungry, has food when ever she needs it. My local breeder suggested I free feed her for a while. Matilda was a bit underweight when I took her to meet them last month. The breeder I got her from had her on Hill Science Diet. I took her off of that. She really wasn't fond of it and really only ate it if she was really hungry. On her second puppy visit with the vet she was gaining weight. 15.5 pounds on March 22.

gizmo49ers

Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco, Roxy, Nico, Tank
HI there, and sorry to hear that your bully has an upset stomach. When my pups have the Bubbly guts, I give them 1 tums, no flavor. It usually happens in the morning when they have an empty stomach. They like to eat on schedule, twice a day. Sometimes they will eat after they throw up, and sometimes not. When they have the bubbly guts, they like to eat grass, it helps to settle their stomach. The throw up is only a one time thing not continuous. If it is continuous with your pup, then I would not feed her for 24 hours and start with a bland diet. I always have UNflavored Pedialyte on hand, give her as much as she will drink, not a bowl full. I use a plastic syringe to use in giving the pedialtye. I hope this helps and she starts to feel better. Take care.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION] I too would immediately switch her to a bland diet ... and in the case of emergencies I actually keep some canned dog food to mix in with the rice. So much easier and faster in emergencies if you don't have a lot of time to prepare hamburger meat or chicken!!! The bland diet is great and I would use that for two to three days with a tablespoon of cottage cheese.

I do have to say ... first of all :bravo: for getting her off that Hills Science food .. but what did you switch her to, and also did you switch gradually or did you just change her over???

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION]
Bene-bac... Ok, where can i get that?? Its not that she is hungry, has food when ever she needs it. My local breeder suggested I free feed her for a while. Matilda was a bit underweight when I took her to meet them last month. The breeder I got her from had her on Hill Science Diet. I took her off of that. She really wasn't fond of it and really only ate it if she was really hungry. On her second puppy visit with the vet she was gaining weight. 15.5 pounds on March 22.

I got my first bene-bac from the breeder when I picked Ahsoka up. And I've just ordered it online afterward. So I'm not really sure if you can get this at say...a pet store or at a vet office. Possibly at a vet office...it's not that expensive in my opinion...when I seen how well it worked. They do have expiration dates...so I wouldn't buy TONS of the stuff. But it is definitely something that is worth keeping on hand.

BENE-BAC FOR MULTI ANIMAL 15GM (PRO PACK) - DiscountedPetProducts.Net

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I switched her to Royal Canin for now. She seems to like it and it seems to be ok for her right now. I was told to try this by a local breeder. Switching her I didn't do it gradually. The breeder gave me a ziplock bag full of the meduim puppy and Matilda was trying to rip into it in the truck on the way home. I know all too well about bulldogs allergies with certain ingredients in dog food so I am keeping an eye on that. I have been reading and there are so many options on what to feed her.

Also I was wondering if someone could give me a list of items I should have on hand for bulldogs many problems. I have heard benadryl, coated asprin, destinex. But I know there is more.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.